Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge I need to get my priorities straight…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Yesterday was Wednesday (it’s about 12:00 Pacific Time now). Usually I love Wednesdays. Two hours of KM classes, some good TV on the DVR, and it’s “hump day” so the week is half way over…

Unfortunately this Wednesday marked the 3rd week in a row that I have had to miss Krav. My wife seems to think it is a good thing because of lame things like being sick, having to finish projects for graduation, studying for finals, and helping her with the newborn son. I think none of these things will matter at all if I get attacked on my way out to my car after slaving away at the library for the last 14 hours on some research.

I’ll be too tired and too out of practice to defend against a choke from the side!!
    My pluck will be piss poor!
    I’ll barely be able to tap the crotch!
    My elbows will feel like soft kisses!
    My knees will be like gentle love taps to the abdomen!

I tried to explain this to my wife but she seems to think I’m crazy. Why can’t women understand basic logic? What good does all my post grad work do me if I’m too dead to apply for a job?

I feel better now…

satilan

Re: I need to get my priorities straight…

Lol dude, you’re funny.

Yes, there is always a chance of being attacked and yes you should keep training. But your wife has a point. You can’t live your life in fear forever! If you do, then all those street criminals win…

There was a thread a couple of months ago about how aware of their surroundings people are when walking the streets… there were many people on this forum saying that when on the street, they behave basicaly like the Terminator – you know, scanning constantly, assessing threats from everywhere, I don’t know! peeking through corners and securing rooms… come on! You cannot be obsessed forever about the 0.01% chance that you will be mugged or attacked today… you gotta live your life a little bit, otherwise – you will live to be 120 years old b/c you always defended yourself and were completely 100% aware of your surroundings but what kinda life is that? constantly stressed and worried, almost paranoid!

My conclusion is that it is important not to be “asking for it” i.e. don’t be texting on your phone while walking to your car at night in Compton… but also don’t behave like a watch dog the whole time. If you need to study for a Phd or spend time with your kid and wife, it seems to me of higher priority… try to get your time management right and eventually you’ll find a time to do what you like to do… And don’t worry, most Krav Maga techniques like the pluck, the elbow, and the knee tend to stay with you, like learning to ride a bicycle… they are designed to be “natural”.

P.S. Good Luck.

quote Satilan:

Lol dude, you’re funny.

Thanks… That’s usually my goal…

quote Satilan:

My conclusion is that it is important not to be “asking for it” i.e. don’t be texting on your phone while walking to your car at night in Compton…

I couldn’t agree more. I firmly believe that about 95% of crimes are crimes of opportunity. A thug sees a guy walking out of an ATM all by himself late at night and counting his $20 bills as he walks to his car talking on his cell phone, somebody sees the door to your car unlocked so they reach in and grab the iPod they see on the seat, etc…

I think if a “professional” criminal is out to get you then they’re probably going to get you. If somebody wants to ambush me, I can’t spend my whole life looking around every corner for them. However… I CAN avoid the lion’s share of problems by not making myself an opportune target.

satilan

quote DirtyHippieUte:

I think if a “professional” criminal is out to get you then they’re probably going to get you. If somebody wants to ambush me, I can’t spend my whole life looking around every corner for them. However… I CAN avoid the lion’s share of problems by not making myself an opportune target.

Of course. But at what price?
    Training in self defense is important and it is probably also something you like to do. So I’m sure you’ll get back to it when you have the opportunity. This means that, in the sense of protecting yourself from attacks, you’re doing more than the average person already. Will that ever be enough in case you get attacked? Well, that remains to be seen – but you are already at a major advantage. Also, remember that “professional criminals” will pick opportunity prey that looks weak (like you’ve mentioned). So, no, you don’t have to by in a constant state of hypervigilence but you could avoid counting your $20 bills at night while talking on the phone…

A smart man once told me that in case you’re swiming in the sea and a shark comes you don’t need to swim faster than the shark, just faster than the guy next to you…

mara-jade

You’re being too hard on yourself. Enjoy your time with your little one – THAT’s important. Krav will still be there waiting for you.

All of us at one time or another have had to take time off – whether it was due to injury, family or what have you. Do what you need to, enjoy your family and ENJOY LIFE. thumbsup

Like you said, you can be aware of your surroundings but don’t be paranoid about it. No offense man, but if you’re gonna worry all the time about what’s out there, you might as well just don’t leave the house.

clfmak

I hope all your work hasn’t been interfering with your “hump day” activities as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: