Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics I suck at inside defense. Any training tips?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    tank-sinatra

I’m really discouraged right now. Outside strike defenses are no problem but I am struggling defending against straight lefts and rights. I don’t know if I freeze, if I’m afraid of being hit and move backwards or what but I need help big time. Is there any way to condition myself to get through this? It just seems so unnatural to want to move forward into a punch while I deflect it and I can’t seem to override my natural instinct to pull away. I wish there were some way to work on this in my free time as we do not cover it in class as often as I need to improve.

As a start you can practise with your back against a wall so you can’t move backwards

usnavy-233

Try not to think of it as blocking a punch. Try to think of it as setting up a counter. That’ll help work through the mental portion of stepping back. It’s hard to throw a good counter if you’re body is moving back while you’re trying to throw a punch forward.

So, rather than just thinking about the defense itself, try to remember that you’re going to be throwing a counter attack as soon as you’ve eliminated the threat (the punch is this case). Hopefully this will help you with moving your upper body forward and rotating slightly to prep a good punch. And of course, just keep practicing. You can \”dry fire\” this in a mirror while at home. It may not be quite as efficient, but it’ll help you train the appropriate response.

Good luck.

taikei

Punch and inside defense both have similar starting motion.
    Inside defense without much momentum from whole body mechanism.
    If you are doing some slow spar, don’t wait for opponent’s punch but go for inside defense just as you are trying to punch. Difference is matter of palm or fist. At least you will be learning portion of inside D and punching.

Also whenever you are holding pair of focus mits for your partner, observe the punch carefully and imagine what you will do with that punch. The mit that has not been hit, should slide his or her forearm. Although you don’t have to do this, it may be a good habit to make a slight move.

Take advantage of any punching situations.

johnwhitman

Slow training!
    Krav Maga is a fast, explosive, aggressive system…but there are times when some slow training works wonders. It removes the fear of being hurt; it allows you to see your mistakes and think about correcting them before the next punch; it allows you to feel what your body as doing as it is happening.

anonymous

You could also work in front of the mirror. Just do the motion slowly, watch yourself, make sure you are moving correctly. Then do it with a partner.

usnavy-233

Re:

quote \”Giantkiller\:

You could also work in front of the mirror. Just do the motion slowly, watch yourself, make sure you are moving correctly. Then do it with a partner.

Yeah, I always prefer to do it with a partner! 😉

I’m sorry, that was wrong. I couldn’t help myself.

At any rate, you’re getting some good advice here. Like I said earlier, it may not be as good as going full speed, but it will definitely get you more proficient so that you can go full speed safely. I find myself practicing my 1/2/3/4 combo in my bathroom mirror every time I go into my bedroom. It helps me rep the important stuff that I used to forget when I went full speed like keeping the wrist straight and elbow level when I’m hooking, dipping my body when throwing an uppercut, etc etc. I think there’s definitely something to be said about practicing the fundamentals slowly, in a mirror.

tank-sinatra

These are really good tips. Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

kravjeff

Tank: You’ve gotten some excellent advice here!

The only other thing I’d add is this – Work with a partner that you trust using headgear, a mouthguard and gloves (either 16 oz or grappling gloves – Boxing gloves can change the dynamic a bit because of their size – I find them a bit \”cumbersome\” and actually prefer grappling gloves or none at all to drill). Anyway, start slow and light, working up speed and strength of punches (both attakcks and counters). Go lightly (~ 30%) and switch who is attacking/defending; practice several straight rights in a row, then several straight lefts, then mix it up (combos) aiming for the forehead (specifically the headgear – Just don’t get used to aiming at the forehead!). Be sure your training is as \”live\” as possible, practicing footwork, movement, angles etc …

This drill will help your vision, footwork and movement as mentioned above, will allow you to \”eat\” some punches without suffering and will also help to get past the mental part, while teaching your body the correct \”unnatural\” movements you’re struggling with.

Finally, I was having a similar problem countering simultaneously with 360 degree defenses – My body just wouldn’t move that way. I spent a long time on the bag just \”defending\” each angle while throwing straight punches on the bag – Worked wonders!

Best of luck – Train hard!

KJ

jl

Tank,
    Just one additional idea to go along with the others. Set up a Video Camera and spar lightly and do your training drills. Then go back and check it out. There is alot of info you can get about your tendencies when in video. The camera doesn’t lie. Bobbing and weaving should be practiced at length. I think movement is extremely important in your quest to perfect your defenses. Good luck. JL

dkst

I think the hardest part is not closing your eyes when a punch is coming at you. Here is what I did to get over it, simply take your hand and smack yourself in the face while keeping your eyes open. I’m not talking hard, what you are doing is training your eyes to stay open.

I do agree with the advice that has been give. How ever, never practice punching in the forehead, also aim for the chin, bad habits form when you are learning.

kravmdjeff

Tank, also-when you are practicing, be sure to work with a partner that has good technique on their straight punches. That way it will make the most sense to have the redirecting motion going the smoothest. That kind of partner will also benefit the most doing slow work as well, like John suggested. Once your confidence is built up in the defense and you can do it close to full-speed with that person, then it’ll be a lot easier to transition into people with less-than-ideal punching technique

kravjeff

\”I do agree with the advice that has been give. How ever, never practice punching in the forehead, also aim for the chin, bad habits form when you are learning.\”

My suggestion was not to \”practice punching in the forehead\” but rather to take advantage of the headgear, removing the \”fear factor\” of getting hit, because some contact will inevitably be made. Big difference IMHO, and appropriate, provided that you’re cognizant of it, and that don’t train this way all of the time and / or allow bad habits to develop – You can train this way without developing bad habits, just like punching past, or short of the target as opposed to smashing you pratner in the face everytime you do combatives.

If you’re pulling punches, I agree, aim for the chin/nose/throat etc … However, I was suggesting utilizing this drill making contact.

dkst, I see your from Chicago – I’ll be there next week – Any suggestions where I can drop in and train once or twice?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: