Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics I want to learn Krav Maga and I am looking for some advice

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bbmjack

Hi, I am looking to learn a martial art and after a lot of searching around the internet, I found that krav maga seemed the most appealing. My reasons for wanting to learn is that i would like to get more in shape and also to teach myself some self discipline, aswell as learning to defend myself. However I havent been able to find the answers to some of my questions. Firstly, I am 18 years old and I am very short 5’4, i weigh about 55kg. Would this be a problem? or would krav maga be suitable for me seeing as I would learn to defend myself (being an easy target because i am small)?

Also, I am looking for something I can really be passionate about, something I can study for a long time and something i can take pride in. But I have heard that the training is very physical. I dont mind being knocked about a little bit, but I am not looking to get hurt at every training session. So how physical is the training exactly? I think that a little pain will do me good though.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: I want to learn Krav Maga and I am looking for some advice

Go take a trial class or two and see what you’ll be in for. It can get physical at times but I haven’t run into a situation where an instructor or student took it too far with another student. On the flip side, you may be referring to the workout you get from a Krav class. It can be intense, but you’ll get out of it what you put into it. If my converter is working right you’re around 121 pounds, and nothing to worry about. You’d be surprised what a smaller and lighter person can do to a larger and more powerful person. A throat strike or groin strike would hurt Brock Lesnar just as much as it would hurt you.

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum,

I would be a liar if I told you’ll NEVER get hurt during training. It’s happened to my hubby and I quite a few times. Krav was designed for you to defend yourself, especially under high level stress. Getting attacked does mean being physical and you won’t get around that with Krav.

If you have any doubts that Krav will work, all I can say is try a class and find out for yourself.

Don’t worry about your current shape, unless you have current medical issues to take into consideration. You’ll be winded, tired, but after a time, you keep doing it, you’ll get through it.

Think of it this way-some bumps, bruises, etc is a very small price to pay to be able to defend yourself and those you care about. I’d rather be bruised up, etc than to have my a$$ handed to me out in the street.

I’m 5’2” myself and if I give a groin or knee that person WILL go down.

Hope this helps:wav:

quote mara_jade:

Welcome to the forum,

I would be a liar if I told you’ll NEVER get hurt during training. It’s happened to my hubby and I quite a few times. Krav was designed for you to defend yourself, especially under high level stress. Getting attacked does mean being physical and you won’t get around that with Krav.

Funny story, today we were doing knife defense drills and my partner and I went in at eachother; he went lower and I caught a headbutt to the bridge of the nose. Not broken, just a little cut.

unstpabl1

Many of the best pro fighters are lightweights. Their fast and they can hurt you.. Size should never be a limiting factor. saenchai is Fighter Of The Decade in Thailand and I think he’s only fightind at around 130 lbs at this point late in his career

As far as the toughness of the training thats relative and everyone has there own limitations. There are people starting krav in their 50’s and 60’s and people who’ve worked around back issues, arthritis and even chemo to train so for an 18 y/o its simply a matter of showing up and doing the work. All martial training is physicaly demanding but it has a lot of rewards for those who show up

good luck

bbmjack

Thanks for all the advice, it has really helped. I think I am going to visit a class nearby me and just sit in on a lesson. Then if all goes well ill go to the induction class.

Thanks everyone.

Good for you! Let us know how it goes!

tomo

quote bbmjack:

Thanks for all the advice, it has really helped. I think I am going to visit a class nearby me and just sit in on a lesson. Then if all goes well ill go to the induction class.

Thanks everyone.

Good….and just to throw in my two cents. Don’t let your size be a limiting factor. Size and weight always can make a difference but that’s where it just becomes more important to perfect “form”. The answer to size & strength is form and technique.

That was one of the early lessons I got from Krav. I’m 5’10” 250lbs…I bench 365# and squat 495#. I’m not weak…I’m not small. Both of my instructors are smaller and weaker than me and to tell you the truth I wouldn’t mess with eith one of these guys knowing what I know.

Technique…technique…technique…with it you don’t need size and strength, you have leverage and speed.

….and besides, as it’s been pointed out already; a solid groin strike or punch to the throat can take me down just as easily as it can anyone. thumbsup

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: