Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Ibuprofen No Help for Muscle Soreness

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jjbklb

April’s Runners World (pg.84)
    shoots down the idea that Vitamin I (ibuprofen) is good to take for muscle soreness during prolonged exercise.

A study on 100-mile Western States Endurance Runners showed that ibuprofen failed to reduce muscle pain or soreness,and blood tests revealed that ibuprofen takers had greater levels of inflammation than those who eschewed the drug.Bottom line:”There is absolutely no reason for runners to be using ibuprofen,” says study leader David Nieman,Ph.D.

t-j

Re: Ibuprofen No Help for Muscle Soreness

It help my tendonitis though. Seems to make the swelling go down.

blindfold

My doctor told me Aleve works.

Usually I don’t get much muscle soreness, but when I was sick he explained to me about it. Because I was dying on some days, just after the misery had left. 😛

miriam

Arnica is supposed to reduce swelling and bruising. I don’t take OTC or prescription stuff unless my life depends on it. I refused Vicodin after having ACL replacement surgery. So when I needed to take something for swelling and pain my knowledgeable doc recommended that I try Arnica, which you can get at Whole Foods or similar health food source.

check it:

GENERIC NAME: ARNICA (Arnica montana) –

USES: Arnica flowers have been used for reducing the swelling and pain of bruises, sprains, muscle or joint problems, swelling of the veins under the skin (superficial phlebitis), and for insect bites. It has also been used as a mouthwash for swollen gums and mouth ulcers. Some herbal/diet supplement products have been found to contain possibly harmful impurities/additives. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use. The FDA has not reviewed this product for safety or effectiveness. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.

I’d have to see that study to know how much faith I’ll put in to it. Maybe the key is “muscle” soreness. I don’t know if ibuprofen does anything to help process lactic acid so that could be true.

For joint pains I’ve been on a high vitamin I diet for years and have never had a complaint.

vwr32

I think we’re talking multiple types of soreness/pain. The one mentioned in the first post was a study of ibuprofin taken to relieve muscle pain during prolonged exercise. For that I’ve seen articles that point to caffeine as being a possible route to prolong exhaustion:

quote :

Caf elevated the acetyl-CoA/CoA-SH ratio at rest (0.316 +/- 0.046 vs. 0.201 +/- 0.023; P less than 0.05) but had no effect on the increases in muscle acetyl-CoA and acetylcarnitine during exercise. The results indicate that Caf before exercise decreased muscle glycogenolysis by approximately 55% over the first 15 min of exercise at approximately 80% VO2max. [i]This “spared glycogen” was available late in exercise and coincided with a prolonged time to exhaustion.[/i]

Source: http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/262/6/E891?ck=nck

As for muscle soreness resulting from lifting/training, I’ve always read that it isn’t harmful to keep training. In fact, if I get sore from lifting, I decrease weight and retrain the exercises which made me sore in the first place. Working thru it has always seemed to make it go away pretty quick.

For general pain from inflammation, I’d take ibuprofen long before I took arnica based on a quick google search tho: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3X_Arnica.asp?sitearea=ETO

EDIT: And if you’re taking an asprin regiment for heart health, don’t take Ibuprofen: http://www.chiro.org/LINKS/ABSTRACTS/Do_Not_Chase_Aspirin.shtml

tatdad

Soreness is weekness leaving the body. If it is just muscle Soreness just work through it, but you need to know your body, if it is unusual soreness or pain maybe try Fish oil for joint pain, or just a day off. I have also heard of using cider vinegar soaked into a cloth and heated then wraped around the affected area, i have never tried this but i heard it works.

talktoazza

Although I am new to Krav I do have a pretty solid amount of knowledge when it comes to medicine and supplementation. For sore muscles and increased muscle recovery I would suggest taking Glutamine. It is naturally occuring in the body, so you don’t have to worry about your body getting acclimated to something foreign and it is flavorless so you can mix it in with your water or protein shakes.

talktoazza

Oops, you can find it in any GNC or Vitamin Shoppe

bradm

I have used both Aleve and Arnica. Both worked for me. I just recently started takeing Glucosamine for my old joints. Since I just started, I haven’t feltany effects yet. I’ll have to keep that Glutimine (sp) in mind also.

tatdad

quote Talktoazza:

Although I am new to Krav I do have a pretty solid amount of knowledge when it comes to medicine and supplementation. For sore muscles and increased muscle recovery I would suggest taking Glutamine. It is naturally occuring in the body, so you don’t have to worry about your body getting acclimated to something foreign and it is flavorless so you can mix it in with your water or protein shakes.

glutamine does work and well, but be sure to take it at the appropriate time, imeadeatly after the workout

vwr32

quote TatDad:

glutamine does work and well, but be sure to take it at the appropriate time, imeadeatly after the workout

Are u taking L-glutamine or glutamine peptides?

unstpabl1

[quote=Miriam;32273]Arnica is supposed to reduce swelling and bruising. I don’t take OTC or prescription stuff unless my life depends on it. I refused Vicodin after having ACL replacement surgery. So when I needed to take something for swelling and pain my knowledgeable doc recommended that I try Arnica, which you can get at Whole Foods or similar health food source.quote]

Did you feel any effects? I’ve never felt any relief from it at all. Ice works especially if I ice down quickly. I was the same way with drugs till I developed gout from that point on I was like give the damn vicodin now:tantrum: Like today:(:

talktoazza

I supplement my workouts with protein throughout the day, creatine pre-workout and then L-Glutamine immediately following my workout

jay99

Let us not forget that to much ibuprofen will burn a hole in the stomach lining. I think we have all figured out by now that doing this stuff as much as we do is going to leave you with a pretty constant stream of some nagging little injury. Accordingly it is wise to seek out more natural remedies or supplements rather than only an otc med that can do more harm than good with a little to much use.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: