Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    smart11222

What are some things you should do if you are unable to make classes for a while. ( 3-4 weeks maybe more) To not lose what you have learned in class?

giant-killer

Re: If you miss classes?

Maybe go over the motions slowly, by yourself, imagining someone choking you or attacking you. If you can’t come because you are leaving town for a while, you could also check to see if there is another KM school in the city you are going to (they should let you take a few classes for free).

jay99

It is not exactly the same but you can throw the Bas workouts on an ipod and still shadw box the routines paying close attention to form. I was home for the holidays for about 10 days and it helped me out. I am a little less optimistic about other schools as I tried contacting one in New Jersey several times and got no response. You can also slowly train from the book to help keep your mind on the techniques.

mara-jade

I review the moves in the KM book, go over them in my mind as well as do them slow to get the techniques down.

If you know some of your fellow students, maybe give them a call and see what you missed.

Also, don’t forget about the endurance part. Hubby and I have gone through that when we hadn’t been in class in a long time. What a PITA to get that back.rofl2

Adding to what Mara Jade said you should definitely keep your endurance up and do some type of aerobics exercise during your time off. Keeping yourself in shape will help when you get back to class again.

la-revancha

Bas’s workout.

Hands down, the companion for every krav magista, IMO.

I also have a power yoga DVD I have been doing for 4 years now. Flexibility, alleviation of back pain, and ability to breath/relax while in pretzel-like, uncomfortable positions greatly assist in my krav, bjj, and judo training.

But really, just get the Bas workout.

haru

What is a good yoga DVD…did a quick search for “power yoga” on amazon and it came up with quite a few different ones.

I am interested in improving flexibility, but getting a good overall yoga workout too.

As far as the question at hand…I have a B.O.B. punching bag at home and use it quite a bit for Bas workouts…but it’s also good for practicing self defense from chokes to bearhugs and even decent for some practice with groundwork. It is of course a bit difficult to take on the road if you are traveling, but is a really good workout tool if at home.

mara-jade

Hi Haru,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum:wav:. Feel free to stay awhile and look around.thumbsup

la-revancha

quote Haru:

What is a good yoga DVD…did a quick search for “power yoga” on amazon and it came up with quite a few different ones.

I am interested in improving flexibility, but getting a good overall yoga workout too.

Search function.

http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=2160&highlight=power+yoga

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

If you really feel like punishing yourself or are just bored with the same routine do the techniques and or the Bas tapes backwards – meaning your opposite stance.

I take level 1 & 2 classes all the time and do the whole class weakside. Sounds easy until you try it under stress or do pad/Bas drills full out.

Fun Stuff!

haru

quote mara_jade:

Hi Haru,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum:wav:. Feel free to stay awhile and look around.thumbsup

Thanks for the welcome MJ…I do a little more lurking that posting…in other words when I have a chance…but I post when I feel I have something of value I can add.

mara-jade

No pressure but don’t feel like anything about KM you wanna ask isn’t worth asking. Everyone started somewherethumbsup

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: