Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Importance or Lack Thereof of High Kicks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    kmman

Related to me “Flexibility” thread are high kicks relatively important as I advance in KM? In JKD, kicks were practiced but the focus was more on using your closest weapon to your opponents closest target so a front kick, for example, might go to your opponents front knee. You’d rarely throw a rear leg kick to the head due to distance.

Are these principles similar in KM? Not that I can kick anyone to the head anyway unless they are on the ground.

saruotoko

Re: Importance or Lack Thereof of High Kicks

quote KMMAN:

Related to me “Flexibility” thread are high kicks relatively important as I advance in KM? In JKD, kicks were practiced but the focus was more on using your closest weapon to your opponents closest target so a front kick, for example, might go to your opponents front knee. You’d rarely throw a rear leg kick to the head due to distance.

Are these principles similar in KM? Not that I can kick anyone to the head anyway unless they are on the ground.

Hmm….I’m not sure I’d throw a front-kick at someone’s knee….too easy to miss. Side kick? Absolutely.

I’ve had it explained to me that we do higher kicks later in the system so that we can learn to defend against them. But I’m with you, I’d never throw a kick to the head unless the head is lower to the ground (due to a groin strike, or something that doubled over the attacker)….or if the attacker is on the ground and I had reason to apply a kick to their head at that point. I’d suggest that Krav has a KISS attitude towards higher kicks.

There are good reasons for the kicks we do higher in the system. The inside/outside slap-kicks for example, can be used to clear an attacker’s hands from the front of their body to throw a follow-up combative.

In and of themselves, the higher kicks are a little troublesome (to me) in a vacuum for our use in Krav Maga. I think you’ll always see/hear an instructor provide a clear context/scenario(s) for where they would be of use within the principles of the system.

Coming from a Korean MA background, I’m well versed with all kinds of kicks, and can nail targets of varying height. But I won’t use them unless it’s the best weapon for the scenario, i.e. the attacker is at a distance. For example, a pop-up round kick is a nice kick to have in your arsenal, but it’s pretty useless as a primary combative, unless you’re in a Jet Li movie.

🙂

Did that help?

Mario

kmman

Sorry…I was thinking of a side kick with a shuffle using the front leg.

Thanks for your response, its helpful!

As I understand it high kicks tend to be discouraged as one’s 1st choice in the KM toolbox for the reason that there’s more to go wrong: they take longer to execute & you are more exposed..

Just like saruotoko pointed out, stuff like high roundhouse kicks to the head are used in the group I train with only to practice KM defenses against them.

There is an offensive scissor-type front kick to the chin though..

But generally people are encouraged by our instructor to keep kicks low..

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

I get asked this question a lot in fight class and my typical response is no its not wise in a street fighting scenario to use high kicks for numerous reasons. Mostly having to do with balance and accuracy. In sparring for fun in class they can be something to take out of the tool box to play around with but for the most part I steer away from using them as a combative.

In MMA guys like GSP, Cung Lee, Machida use them effectively however most people are not them and lack the timing/repetitive training to pull them off effectively.

Keeping in mind the reason we are here is to train for the street not the ring or sport tournament.

Oneness can do a 720, not sure his guys would use that much. 🙂

oneness

Thanks for throwing me under the bus, CJ. I only threw that 720 to scare the **** out of Bas. He didnt think I still had them tricks in my toolbox.

Out on the street, its best not to throw high kicks or spinning kicks, too many variables and unknowns.

Here is one of my true favorite stories to explain why it’s not good to throw high/fancy kicks in self defense situations.

One of our fellow TKD instructors was in school, some other guys started pushing and bullying him out on the lawns while waiting for a bus. One of them wanted to fight and he was fine with it. A high level competitor, he figured he would throw a spinning hook kick and knock the guy out. He waited for the guy to push him; moved back and planted his feet inorder to throw his kick.

Little bit later he is waking up and pick grass out of his hair. He planted his foot on some dog ****, it caused him to slip, when he spun. Knocking himself out when he hit the ground.

Knowing and being able to throw a high or fancy kick is great, but you never know if dog **** will be around to keep you and your ego in check. It’s just best if you have too, to fight smart and go home safe.

tech94

i totally agree with all the statements too. i practice JKD as well and i have never thrown a kick higher than the abdomen, and rarely at that. i prefer thai round kick to the thigh or a teep. i also use inside leg kicks when sparring. oblique kick as they are called in jkd to the knees are also great. there are so many other options that using a fancy head kick is unnecessary. may look good but too high risk. if you ever watch MMA some guys can pull of high kicks with ease. these guys go into training camps for 6 weeks before their fights. Urijah Faber of the WEC is a very talented young fighter, he attempts high kicks often and has been known to slip and fall and/or be caught off balance and has cost him rounds. on the street with no ref. a slip and fall could mean the end

kirsten

Know the high kicks for training fun, flexiblity, and so your partner can practice counters. IMO, stick to lower kicks chest/abdomen high for self defense. I am a big fan of knee kicks, but I don’t use a side kick because I don’t like to turn my stance and give up my position, so I use an “inside side kick” instead. Probably one of my fav leg kicks. My friend broke a guys knee when he was defending against a knife attack.

phlegmon27

quote Oneness:

Thanks for throwing me under the bus, CJ. I only threw that 720 to scare the **** out of Bas. He didnt think I still had them tricks in my toolbox.

Out on the street, its best not to throw high kicks or spinning kicks, too many variables and unknowns.

Here is one of my true favorite stories to explain why it’s not good to throw high/fancy kicks in self defense situations.

One of our fellow TKD instructors was in school, some other guys started pushing and bullying him out on the lawns while waiting for a bus. One of them wanted to fight and he was fine with it. A high level competitor, he figured he would throw a spinning hook kick and knock the guy out. He waited for the guy to push him; moved back and planted his feet inorder to throw his kick.

Little bit later he is waking up and pick grass out of his hair. He planted his foot on some dog ****, it caused him to slip, when he spun. Knocking himself out when he hit the ground.

Knowing and being able to throw a high or fancy kick is great, but you never know if dog **** will be around to keep you and your ego in check. It’s just best if you have too, to fight smart and go home safe.

LOL. That’s the perfect example of when NOT to throw a head kick! Love it.

leejam99

we also do high/fancy kicks in higher levels to increase our athleticism.

jenn

Oneness – LMAO. thanks for the funny.

clfmak

One guy I train with can counter jabs by rocking back and doing a front leg roundhouse kick to the chin as they punch- it’s really frustrating when you can’t even land a jab. He practices on the heavy bag throwing lots and lots of high kicks. I think this kind of training is very good to develop kicking, because if you can kick up high with power and speed, kicking low should be no problem (but you still have to practice kicking low too).

hm2pac

Another thing to keep in mind is that in a self-defense situation:

1. You may not be wearing clothing conducive to high kicks. (Restrictive pants, Heels,…..etc.)

2. You may or may not be stretched out/warmed-up enough to get your leg up that high.

Just my 2 cents.

evo8

quote HM2PAC:

Another thing to keep in mind is that in a self-defense situation:

1. You may not be wearing clothing conducive to high kicks. (Restrictive pants, Heels,…..etc.)

That’s why they made these:

peterako

Haha. Chuck Norris guarantee. rofl2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: