Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics In terrible shape after cancer surgery…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    rbanzai

Before I had cancer surgery on my leg in summer ’03 I was in OK shape. I could ride my bike several miles, go up flights of stairs, do light weight training.

After surgery I have been unable to get back on any kind of fitness program. I can move reasonably well but my stamina is completely gone. I lost fifteen pounds and I started off skinny. I lost one of my front quads to the surgery and it’s been very hard getting that leg to do as much as I know it can.

I’ve tried restarting a program on my own several times but can’t stay motivated or focussed. I can feel myself kind of withering due to lack of use. It’s really demoralizing to feel so weak.

I just turned 40 last week and I can’t tolerate this. I refuse to just shrivel away but it seems all decent programs will just chew me up. My doc has cleared me to do whatever I want but I don’t seem capable of just jumping in and going. I’m down to 130 pounds (at 5’9\”) so at least fat is not a problem but I’m just a stick! A bony, wimpy stick. 😯

I’m doing some very basic yoga to try and get my flexibility back because it seems I pull muscles like crazy now.

How do I get back to being an active person again? I think I have the physical ability to get there… I just can’t seem to get over the initial hump of being in such crappy condition.

Thanks for any info. Just watching the little video on the website made me think \”I SHOULD BE DOING THAT… WHAT WILL IT TAKE?\” 😆

kravjeff

rbanzai –

First – Congrats on your successful surgery !!!

There are a lot of people on this forum much more qualified than myself to offer specific advice so I’ll avoid that. However, my $0.02:

First, be sure you’re in the right frame of mind. Being mentally tough, I would imagine, is half the battle. Secondly, I think choosing something that you like, and sticking with it are important. Pacing yourself, as opposed to jumping in and exhausting yourself and / or injuring yourself is equally important. Start slow and build your endurance – Be patient. Also perhaps most importantly, I would ask the doc who \”cleared you to do whatever you want\” to get you into some type of rehab program. You’ll learn to safely and effectively compensate for the loss of the quad, and most likely be surrounded with like minded people who have similar \”problems\” and who’ll encourage you and be able to offer you great advice. This can be mentally and emotionally encouraging while getting some good excersize.

FWIW – There are two people in at our training facility who have lost lower extremities and are now using prosthetics. I am always in awe of these two – Their mental fortitude is simply inspiring! Again, be sure you’re in the right frame of mind, and don’t expect to be able to jump right back in and have the same endurance that you once did.

Finally, you didn’t mention specifically if you’d practiced Krav before – It may be a great way for you to get back into shape while learniing great self defense. Classes, while dynamic and exhausting, will allow you to go at your own pace – I think you’d be amazed at how fast you regain some physical ability and perhaps most importantly some confidence in your physical abilitites.

Best of luck – Stay safe!

KJ

rbanzai

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’ve never been to a class before, only heard about it.

I did some rehab in 2004, as much as my insurance would cover. It was mostly to try and keep scar tissue from forming that might stick to the muscle sheath and keep it from sliding.

My insurance no longer covers any kind of rehab so I’m on my own.

My surgery was not drastic and my treatment was not so bad, far milder than what many have gone through. Mentally though it was like a kick in the nuts and I’ve been curled up on the floor since then. Now I’m ready to get back up.

maskedkat

You’re a real survivor. I can only imagine what coming back from cancer is like. I have a sister who is slowly recovering from 2 open heart surgeries and one lung surgery (congestive heart failure after a viral infection), and she is going through the excruciating and slow process of cardiac rehab. Once she got through the terrifying prospect of possibly losing her life, she is confronted with the loss of stamina, fitness, and the luxury of just doing whatever she feels like. She was always the most athletic member of our family (competitive swimmer/diver, hiking, etc) and it’s been tough for her.

Pardon me getting all shrinky on you, but do consider a cancer survivors’ support group as well as rehab. You will definitely find a very enthusiastic cheering section here on this forum, but some real-life support would be great.

Please keep us posted!

maskedkat

Wow, talk about irony. The nut-kicking avatar is in no way personally directed at you!! 😳

anonymous

Oh, that’s what that was! It was so fuzzy, I didn’t see it ’til just now. Reminds me of the new James Bond movie.

rbanzai,

If you do try a KM class, just go at your own pace. Tell your KM instructors about your limitations. Slowly build up stamina. The good thing about KM is that it is really for everybody, you don’t have to be a 200 pound muscleman to excel in it.

Good luck!

unstpabl1

Rbanzai,Take a good look again at Maskedkats Avatar,in fact lets all take a good look at that avatar.Now no guy can even think about getting kicked in the nuts without feeling the frickin pain….Now we’ve all been officially kicked in the nuts and its time to pick all our lazy asses off the floor,stop feeling sorry for ourselves and make our lives worthwhile.Why,you may ask?Because nobody else really gives a shit and what we think of ourselves is what truely matters.Its not selfish or cynical.You can’t give others what you can’t give to yourself.Thanks for posting.sounds like your coming outta your funk and what you don’t realise by getting out of that fetal position and participating in the world(This Board) your extending a hand and uplifting people you’ll never even know outta theirs.Pretty Cool,Huh 😆 Consider yourself HUGGED.Now that you’ve helped us(me)My advise better be good so here goes…….Working on improving your self physically will improve yourself mentally 1000x……So Krav Maga would be an excellent choice for you,everyone has limitations and the martial arts tend to expose them,so they can be improved.Krav has solid combatives,just in case 🙄 and understands that without fitness theres no self defense.Its perishable.Use it or lose it.People who train in SD are usually friendlier than in gyms.The idiots with attitudes usually don’t last long.I always thought that you could act like a tough guy in a gym,but in a dojo you might have to prove it 😈 The girls I’ve seen at Krav classes Are usually attractive and I’m told the guys are as well.But to be honest at the few krav classes i watched I only saw good instruction,pretty girls and Pad holders……I guess they could have been guys. 8) My point is this taking krav,you’ll meet people,make friends,start feeling better,looking better…hard to feel sorry for yourself when you find out how screwed up your new friends are 😯
    Also,billpearl.com has a free 20 month program on line starting at absolute square one in building yor body back up.I highly recommend it.Thanks again for posting.Hope this helps a little.
    mike

blindfold

Rbanzai,

First of all congratulations. My mom has had cancer three times and the Chemo has been intense. I have alot of respect for her \”not give up\” attitude about the whole thing. You making the decision to help yourself is the best choice for your recovery. My mom walks constantly and she is very content with that. Her drive to help her recovery process has been amazing. Her last bout is still going on and she just finished chemo about 2 months ago, so she is very much about walking right now. KM is a great exercise and I’m sure the instructor will help you to work at your own pace. Just stay motivated and you will benefit from anything.

rbanzai

Re: In terrible shape after cancer surgery…

Why am I bumping an ancient thread? Because I think I’m ready to finally take the next step. I still have problems with weak joints and wimpy overall fitness but I’m ready to get into a program to at least see if it’s possible. And if it’s not possible maybe I can learn what else I need to do to make it possible.

I want my fitness back, and I think I’m now in good enough shape to if necessary hang on by my damn fingernails until all my parts are up to the task. As people in this thread said the mental aspect was just as difficult as the physical, if not more so. I’m anxious at the thought of starting a class and finding out I can’t even do the most basic stuff. But there’s only one way to be sure: show up.

kirsten

rbanzai,

First off- congrats on your recovery!

My suggestion as a both the owner of a health club and a Krav Maga / MMA training center would be to invest in a personal trainer to meet with you as your budget allows. Even if its only once a week or once a month- you should use an expert to follow your progress and ensure (most importantly) that you do not get overly ambitious and hurt yourself.

If you are even a little competitive with yourself (as most of us here are) you could easily injure yourself and get down about it. So cut yourself some slack and remember- you are a warrior, just give yourself some time.

Be well.

jjbklb

Keep going with the yoga.

Swimming would be a great starter.But if you don’t have access to a pool:

I would start with walks.No jogging,no running..just walk.
    Take your time,keeping the pace slow and easy.Build your distance to 5 miles.
    Next..increase the pace to a fast walk.
    Allow one to two days off a week.

Then you can slowly change your walks to ,ex. walk 5 blocks and slowly jog a half to one block.Gradually increase the % of your 5 miles to more jog intervals.
    Do this on alternate days to allow recovery.

Incorporate LIGHT weights.

Then.consider Krav.

IMHO..in your circumstance,I think a Krav workout would be too intense just coming out of the exercise block.

You’ll have less potential to injure yourself if you start class with at least some conditioning base under your belt.

ds314

You did not state if you had radiation treatments also. Radiation saps your energy for a long time.

Dave

rbanzai

I had rads but it was a long time ago. I’ve been more active in the last four months that in probably the last two years combined. I got a recumbent exercise bike that I ride every other evening and I’ve been doing squats with dumbbell plates in a backpack. I feel a bit silly doing it but I’ve gone from no weight to 25 pounds in just a few weeks.

I don’t have much stamina but otherwise I feel ok. At the very least I intend to visit the local KM place just to see what’s going on and maybe talk to an instructor. I have some momentum now and I don’t want to let it go unused.

unstpabl1

Sorry to jump in on this post after not posting in a long time. Probably nice to have a little less pot stirring.

I’m about 4 weeks out of surgery for colon cancer. Have to do chemo to be on the safe side for the next 6 months or so. I guess the subject pulled me outta lurk mode. I’m doing finethumbsup

As I said earlier Krav will get you there physically. Its a pretty complete form of exercise plus the skill developement is practical. Classes are fun and your challenged physically, mentallty and emotionally.

The thing I’ve come to understand about this cancer diagnosis and I guess surgeries in general is people seem to want to focus on all the can’t do bs. Focus on what you can do today. If you want to take krav or anyother fitness program…do it. But…..focus on what you can do that class. Sure your going to struggle… Sure it might not be easy, but your looking to improve yourself. I’m willing to bet you can do way more than you ever thought you could, but you gotta show up. Showing up, being willing to look bad is the hardest part. Its easy to subcomb to laziness. Trust me I now know the feeling

I’m telling you truthfully, igf there was anyway I could afford to train…I’d be there…why…because its not the easy path…its the path with heart. The path that will challenge us to face our fears and become more than we can imagine…..Because we’re willing to challenge our preconcieved notions of what we’re capable of or others think we are as well.

Be well

mike

mara-jade

Hi Mike,

Glad to read you’re doing well. Don’t be such a stranger:wav:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: