Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    dckm

what do you do to improve your cardio?

don

Re: increasing cardio

Do more, longer… Intervals…

hemibuck

Bas tapes & or some Crossfit type training.

Make sure whatever you go with has some burst cardio training in it. A marathon runner trains his cardio much differently then a fighter. Don’t get me wrong you want to be able to run, bike, swim long distances, but in a fight you need to go 500 mph for about 3 minutes or less. Try turning the treadmill up to 10 for 1 minute, then walk for a minute and repeat as long as you can go. When thats not enough of a challange go for 2 minutes and walk for a minute.

NOTE: if a treadmill is not an option just sprint instead of jog, same results.
    Good luck.

dckm

quote TigerUpperCut:

Make sure whatever you go with has some burst cardio training in it. A marathon runner trains his cardio much differently then a fighter. Don’t get me wrong you want to be able to run, bike, swim long distances, but in a fight you need to go 500 mph for about 3 minutes or less. Try turning the treadmill up to 10 for 1 minute, then walk for a minute and repeat as long as you can go. When thats not enough of a challange go for 2 minutes and walk for a minute.

NOTE: if a treadmill is not an option just sprint instead of jog, same results.
    Good luck.

so basically if i’m running laps around a track, sprint the straightaways and jog/walk the curves??? NICE!

don’t laugh but i’ve got no idea how to use the treadmill. i see them in the fitness room at work and pay them no mind and head straight to the bikes.

dckm

quote Don:

i’ve noticed that that’s helping too, it’s just that sometimes i can’t “feel” the improvement. one thing i’m noticing is that when i first started krav maga in november, i could barely make it thru a class. nowadays i can do 2 classes and the bag class on saturday. i’m still sore 30 minutes into bag but i push thru it.

hemibuck

quote dckm:

so basically if i’m running laps around a track, sprint the straightaways and jog/walk the curves??? NICE!

don’t laugh but i’ve got no idea how to use the treadmill. i see them in the fitness room at work and pay them no mind and head straight to the bikes.

So here is a workout we did yesterday that you could do at your fitness room if you have someplace to run. You get cardio, explosiveness, strength, ect. Give it a shot. We do most workouts for time so you push yourself. Something like this 2-3 times a week will bring your cardio up.

400m run
    21 Deadlift w/Body Weight
    50 jumping jacks
    400m run
    15 DL w/BW
    50 pushups
    800m run
    9 DL w/BW
    50 Kettlebell swings but you could use a dumbell.

skelegirl

quote Don:

I just discovered the Tread Climber from Nautilus. It is a serious cardio workout. This machine takes almost no time to reach my target HR

dckm

quote Hemibuck:

So here is a workout we did yesterday that you could do at your fitness room if you have someplace to run. You get cardio, explosiveness, strength, ect. Give it a shot. We do most workouts for time so you push yourself. Something like this 2-3 times a week will bring your cardio up.

400m run
    21 Deadlift w/Body Weight
    50 jumping jacks
    400m run
    15 DL w/BW
    50 pushups
    800m run
    9 DL w/BW
    50 Kettlebell swings but you could use a dumbell.

oh yeah, this is definitely something i can do. and it looks pretty brutal. and that’s just what i need. i gotta be ready for the next level test coming up in may

magamike

Long distance trail running (1 to 1.5 hours), mountain biking, and Bas Rutten workouts for me. Agree totally on incorporating some intensity intervals into anything you do. On trails, I always charge the hilly parts, then recover on the downhill or flats. Whenever I do a short loop on the road or a park trail (45 minute type stuff), I always incorporate interval training. One of my favorites is to stop, turn and sprint back 50 yards or so, then resume running at a normal pace to recover. I’ll also do parts of the run with high plyometric type bounds, stop and do jumping squats, you name it. I just do whatever I feel like it to keep it fresh.

night-robin

What exactly does a Bas Rutten workout consist of? I’m one of those guys that would be able to get the equipment(do to the generosity of my parents;):), but I have nowhere to put it. So I’m limited in what equipment I can acquire.

don

Definitely agree on keeping it fresh! Mix up your routines too – if you do the same workout all the time, your body can get “used to it”. Also agree that “regular” cardio or conditioning is much different than “fight conditioning”. At some point, you gotta participate in the activity you’re training for (e.g. can’t just run to get ready for swimming, etc). Google “fartlek” too… http://www.crossfit.com etal has killer workouts

magamike

quote Night Robin:

What exactly does a Bas Rutten workout consist of? I’m one of those guys that would be able to get the equipment(do to the generosity of my parents;):), but I have nowhere to put it. So I’m limited in what equipment I can acquire.

Try searching for “Bas Rutten” on the forum, or take a look at that fairly recent thread about “my first experience with the Bas CDs” for more info about this.

Everybody has a different approach depending on their fitness level and interests.

He’s coming out with a new set of CDs I hear, but the one I have consists of four CDs and an instructional DVD. There is a Boxing CD, Thai-Boxing CD, an All-around fighting CD, and an all-around-workout CD. The fighting CDs contain either two or three minute rounds (your choice). When a round begins, Bas will call off various striking combinations for your to throw (you kick on the Thai CD too, and sprawl and defend on the all-around-fighting in addition to the striking). If you have a heavy bag or a Century Bob you can hit that when you do the combos. If you don’t you just shadow box at full power. You just keep going round after round as long as you want. The combos are described on the DVD.

The all-around workout CD contains two 29 minute workout routines. The first has shadow boxing combined with unrelenting calesthenics (jumping squats, push-ups, etc.). The second one has you kicking full out for one minute rounds, then dropping down an grappling if you have a partner, or if not, you do calesthenics.

I usually do one of the 29 minute workouts as a “warm up” (much more than a warm-up, of course), then I do some kind of fighting rounds. I mix up boxing, and thai, and all-around, 2 and 3 minute rounds. Just depends on what I feel like doing, but I always try to make it at least a full hour (workout + fighting).

But if you get the CDs, you’ll make up your own routines.

Equipment is minimal – if you just shadow box, nothing. If you want to strike something, then get some kind of heavy bag and some bag gloves or just use your 16oz boxing gloves.

night-robin

Definitely got to check that out then. Thanks for the help. I have a garage that’s big enough to shadowbox in.

bradm

Although it’s nice to have, you don’t have to have any equipment to get a good workout with the Bas CD’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: