Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Injured wrist. How long to lay off?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    tank-sinatra

I’m miserable folks. Tweaked my right wrist on the thumb side and have been on the shelf for 2 weeks. I’ve had x-rays and nothing’s broken. I’ve been wearing a splint for two weeks and will go three per doctor’s orders. Anyone here hurt their wrist? Any of you back to 100 percent? It’s one of those annoying injuries where I feel like I’m healed one day and then the next day it feels like shit. I’m probably overreacting but I’m starting to worry I won’t be able to go back to unloading the right like I used to. It’s my best strike! I need a pep talk big time. 😥

kpalena

My rule of thumb is nothing that could cause pain for two weeks after the injury stops hurting. Unless a Dr. says otherwise.

Don’t worry yourself. You are going to be strong again as long as you admit to yourself that you’re hurt. Take it easy. Just think of this as time to develop your other strikes. If you cannot take it, try using both wraps on that hand…yes it is wierd and heavy, but it will stablize the injury.

I hurt my wrist while learning palm heal strikes….I did it wrong. My whole lower arm went numb. I took it easy and three weeks later I was a good as new.

kravjeff

Most importantly – Let it heal completely.

I’ve been battling hand injuries for the entire time I’ve been training. Long story short, I had surgery on my hand for two severed tendons about four months before I started Krav. I then injured a finger on the same hand while recovering from surgery. I do a lot of work around my house (landscaping/minor carpentry etc …) am very active in sports with my kids, etc … and have repeatedly either aggravated old injuries, or sustained new ones (though relatively minor as compared to the initial) to my hands.

I say all this because I’m not smart enough to back off for more than a week, though they do seem to improve during time off. I’m actually convinced that the hand I had surgery on will never be 100% and am learning to live with it, but banging away several times a week certainly isn’t helping. In fact, My hands hurt pretty much constantly, and are occasionally stiff and swollen (I’m too damn young for arthritis!).

Take your time, take advantage of this opportunity to work on your left and find an alternative with your right (e.g., elbow strikes) when doing combatives or working on pads. You’ll undoubtedly recover, just have patience grasshopper. 😉

tank-sinatra

Re:

quote \”kpalena\:

My rule of thumb is nothing that could cause pain for two weeks after the injury stops hurting.

I like that rule of thumb. Very conservative. It just so happens that I have vacation scheduled after week three of rest, so I am gonna follow through on your plan. I have started shadow boxing I am already feeling more hopeful. Thanks guys.

kravmdjeff

Rule of thumb? Wouldn’t it be more of a \”rule of wrist\”?

tank-sinatra

Re:

quote \”KravMDjeff\:

Rule of thumb? Wouldn’t it be more of a \”rule of wrist\”?

You got that right!

anonymous

I’ve had some weird wrist injuries. One time from doing cavaliers for an hour without a break. Another time, my wrist just started hurting and I had no idea why, but the pain lasted several weeks.

I’d put on ice and try to find out exactly where inside the wrist the pain is located. Massage that area a lot (may be painful, but worth the effort). After massaging for a while, put on more ice. Do this several times a day, if possible. That should speed up the healing process.

kid

In my class there was a person with a broken hand who still went, we just worked on his other hand. It looked funny but he said he was too bored sitting around at home and he had to do something hahahah.

jl

Complete the healing process. But as that is happening work on the southpaw side. Do all your work from the left side. It will give balance to your fighting ability and when the right wrist is healed you will be able to fight from either side. 😉

evo8

I got knocked down backwards and didn’t break fall like i was supposed to. ended up sticking my palm on the ground. It didn’t hurt at first, but when i got home it was real bad. had a hard time falling to sleep that night. i went to the doctor twice. all he did was give me pain killers. My wrist wasn’t swollen but i could barely grip or push anything. This happened back in March. I can still feel a little discomfort while bench pressing. it also pops when i stretch my wrists. It’s not unbearable though.

clfmak

I remember when I started martial arts I would get wrist injuries from time to time from the heavy bag, wall bags etc, but generally they’re nothing major and will go away soon enough. And in time, you stop getting them (well, maybe once in a blue moon). I think its a result of improved technique along with stronger wrists. Until then- try and look on the bright side- injuries can teach you a lot about how your body moves.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: