Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics INJURIES FROM SPRAWL DEFENSE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

HI! IM MIKO FROM CHICAGO. i am currently in level 3 but i am rusty as hell.. i just came back from an injury after 6 months of withdrawal. basically, the class was packed and the guy went in for a take down during one fighting class. he grabbed at my left leg and as i sprawled, me and his body weight fell on my leg that basically closed in on my foot which was flat on the ground. i heard two loud cracks. i found out i broke three bones in my left.
    it still gets a little sore. but i am traumatized to do the sprawl now.

i came back just last week and the first fighting class i went to, this girl broke her mcl after the guy tried to take her down…

has anyone else had injuries from the sprawl defense or injuries in general. i can’t believe i broke three bones, i never thought i would get injured in this class.. maybe beat up but not injured. =(

kravron

no offense meant but, sounds like you didnt pull your legs out far enough when you sprawled.

(coming from a wrestling background) I have never known these kind of injuries to happen when people sprawled during matches/practices.

A good sprawl should be shooting your legs back and falling with your upper body on top of your opponent. It SHOULD keep your legs/feet out from under the pile.

I didnt see it so I couldnt judge correctly, but it does sound like improper technique.

Again no offense meant, just objective opinion.

g-v

Re: INJURIES FROM SPRAWL DEFENSE

I’ve been hurt a bunch: tendonitis, a muscle rip in my shoulder, and now a hokey elbow after doing sweeps and blading defenses against kicks last night. I’m a mess. 😆

Where do you go, Miko? I’m at the Buffalo Grove place.

Re:

quote \”KravRon\:

no offense meant but, sounds like you didnt pull your legs out far enough when you sprawled.

(coming from a wrestling background) I have never known these kind of injuries to happen when people sprawled during matches/practices.

A good sprawl should be shooting your legs back and falling with your upper body on top of your opponent. It SHOULD keep your legs/feet out from under the pile.

I didnt see it so I couldnt judge correctly, but it does sound like improper technique.

Again no offense meant, just objective opinion.

no offense taken. it probably is poor technique. but isnt it possible that timing could be an issue too?? meaning, i could sprawl correctly but i reacted too late and he got a hold of my leg before i could sprawl and shoot out my legs…

so, i dont know..

emil

Miko, don’t fret, injuries happen. I don’t know many people who’ve done this for more than a couple of years without some injuries. Both of my knees are busted, as well as a few concussions. It is a high impact contact activity. I mean, whatever contact activity you choose to do, would have some characteristic injuries, from soccer to rugby. Just heal up, try to do some workouts as your body allows. Just think, a lot of the pro athletes, who do it for a living have to take months of to recover. Most of us are certainly no pro athletes :). Although some have adamantium skeletons … 😉

quote \”G.V.\:

I’ve been hurt a bunch: tendonitis, a muscle rip in my shoulder, and now a hokey elbow after doing sweeps and blading defenses against kicks last night. I’m a mess. 😆

Where do you go, Miko? I’m at the Buffalo Grove place.

hey there!

i am at the lincolnwood place. with Master George. our instructor is the best… 😛

mayhem

Miko,

Welcome back! I have been training in California recently and will do so thru June (assuming my school opens back up after being closed for water damage recently). I should be back for you to beat on in Chicago starting in July. Hopefully you can get completely healthy and knock off the rust as soon as possible.

Re:

quote \”mayhem\:

Miko,

Welcome back! I have been training in California recently and will do so thru June (assuming my school opens back up after being closed for water damage recently). I should be back for you to beat on in Chicago starting in July. Hopefully you can get completely healthy and knock off the rust as soon as possible.

is this jason?!?! the guy who broke my foot?!?! hahaha. why are you in california?!?!?!

mayhem

The one and only. I am out here for work thru June.

kravron

Miko,

Your right timing your sprawl is very important. However if you are sprawling late than instead of sprawling you should be doing your breakfall and going into the guard (hopefully).

Its all about situation. (IMO and from wrestling experience) Sprawls are usually used as a preventative measure. Now there are times when you can break a leg capture with a sprawl, but a it should more often then not be used to keep your legs from being grabbed while at the same time placing you in a dominate position at the beginning of ground work (if it does go to the ground that is).

What may help is this

a) Make sure if your clenching, knee-striking, anything in the \”he is close enough to grab your leg\” range that you have a fore-arm or something between you to prevent the \”tackle\”

b) When you sprawl make sure you are throwing your feed back behind you and using your opponents push forward to keep you standing…if he is already in the process of grabbing your legs this will cause him to fall down with you on top in a dominant position, and the ability to escape/use your toes to get into an even better position.

c) When we work sprawl practice at my school we usually do a drill were you and your partner are given a limited amount of space (say a few square feet on the floor) and you take turns just trying to touch each others knees while the other tries to prevent it. This accomplishes two things, it works on your timing AND it confines you to a small area where you must move your feet instead of your whole body.

I hope you get better soon and are able to get back in there.

I just recent ate a cross right to the nose at our \”fight night\” with our brother school. So I learned that blocking with your nose is not a very effective technique. Gotta love battle scars hehe.

taikei

I wounder where your hands were when you sprawled both of your legs.
    If you had your hands on his back or shoulder, yes that will be a possible dissaster. If the guy drives you through, he will grab your legs.

Proper MMA or to some extent BJJ teaches you to place your hands on floor and then sprawl, or place both hands under his chest (his head between your arms) and then kick out your legs.

This way your arm planted solid against him will block his aggression away from sprawling legs.

Sprawl should be done with a solid base, in this case arms blocking him away.
    Usual mistake is pushing him down with your hands or body. The only things connect you to the ground (base) are knees and toes. Other guy on bottom have every single tentacles to build up the base.

Otherwise it’s no big deal, don’t sprawl and roll back, attempt to set up a guard position or invite him forward and do some triangle choke with your legs. In another words, sprawl isn’t the only thing in the world. Good perception, move sideways and land on his back etc…

g-v

quote \”mikothefreakshow\:

i am at the lincolnwood place. with Master George. our instructor is the best… 😛

My instructor could beat up your instructor. 😆 j/k

daki

quote \”G.V.\:

quote \”mikothefreakshow\:

My instructor could beat up your instructor. 😆 j/k

Come now, GV, we all know that instructors don’t beat up other instructors… they beat /us/ up.

g-v

I make joke, yes?

Daki, are you in L2 now, dude?

daki

Do I still have to answer this since I was in the Level 2 class last night? 😀

Somehow I bruised my hip last night and I have no idea how.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: