Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Inside Defense (Newbie Alert)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sunstar

How far should you redirect a straight punch? I’ve seen two different variations of the inside defense, particularly against a combo. One teaches to “build a ramp” and redirect very slightly, the other seems to be more of a “trap” where the redirection is much greater, pushing the arm down. This seems to facilitate the counter.

Thanks

nosceteipsum

Re: Inside Defense (Newbie Alert)

Only as far enough as is necessary to take the punch off line and allow you to counter effectively. Usually this is right about in front of your face. Not enough and you’ll eat the punch, too much and you’ll open yourself up. The ramp analogy is good. Make your wall or ramp and put it in front of your face as you recognize the attack. Remember to defend with the whole forearm and hand, not just the hand.

You want to avoid pushing the arm down and out of the way. It is absolutely not necessary. Make a nice strong inside defense and your counter will be there. When people start practicing trapping and pushing the arm down, they tend to drop it too much leaving themselves wide open. When I teach the counter, for example in a left right combination or against the right straight, it’s defend and counter. Not defend and hook and counter. Use that defense to set up your counter, not clear the hand.

Hope this helps.

sunstar

Re: Inside Defense (Newbie Alert)

quote nosceteipsum:

Only as far enough as is necessary to take the punch off line and allow you to counter effectively. Usually this is right about in front of your face. Not enough and you’ll eat the punch, too much and you’ll open yourself up. The ramp analogy is good. Make your wall or ramp and put it in front of your face as you recognize the attack. Remember to defend with the whole forearm and hand, not just the hand.

You want to avoid pushing the arm down and out of the way. It is absolutely not necessary. Make a nice strong inside defense and your counter will be there. When people start practicing trapping and pushing the arm down, they tend to drop it too much leaving themselves wide open. When I teach the counter, for example in a left right combination or against the right straight, it’s defend and counter. Not defend and hook and counter. Use that defense to set up your counter, not clear the hand.

Hope this helps.

I understand. Thanks for the help.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: