Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mauger68

I guess this question is best answered by KM instructors. I am interested in becoming certified as an instructor. I still have a way to go before I would feel comfortable about even attemping to get certified but I would at least like to know how the process works so I will have a goal to work towards. Do you need to be sponsered by a school, what is the miminum level/belt you need to be before you can apply. I have a background in the military, studied TKD approx. 5 yrs, and am currently level 2/yellow belt (practicing Krav just over 1 year) How long is the actual instructor training process, and where is it held. Would I have to go to NTC in LA? My goal is to be ready to test for my certification in 2.5 to 3 years (is that realistic?) Any info would be much appreciatated.

emil

Re: Instructor training

Mauger68, may I ask why do you want to become an instructor? You do have to be sponsored by a school, which is where you will likely end up working.So the very first thing that has to happen is that your school needs to have a vacancy, just like for any other job. I think 2.5 years is very reasonable, especially if you’re dedicated to training . The process starts with three week long phases, after which you’re allowed to teach up to one level below yours. After phase you go home and teach, work on your technique and especially teaching ability. After you complete those three, you can elect to continue with five expert phases, leading up to your black belt test which is by invite only. The phases are conducted at NTC and regional training centers by the most qualified instructors with many years of experience. It’s intense to say the least, and the goal is to instill in you all the qualities you need to pass on KM to students. KM experience is an asset, as is physical preparation, an open mind and an ability to pass on the information to students. The last part is the toughest one, in my opinion, as most of the students you will encounter have little or no background in physical exercise or self defense training. That seemed to be the one that most people in instructor training had the toughest time with. Many of us can prepare our conditioning and technique, but for some , the ability to present the information in a clear manner remained elusive. I think this is what sets KM instructor training from other systems-you’re taught how to teach.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Hi Maug

Welcome to the forums. I think the best place for you to start would be to ask your instructor what his feelings are about it. He should be able to share with you his experience and make suggestions to you when you might be ready to attend Phase A as a representative of his school.

You might also want to do a search here in the forums on the word “phase”. Theres a ton of testimonials on the process and plenty of people have shared their personal stories.

As Jon Pascal once told me it’s a huge responsibility to be a KM instructor and one that should not be entered into lightly.

jay99

[COLOR=#000000]

quote :

As Jon Pascal once told me itís a huge responsibility to be a KM instructor and one that should not be entered into lightly. [/COLOR]

AMEN TO THAT!!!

As you search for the word “phase” I think you will find one very common sentiment. If nothing else, Phase is an incredibly rewarding experience. If you have the will and desire than go for it!! Best of luck with the endeavor!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: