Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Instructors: How late do you let students enter class?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Just curious, today the front desk let some new person enter the class after we had been working out for over 10 minutes. Do any of you let students enter at any time of the class? It just seems like once you’ve warmed up no one else should be allowed to come in…especially a new student who is clueless to what is going on.

I am not an instructor, but IMO I would not want to turn away any student. I would approach the student after class and let him/her know that is it not a good pratice to show up late….

njl

Our center has a 10 minute rule… You need to warm up and stretch so you don’t get hurt….

vicious

you know… i don’t live near where i train… i have to sometimes drive (with traffic) 35+ mins… gas isn’t cheap… i’ve had more than car accident/random construction/ bad luck delay me from class. its NEVER intended… but if leave RIGHT from work, and get stuck behind an accident, and had to drive a hour to a class, only to be turned away… i think i’d want my money back…

obviously i’d warm up and stretch as soon as i got there… hell i’d do the class on a bag, or even in the air… but to have to go home?

its also a given that i understand that its not good to be late, don’t ever want to be, and would turn back if i thought i was going to miss half of class… but if im 15 minutes late… i would like the other 45 minutes ESPECIALLY if i’ve been sitting in a car for an hour (i imagine i’d have some stress i’d want to relieve.)

bradm

I think a student should make every effort possible to get to class on time. I always try to get ther at least 15 minutes early to strech out and do some light warm ups, even though the first 15 minutes are usually devoted to warm ups in most schools (I think). But, there have been times when I have been late also.

With that said, there are always exceptions. No doubt there will occasionally be a student come in late – hopefully not too late. And I think the instructor should let him/her take the class as long as it does not interrupt or delay the rest of the students. I don’t think the instructor should have to go back and repeat or demonstrate something again just for the benefit of the late student unless it would benefit the other students. The late student could pick up the missed criteria during another class of after class if the instructor has the time.

There are so many varibles that may attribute to a student being late that it is difficult to provide a good answer. For me at least.

vicious

EXACTLY… there ARE a ton of reasons… and when a student shows up late they usually don’t have the time/ don’t want to, explain why they were late in front of the class… I imagine if you let the student train, then said something afterwards you wouldn’t get \”i decided to be late for no reason\”… more like \”i really really reall tried… EVERYTHING was in my way, i left a lot of time, didn’t expect it, won’t happen again…\”

i mean, we’re adults… if it happens often, OF COURSE the student needs to be better aware… but once? just my opinion of course… its just… this is one of the reasons i got OUT of TMAs…

no the instructor shouldn’t have to redemo anything… i would think the student would warm up/stretch, then jump in on the NEXT drill…

anonymous

At the NTC, a lot of classes overlap, so the first class may run long and a bunch of students will be late for the next class. But they jump in and it’s usually not a big deal.

kravmdjeff

As an instructor, I would always allow a student into class. I’ve never had anyone injure themselves for lack of warming up, because pretty much all of them have the good sense to warm up before joining whatever the class is doing. If they don’t, I tell them to.

I always prefer that someone train as opposed to not train.

srob

late for class

We are all adults and are responsible for ourselves. If someone is running late than they are late, whatís the big deal? Stretch and join the class. This is not some traditional martial art where you have to bow before entering and leaving the room and cannot ask an instructor unless spoken.
    Our school is very informal and thatís the way I like it. In fact if it was any different, I would not be there.

kravjeff

Agree 99.9% with the previous two posts. The caveat MIGHT be someone who is habitually late, and comes in during drills (I’ve never seen this at our school) … This could be disruptive but if it’s every once in a while, who cares ??? I’m always glad to see fellow students, and am disappointed when they don’t make it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: