Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    antiy4ho0

I can’t remember where I first heard about Krav Maga, might of been some special documentary or maybe a forum post somewhere but I heard about it a few years ago and was always semi-interested in it. When I was in Middle and highschool I was on the wrestling team and loved it, but since then I’ve had absolutely 0 Physical activity. It’s been hard to motivate myself to stay active when I had nothing to be active for, and thats why I’m interested in getting into Krav.

With that said, I’m not joking when I say I’ve had 0 physical activity. I just turned 20 about a week 1/2 ago, I’m 5’7″ and 215-230 lbs, I cannot even jog a 1/4 mile without being completely gassed, I’m struggling with calisthenics I used to perform with ease and I haven’t even hit the weights yet. Its definitely embarrassing and I definitely want to get back into the same kind of shape I was in before.

My plans are to focus on my cardio for the time being and not concentrate too much on lifting. To be honest I don’t even plan on lifting until I’ve dropped some lbs. With that said… I’m no fitness guru so if lifting + running sounds more productive than running + calisthenics I could do that as well.

I’ve found a school and it appears that they are affiliated but I have not done a whole lot of research, just a few quick searches. I’m looking at this school, specifically either the Castro Valley or Fremont locations. However their Walnut Creek location was the only one that was on the official training center locator.

Is there anything specifically I should look for in these places? I’ve never enrolled in a MA before but I’ve heard horror stories of getting “Mcdojo’d” and receiving improper and downright wrong training. I would assume since one of their locations is on the locator the other ones should be okay? But then again you know what they say about assumptions so I just want to cover all my bases when I get to that bridge.

On a final note, while I’m definitely interested in Krav and really excited to start, my fitness level isn’t the only thing thats holding me back. I also have to wait at least a month until I can afford enrolling into a program.

Re: Interested in Krav

Don’t let fitness hold you back. Start as soon as possible and the fitness will come with classes. In preperation for classes before you can start I would skip weights or do light weight workouts (low weight high reps) and lots of cardio.

You will still probably gas your first few nights but Krav is not about being physically strong. There is no bench press test before you start class, however you’ll be happy you started working your cardiovascular system as soon as you can.

Enjoy.

Oh and as far as places to go and what to look for most reputable places will offer free classes and something other than a 1 year up front membership. Try out classes in both/all locations and see where you get a better feel.

It is not manditory to be KMWW licensed to be a good gym but KMWW does a very good job of monitoring licensed gyms to make sure they are providing authentic KM training.

tzrider

quote antiy4ho0:

I’ve found a school and it appears that they are affiliated but I have not done a whole lot of research, just a few quick searches. I’m looking at this school, specifically either the Castro Valley or Fremont locations. However their Walnut Creek location was the only one that was on the official training center locator.

I’ve been training at the Pleasanton location for this school and like it very much. Their most seasoned instructors are in Walnut Creek, but the guy we have in Pleasanton is very good. You can train at any location once enrolled and different locations have different schedules so if you want to train many evenings each week, it’s possible.

antiy4ho0

I appreciate the quick responses! I’m sure thats very sound advice TigerUppercut, I imagine no matter how well prepared I think I am for my first class I’ll still feel like I’m dying by the end(In the best way possible). I do plan on enrolling as soon as the $ fits regardless of if I feel like I’ve met my fitness goals or not.

tzrider: Just out of curiosity have you ventured over to either the Castro Valley or Fremont locations? I imagine not since Dublin and Walnut Creek are probably closer but was just curious. At the Pleasanton location how are the classes split up? Is it like beginners on one night, more advanced on another? I’ve read that some places have certain days dedicated to grappling or certain days dedicated to striking, is that how they do it in Pleasanton? I just ask out of curiosity because Dublin/Pleasanton isn’t completely undo-able from San Leandro, just that Castro Valley/Fremont are more convenient for sure.

unstpabl1

If injury or finances aren’t a problem the recommendation has been to let the event condition you. It ends up being sport specific training

The bigger plus is the motivation from instructors and students. And the real plus is that you will stick to something that you enjoy doing where it’s easy to piss backwards just doing stuff by yourself at home

tzrider

quote antiy4ho0:

tzrider: Just out of curiosity have you ventured over to either the Castro Valley or Fremont locations? I imagine not since Dublin and Walnut Creek are probably closer but was just curious. At the Pleasanton location how are the classes split up? Is it like beginners on one night, more advanced on another? I’ve read that some places have certain days dedicated to grappling or certain days dedicated to striking, is that how they do it in Pleasanton? I just ask out of curiosity because Dublin/Pleasanton isn’t completely undo-able from San Leandro, just that Castro Valley/Fremont are more convenient for sure.

So far, I’ve stuck to training in Pleasanton, but tested in San Ramon. At the moment, the majority of students in Pleasanton are basic, with a couple of advanced students who have been regulars for some time. Most of these students also train at other locations that have a higher percentage of advanced students. Nevertheless, they still attend in Pleasanton to get more days per week in and to keep in practice on basics.

A given night may be devoted to one set of skills or another, but there is no set routine that I’ve detected. I think they do a pretty good job of giving equal coverage to various skills, with some compensation for the fact that some techniques seem to take most people more time to become proficient at than others.

fitman1110

My friend Matt teaches at Fremont Maa, I personally was not in shape when I started and I cannot attend as much as I want. Matt made me fee really comfortable and I was able to do a one month starter for $79 then afterwards I was able to go on a month by month basis with a 30 no clause cancellation policy. So far so good.

Maybee I will see you down there,

Bill

xoek

i first came across krav completely by chance becasue i was interested in doing martial arts, so during my research i came across. i did mad reasearch on it, read everything i could find on it, lead me to this website. since then i’ve had a bad craving for krav training.

there’s no shame in being unfit, or gassing at first. trust me at least you’ll be doing something good for yourself, and getting in shape. here’s the secret, it’s fun, and everytime, you do a little better. you will get there it just takes time and as long as you don’t just outright quit, you know before your body does, you never fail.

do it, you’ll hurt at first but stick it out it’s worth it, and you’ll feel better about yourself in a week. i guarantee you you’ll feel way better, move better, have more energy, and just plain feel better by this time next month.

did i mention you’ll feel better? awesome!

theduke

As someone who works with conditioning athletes and who’s new to KM, I’d definitely reccomend supplementing your training with a consistant exercise program.

A good exercise program should be structured to not only get to your goals, but also be corrective in nature.

If you have the buget, I’d recommend finding a “GOOD” personal trainer. One who really knows what they’re doing will definitely aid you in getting through KM training and prevent possible injuries. Even once a week or every other week would be beneficial.

Too many people simply jump into things (intense exercise etc) without realizing or taking into account limitations that need to be addressed.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: