Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Intro class/beginning equipment

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Though I was told on here yesterday that it was not KMW certified, I managed to find the only place that is in my area and accessible to me that is offering KM classes. http://www.destolfos.com/index.cfm?page=21

First off, is anybody familiar with this school or any of its instructors? If so, opinions?

More importantly, I will hopefully be getting in there asap to get started on classes. What sort of equipment am I going to need and how quickly is it usually necessary to have it? Since I’m not even sure it is something I’ll be doing long term yet, I assume you won’t need to be completely stocked up on everything as soon as you walk in the front door for the first class. But what do you suggest I DO have when I go in for my first?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Re: Intro class/beginning equipment

David Kahn is an extremely knowledgeable practitioner of Krav Maga. The school you’re attending is affiliated with him so even though its not a KMWW school you know that your still getting quality instruction under the IKMA.

For your first class a few of the essentials IMHO would be mouth piece and groin protection. You might also invest in things like hand wraps or small MMA style gloves for knuckle and wrist protection.

Good luck with your training and thanks for checking in with us here in the forums.

quote CJs Dad:

David Kahn is an extremely knowledgeable practitioner of Krav Maga. The school youíre attending is affiliated with him so even though its not a KMWW school you know that your still getting quality instruction under the IKMA.

For your first class a few of the essentials IMHO would be mouth piece and groin protection. You might also invest in things like hand wraps or small MMA style gloves for knuckle and wrist protection.

Good luck with your training and thanks for checking in with us here in the forums.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply. I know I can find everything else easily, but I’m not too sure about the gloves or wraps. Would it be possible for somebody to show me something online that they’d recommend for a first-timer. Just so I know what to look for in stores and a rough estimate of what I should be paying for them.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

REV Gear

These days you can find wraps and gloves at almost any sporting goods store. E.G. Big 5, Dicks, Sports Authority, etc.

I got mine at a local Big 5. I paid about $5 more than my friends who bought from online sources but if you don’t have time to wait for shipping you can get them pretty quickly that way.

russell

don’t forget a LARGE bottle of water!

Thanks for the suggestions you guys have had so far. Anything I can find out between now and my start date is going to help a whole lot. I have one more question for right now, so I’ll just keep it in here rather than starting a new thread every time.

As I had mentioned earlier, my first class is going to be next Tuesday at DeStolfo’s. I had asked if that day was the beginning of a new session or class schedule and was told it doesn’t work that way; rather, if somebody new wants to come in, they just just show up whenever they want to start.

How that is going to work confuses me a bit. If they have other people who have all been there for various lengths of time, how would I be expected to just jump right in? It would be silly to think they’re going to go and retrace all of the beginning steps to get me caught up to be able to keep up with the rest of the class. But, on the other hand, if I have absolutely no knowledge of even the most basic elements (stances, movements, etc), I don’t see how I can really get right into it.

Is this a common practice at other schools or something I should be worried about?

quote michaelfrancis:

Thanks for the suggestions you guys have had so far. Anything I can find out between now and my start date is going to help a whole lot. I have one more question for right now, so I’ll just keep it in here rather than starting a new thread every time.

As I had mentioned earlier, my first class is going to be next Tuesday at DeStolfo’s. I had asked if that day was the beginning of a new session or class schedule and was told it doesn’t work that way; rather, if somebody new wants to come in, they just just show up whenever they want to start.

How that is going to work confuses me a bit. If they have other people who have all been there for various lengths of time, how would I be expected to just jump right in? It would be silly to think they’re going to go and retrace all of the beginning steps to get me caught up to be able to keep up with the rest of the class. But, on the other hand, if I have absolutely no knowledge of even the most basic elements (stances, movements, etc), I don’t see how I can really get right into it.

Is this a common practice at other schools or something I should be worried about?

It’s common throughout the system. Krav has a rotating curriculum, so you can jump in anytime throughout level 1 and get started. New students generally only need a class or two with some extra 1 on 1 instruction on things like stance and movement, then they’re ready to go.

kvmorl

Same in our school, you just start right in.

bracius

Ditto that, starting right in that is. I’m with Ryan Hardy’s school (KMWW?) and they have rotating level one mixed with a smudge of level two stuff, and a dash of level three stuff. Mixed with love and an intense desire to kick my butt.

Right now I go three times a week. We have a 60 year old in the class and he whoops me every time. He can out last me, out punch me, out kick me, and throw me. We’ll be doing push ups and he’ll be talking about his grandkids and how much of a fat wuss I am, I on the other hand am trying to not puke on myself. I love to hate that old man …. j/k, sort of 😛

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: