Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is KM ok for me if I’ve had lasik

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cavaliere

Hi guys,
    I want to take up KM but there’s one question for me. I’ve had lasik (corrective laser eye surgery). It’s said that I should not spare in boxing because it involves a lot of hits to the face. There’s no problem with martial arts like bjj or taekwondo.
    Would it be OK for me to join a KM class?
    Maybe some of you guys’ve had LASIK and could tell me your personal experience?

tech94

Re: Is KM ok for me if I’ve had lasik

Had my LASIK done in January of ’06. Never regret it and hasn’t ever been an issue for me. I’m a critical care nurse in a trauma icu. Have never had a traumatic head injury patient that had LASIK that suffered any additional issues as a result of the LASIK. I started training in ’07 so my eyes had time to heal.

cavaliere

Thanks, that sounds hopeful.
    Is there much forceful impact on the head in KM, comparable to the one you get sparring in boxing? :box:

quote cavaliere:

Hi guys,
    I want to take up KM but there’s one question for me. I’ve had lasik (corrective laser eye surgery). It’s said that I should not spare in boxing because it involves a lot of hits to the face. There’s no problem with martial arts like bjj or taekwondo.
    Would it be OK for me to join a KM class?
    Maybe some of you guys’ve had LASIK and could tell me your personal experience?
    jjbklb

A gal in my class had Lasik & was told to be very careful the first couple weeks till the corneal flap (they make to do the work under) gets a chance to firmly reattach.

doublestrike

Hi Cavaliere,

I think you’ll be fine joining a KM class. I would advise you to inform your instructor(s) and your class partner though just so they are aware. In addition, if you continue to study KM and move up the ranks where sparring and more rigorous training is expected, you can purchase headgear with a full face cage vs. the traditional boxing head gear for added protection.

Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: