Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    socruel

I’ve been doing a lot of reading about Krav Maga, but I’m not getting all the answers to my questions. Hopefully, you all may be able to make things clearer for me.

Q. Is Krav Maga enough to be a consistant effective fighting system, or should it be backed up with training in Muay Thai, Judo and Jiu-Jitsu? I’m asking this question, because I don’t want to study several martial arts if Krav Maga incorporates enough of them to be highly effective.

Q. Once a person has reached the black belt level in Krav Maga, what percentage of the following martial arts has one learned? Muay Thai, Judo and Jiu-Jitsu

Q. Is it true that a student of Krav Maga doesn’t begin weapon training until 2 year into training?

SoCruel

ffdo

If you just want a very simple and straight forward self defence you can actually use on the street Krav is enough in and of itself. Unlike many traditional martial arts that require years of training before becoming moderately effective on the street, you will learn things you can actually use from the first class.

If you want to enroll in the UFC and win the world tittle Krav may still be enough at an advanced level, but it would be good to have other things as well. Especially ground fighting arts. Krav has some ground fighting but you wouldn’t beat a Gracie with it if he took you down.

It really depends on what you need. For my job the vast majority of defensive training I do is in Krav, and I have no doubts it will do the trick.

Weapons work is dependent on your level and not the time. If you train hard and show up to workouts daily you will of course advance faster than someone going twice a week. Also, if you are in law enforcement or some other area that will put you at risk from armed attackers, you can always get the weapons training….

I don’t know the answer to your second question, but I am sure it will show up on here.

When it comes down to it no martial art is every thing to every body. Cross training is always good but only you can choose where to put your training emphasis….

JC

klem

From the first day of Krav you will learn to punch, block, move, and defend yourself against a variety of chokes/grabs. You will learn how to defend yourself if you are on the ground and how to get back up in a defensive manner. Most of the above will work against a punch, a club, or a knife. There are specific techniques for guns which can also be applied to defending against a knife. You will also physically work real hard.

Krav was developed to quickly and simply teach military and civilians an effecient and effective way to defend themselves in a life and death situation. If that is what you are looking for, then Krav will give it to you.

As FFDO stated, if your goals are different then Krav may not give you what you need. There will be no focus on submission fighting ( little or no arm/leg bars and fancy chokes), minimal/no neat tricks that you can show to your friends (breaking boards, movie like jumping spinning kicks, quaint \”self-defense\” moves that require your partner to \”attack\” just right), no competitions or trophies.

Generally, unless you are very experienced in martial arts, you would be better off training in just one school of fighting whehter it is Krav, Ju-Jitsu, Judo, Karate, Muy Thai, etc… and become good at that, rather than trying to do everything and becoming really good at nothing.

rangerg

For the most part, Krav should be enough for most of the street situations you would encounter.

I think that the most common sense approach I have ever seen and heard about street self defense, was presented by Ryan Hoover (who I think is on this forum)

While I train in Krav, I keep my eye out for any other tactics, moves, or methods from any other martial arts form that would enhance my ability to avoid or improve my chances in a \”situation\”.

The day you stop learning, is the day they are putting you in the ground.

xkirian

If trained with a realistic \”Street\” emphasis vs. a \”Sport\” emphasis then Krav should be enough for the most common attacks/attackers you will face on the street.

If you want to \”sharpen\” specific tools then, Boxing, Thai Boxing and Ju-Jitsu are good for that, but the application of said tools is strictly done within a \”Sport\” model.

So when \”sparring\” a Boxer or a Thai Boxer, they will have the ability to apply these tools against you very successfully, because thats all they do. Krav gives you the \”Street\” application of the same \”tools\”, but in \”sparring\” you cant perform many of the Krav applications, eye gouges, biting, groin kicks, elbows, head buts, etc.

As long as you don’t confuse the two (Sport vs. Street) you should understand where your Krav skills will be applied best, i.e., \”The Street\”.

Hope it helps,

Kirian

niq

Re: Is Krav Maga Enough?

1. Pretty much what others said.. sport vs practicality.. on the street.. krav should be more than enough… although most people where I train combine techniques.. we have a lot of krav and BJJ people.. which I think compliment each other nicely.. as soon as i feel my back is up to par, I will continue doing that too.. but you also have to consider the reason why you want to learn..

2. Not sure I understand.. but I’m going to say none?!?!? I mean, you have similarities in certain techniques between them.. but they are all their own thing so to speak.. if you’re concerned about percentages of this and that.. you may want to consider a mixed martial art.. could be something well known and huge, or something the instructors at the place you train at created themselves..

3. Not counting firearms.. basic beginner level krav is really all you need to defend against handheld weapons…. the motions are basically the same.. 360 defense, inner defense..no difference if they jab with their fist or stab at you with a knife… it’s just an extension of their arm..

although the upper levels is when they get into specific \”scenarios\”. at my place, they actually don’t start attacking you with the knives, sticks, guns, etc until the upper levels.. and they are specific \”scenarios\”.. but it all boils down to the same basic movements.. that’s why where I train you always see upper level students still attending the entry level classes..

ryan

RangerG, I’m glad you enjoyed the seminar.

Krav Maga is a self defense system designed to get you to a level of proficiency quickly. If that’s your goal, then yes, it’s all you need.

topitbull

I’ve been training close to a year, I am an intermediate.

My first class I learned a Gun to the body from the front defense.

So 2 years before weapons seems obsurd!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: