Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is Krav Maga similar to Jeet Kune Do?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author

I’ve heard from a Jeet Kune Do teacher that if I can’t find a good JKD class near me, I should look for a good Krav Maga school because it’s very similar. Is this true?

te

No.

john

I disagree with Te, it depends on the JKD instructors version/flavor of JKD. Go to a JKD school, go to a Krav school, find out which one you like best (if you have both). If you started with JKD (it sounds like you did) and there are no JKD schools, check out a Krav school, then check out another school and make a decision on what you think is the best school for you.

saxman314

Different styles, same philosophy. Anyone would benefit from training both styles.

muleg7

I have done a little of both and they can be similar in many ways. In most schools, both have an emphasis on the punches from boxing. There is also a lot of work with knees, elbows, etc. My (former) JKD school taught the 360 defense & also simultaneous counters much the same way as Krav Maga. In fact, many of the drills I have done in Krav are nearly identical to the ones I practiced in JKD. I am sure someone out there will disagree, but from my experience they are very similar.

There are also major differences. JKD is not really a set martial art, whereas Krav has specific techniques that are a part of a set curriculum. I think you are taking a much bigger gamble when you join a JKD school, because JKD doesn’t have the quality control of Krav Maga. Virtually anyone could go open a JKD school and say they are a qualified instructor with no fear of recourse. Many JKD schools have heavy affiliation with Kali and or Silat, which IMO are really not similar at all to KM.

So I guess the answer is yes and no. 🙄

caliwt

If you took JKD, then you learned concepts for adapting martial arts to fit your personal characteristics. Any quality style should fit the bill.

Krav, BJJ, EBMAS, Escrima, general Boxing, or Muy Thai could all be good choices for a JKD stylist. Even judo or fencing, if you can’t find a more combat oriented style. 😉

JKD itself is just a concept.

where is Stevenson Ranch anyway (zip code?) ❓

clfmak

There’s different types of JKD despite/because of its simple conceptual framework. There’s original JKD, which is basically Bruce Lee’s style outlined in the Tao of JKD, which I would label Jun Fan kung fu. Another branch is the stuff that Dan Inosanto teaches- heavilly influenced by filipino weapon arts, nothing but good things to say about him. Then, there’s Paul Vunak, who is known for his teaching of JKD concepts. His curriculum focuses on all ranges of fighting. A JKD school you’ll find is probably from one of these branches.

I’ll compare Vunak’s style, as thats the one I’m most familiar with. Its fairly similar to krav. I’d say it is superior as far as weapons training (the use of the stick and knife, from the kali/silat influence) but doesn’t go as far as krav as far as disarms and dealing with threats goes. Because of this weapon art influence, the unarmed stuff also gets into FMA concepts like defanging the snake and tool destruction, but most of the standup is similar to muay thai. Also emphasizing driving forward with elbows, knees, and headbutts (like krav) His groundfighting is a mix between BJJ and kino mutai, so it is basically BJJ with biting and eye gouging. Krav seems to have a similar approach to groundfighting. Overall, its like krav with a more kali/silat flavor, with more emphasis on the fighting aspect, where krav is more into the scenario type taining and the whole confrontation, not just the fight.

Oh, come on CaliWT, not even you will add wing tsun to the list of good choices? 😉

caliwt

its Wing Tzun with z now……

Don’t make me advertise on here!!! and I was really hurt noone mentioned my article in IKF last month…. 😉

I said EBMAS, which is Wing Chun (Wing Tzun) and Escrima (Latosa), just like Bruce did. He can go do his own research….

Thanks for the responses. Stevenson Ranch is zip code 91381.

No I haven’t started with JKD yet, but I’ve read some of Bruce Lee’s books about it, and it really interests me a lot. I guess I’d rather do JKD because I don’t like the idea of having set procedures that I’m supposed to follow when I’m confronted in given situations (which sounds like what Krav is). I’d feel kind of limited that way. I want to learn the techniques to emphasize for power and speed, and the concepts of what I should do, and train that way, but I don’t want to learn EXACTLY what I must do in each situation. I don’t know, but it just sounds like it would place limits on my abilities.

klem

You have to be careful when you start saying that KM has set procedures that is limiting. You want to train yourself through repetitions to react instinctively to a situation. The set procedures can also be described as basic fundementals. Over time as you gain experience and proficieny, you will have more flexibility on how you can handle a given situation.

There is a misconception that JKD is this freelance method of fighting. The principal is that you are not held to any one style of fighting, but you are still limited to the style you are using at the given moment for the given situation whether it comes from BJJ, Kali, Muy Thai, Wing Chung, etc…

I heard Danny Inasanto once compare JKD to getting a masters degree. Regardless of how smart or talented you are, you don’t just enter a masters degree program from day one. You still have to start in kindergarten, got to elementary school, high scool, and undergrad,, working your way up through the basic fundementals and advancing along with your experience and knowledge. That’s why in his academy you didn’t start in the JKD classes. You took Filipino martial arts, Muy Thai, or one of the other classes offered and had to be voted into the JKD class. It may be different now.

Oh I see. So, when two Krav Maga students spar each other, who wins? The person who can execute faster?

muleg7

Re:

quote \”fixationdarknes\:

Oh I see. So, when two Krav Maga students spar each other, who wins? The person who can execute faster?

I don’t understand your question. Who would win in a one on one between two basketball players?

caliwt

Both people win in sparring, it is an exercise.

JKD is about mastering systems. Most people try to collect parts and make their own system. This is not correct. ystems are not often made in one generation.

Bruces first system was WC. He needed to add missing parts. He mastered other systems to get parts. WC had a place to put them.

Hawkings Chueng wrote a great article in IKF explaining this concept. Maybe a style has one great move. You still need to master the system to understand the move. The move doesn’t stand alone.

KM is just the same punches and kicks everyone else uses. It is the collection of theorys and applications that make it KM.

Even if you do try to master two systems, say BJJ and MT, you still need to make it your own, to combine them together. This is not easy, and alot of fighting and sparring are required. This is where the idea of a \”complete\” system comes in.

A complete system will have avenues for each tool that you master. It may not have ground fighting, but it will have a structure so that when you take judo or BJJ, it fits right in. JKD is trying to do this. Sometimes JKD becomes its own style, and this can be a problem.It becomes a collection of parts, and not a system.

8)

kali111

Re: Is Krav Maga similar to Jeet Kune Do?

Jeet Kune Do and Krave Maga both use a vertical fist for a straight punch. I think the stances are similar too.

don

Re: Is Krav Maga similar to Jeet Kune Do?

http://www.youthedesigner.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/zombie-photos-1.jpg

last post was 09-28-2005. 2005! replying in 2012 has got to be a record! lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: