Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is Krav Maga Useless in Ground Fighting?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    catapult

Re: Is Krav Maga Useless in Ground Fighting?

The biggest problem I have with most BJJ guys is they want to go to the ground because they think they have an advantage there. But on the street, if he takes me to the ground, even if he’s so good he’s dominating me, how does he know my buddy isn’t going to step around the corner and kick him in the head while he’s going for a choke or a joint manipulation?

You said in better words one of the things I was trying to emphasize.

unstpabl1

Again there is a differnce between gi and No gi, Sport and street jits. The Gracie Academy in their street SD class advise not to take the fight to the ground….flat out…in the sports venue a lotta guys flop to their back because A) Their bottoms…SHHHH!!! rather they like the bottom game or their school doesn’t work takedowns enough for them to feel comfotable…Its to me one of the bullcrap parts onf the sport but it shouldn’t be considered part of the bjj solution to the street.

Sean and I have a friend whose great at BJJ , but he was also a D2 wrestler and a practicing Judo BB. He competes in both bjj anf judo and would much perfer to dump someone on their head both in comp or street

lions2011

hi unstop. I do not know if you remember me since its been over a year just wanted to say hi.

I am doing Muay Thai still for the last 15 months. I really like it but as sure as HELL would never want to compete in it. So just safe practice is enough for me lol

Judo seems like a very complex martial art to learn from what I read and is one of the most difficult to learn.

lions2011

JUst because BJJ is sports focus does not mean it will not translate into a real life street situation.

A good white belt in BJJ could easily slap on an arm bar, kimura or triangle on you before you even knew what happen and it would be over. That simple.

so I would use caution when saying BJJ is only good for sport. It works in any situation.

And BJJ is great for smaller guys who are not as physical as others because it works off leverage.

However, as they say in Krav you are far safer on your feet.

lions2011

KRav teaches some basic escapes and has tons of strikes on the ground with hands and kicks. So Krav has some ground stuff just nothing like BJJ.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Seriously? I have to admit Lions yours comments are always worth a good laugh.

I just hope the newer members of the forums catch on quickly. Nice to have you back, I’ve missed the comic relief, always leaves me shaking my head.

t-krav

What Krav curriculum are you looking at? Arm bars, Kimura’s, Triangles are all taught in in KMWW curriculum – as well as escapes from the guard, mount, hi mount etc. Where study Krav they also teach escape from different ground positions like side control, scarf hold, guillotene, RNC etc.

BJJ is a great sport and one that can add to your toolbox. Rolling in BJJ classes (gi or no gi) is also excellent training.

So depending on what your are looking for there are different options. Krav gives your a great base of situational awareness, ability to “switch yourself on”, stand up striking, ground defense, the context of multiple attackers, making space and dealing with weapons (sticks, knives, guns). Oh, and sometimes you can even take 3rd party protection seminars and learn how to deal with threats to your loved ones or companions.

$0.02,

lions2011

T-krav. Yes but the BJJ taught at Krav is not the same quality as you will get from a BJJ School. In fact you will be missing a lot of the more subtle points that will cause the submission to lose effectiveness. Plus it is hard to remember when you do not do it for a regular basis.
    Still, I really enjoy Krav and highly recommend it. Just being honest about the submissions being taught in Krav.

lions2011

Thanks CJ’s Dad. I am surprised you remember me from 15 months ago or so. I do not remember being one of your favorites here lol. Glad I make you laugh even through it is not a joyful laugh.

I have been training as hard as my mid 30 year old body allows me. I just wish I Started martial arts about 10-12 yrs earlier but better now than never.

psyops

Take a look. Perhaps this helps a bit. http://lasvegaskravmaga.com/ground-fighting/

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: