Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Is this common in other schools?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    ryan

Re: Is this common in other schools?

Ok, my last post on this one, but being a certain rank has NO bearing on ability to transfer information. It does not take into account many other experiences that an instructor might bring to the table. Give me the the 35 year old guy who has a few years of boxing, maybe bounced a little, been a manager, who has been through a rigorous certification process, not the 21 year old brown belt.

oasktf

Yes, but in the specific case that i¥ve told. you dont need ant experience in fighting systems, if you decide to become an instructor you only have to do the instructors course(20 days) and join the IKMF.
    It doesn¥t matter for me that some elite forces form instructor in less time. For me what matters is Krav-Maga and his objective to teach people how to defend themselves.The instructor is the person who theaches that knowledge, someone who has a good knowledge of the system and his techniques.
    In my opinion, a 20 days instructor, isn¥t prepared to teach people.
    sorry, just my opinion, and i dont understand how IKMF as one of the serious organizations in Krav Maga, uses this method.

mikwrigh

A 20 hour course may be sufficient to cover all material for actual instruction, but things like comfort/confidence in the classroom and effective methods of teaching & encouraging students is likely gained through lengthier experience.

kirk

I started Krav in June of ’08, just about 3 months later I expressed interest in being an instructor. Our head instructor/GM inqured about my abilities with the other instructors, not to base the decission on his own observations.

I was asked to start instructor training before I even took my Level One test. 2 – 3 months prior to Phase A, 3 times a week for two hours I trained with our head instructor on Level 1 and 2 material as well as mock teaching. This is also in addition to the my regular classes that I also took.

I went to Phase with 3 of my fellow “brothers” from Krav Maga Maryland in November. Our Instructor for Phase was Sam Sade. We gave 100% every day. If we were not prepared, if we weren’t good enough, if Sam had the slightest bit of doubt that we did not have the ability to instruct to the standard of Krav Maga Worldwide, to transfer the knowledge of these techniques… We would have been failed. During my Phase one person was asked to not even test.

The process of me becoming an instructor did not stop at passing Phase. From their I had a very formal and structured aprenticship that lasted at least another 2 months.

I have had the pleasure to be trained by Jeff Mount, Sam Sade, Jeanine Jackson and Jon Guzy. ALL AMAZING INSTRUCTORS, and practitioners!!! I am still leaning and training everyday to become a better instructor, look at the shoes I try and fill everyday when I “One Line” a class. I am by far no where close to being the best but for damn sure I give my all and would give my life trying to acheive that lofty goal. I believe in my abilities, I know those who I have listed above also believe in me. I am confident that when you step outside that I have given you the tools necessary to protect yourself and get home safe.

On a side note, Ryan knows Jeff Mount, Jeremy may also know him. My point being is that Jeff was asked to go to Phase A 3 weeks into starting Krav Maga. Ryan and many others can attest to the level and quality of his instruction. Just another example.

Thank you Ryan and Jeremy for your insight!

kirsten

quote oasktf:

In my opinion, a 20 days instructor, isn¥t prepared to teach people.
    sorry, just my opinion, and i dont understand how IKMF as one of the serious organizations in Krav Maga, uses this method.

Then don’t take class from them. Go down the street and find the guy that has many many years of teaching since time is equal to quality for you. Good luck with your training.

doublej226

I think Kristen just ended this debate. Well said.

andy-m

OASKTF,

I agree with Kirsten. If you are not happy with what you are getting head to an instructor who meets your requirements.

Just as an aside, I just want to clarify a point of fact. The IKMF requires candidates for its instructor programme to have a MINIMUM of 6 years experience in martial arts, preferably with instructional experience, prior to acceptance (if they are not already Krav Maga practitioners). In addition, they require the nomination of the local IKMF director and a host of other prerequisites concerning their potential suitability to become an instructor. The basic instructor course is 20-22 days long and a minimum of 180hrs. Ryan’s example above is in the same vein.

Hope this helps.

Andy

rz1

quote oasktf:

Yes, but in the specific case that i¥ve told. you dont need ant experience in fighting systems, if you decide to become an instructor you only have to do the instructors course(20 days) and join the IKMF.

Errr… I humbly beg to disagree.

IKMF are a bit more discerning than you think.

oasktf

I am talking about Portugal situation. in our site http://www.ikmf-portugal.com, we have on the Instructor courses part, that information.

4 years background, or good kicking and punching abilities
    etc .. etc..

But we have people doing the course without any experience in Krav-Maga or MA.
    The only requisit really necessary is the 2200 Ä. you may not be aproved, but until the date nobody has failed.
    Kirsten i respect your opinion, but Portugal isn¥t like the USA, we don¥t have another offer or organization “down the street”.
    I like the system of Krav-Maga of IKMF, i have already trained with FEKM(Richard Douieb) and it wasn¥t the same.
    I have a good Instructor, and i feel i am evolving in the system.
    But this “fast-food” instructors concerns me. Some people have said to me, that their politic is to form the instructor and then will be a “natural selection”, where only the good will survive, but during that period bad prepared people are teaching civilians how to defend themselves. Sometimes i wonder if what they defend isn¥t just about business and marketing…

psyops

First off,

I highly doubt that IKMF is handing out certifications without properly training the instructor. I have attended,completed and passed certification courses taught by Eyal.There is no way the IKMF is going the way of Commando Krav Maga!

jl

Psyops is right,
    I don’t have much info on the Portugal locations but the IKMF, IKMA, do not issue a certificate to anyone without proper certified training. Eyal and Haim, and many of the higher BB Instructors frown deeping on anyone using the name of Krav Maga without proper training. Train where you believe the best dojo is, which also adheres to a high level of quality control. Hope this helps you. JL

oasktf

Hello once again.
    I have already mi opinion changed.the situation is that the course started last week, and i have a friend of mine, doing it. He says that the course is very good and professional.The course is being given by expert 5 Amnon Darsa.

Regards

psyops

If Amnon is teaching the course I can assure you that the level of instruction is top notch! Amnon is born again hard! He is the real deal!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: