Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics is weight gain after testing normal?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kravmagirl91

Greetings KM folks! I am new to the boards but I love, love, love KM. I had a question that I can’t find an answer to so thought I’d sign up and see if I could find some help.

I have been taking KM level one 3 or more times per week since Feb. I just tested into level 2 (hooray!!) a week and a half ago. I am five foot seven and have a “curvy” figure–aka I have never been bone thin. I have a lot of muscle and went into the test at a comfortable 151. I would like to continue getting stronger and losing fat, but I easily tell I’ve gained major muscle tone and lost a lot of fat just in the course of normal training.

Here’s the weird part. Two days after the test–wham–I weighed 155. I didn’t eat a lot extra or drink alcohol in excess (definitely not 4 lbs worth anyway, just some bourbon and a donut to celebrate), and nothing else changed. Eating habits are normal. I even went to class twice last week despite severe soreness and wounds.

So my question is, is weight gain normal after a test? My heart rate monitor said I burned 2900 calories in those 5 hours, so if anything, I should have dropped a pound. Did I gain that much muscle without burning as much fat? What’s going on? Outside of ballet, this is the only fitness program I have ever done so I’m new to it all. :dunno:

I really appreciate any advice from KM veterans or insight. Thank you!

PS, extra information in case it helps with context: I know I eat enough daily (1800-2300 cals depending on whether I go to class, which is 250 under my “maintain weight” limit because I would ideally like to still slim down just a tad). My measurements haven’t changed, either–if anything I’m thicker. But I do look more muscular and toned, just not sure if that’s where the weight is coming from.

Re: is weight gain after testing normal?

Hi KMG91,
    It happened to me also, I noticed my body holding on to fluids and water weight for about a week after my last test, then it went down and stabilized. Hope this helps.

kravmagirl91

Thanks for the input! I lost a pound as of today, but still wasn’t sure if the rest would come off on its own. I guess water retention makes sense, if you think of it as the test being a form of trauma–both physical and on your mind–so maybe your body tries to conserve all the resources it can in case of a second marathon-level attack? Bodies are so interesting.

pinkgloves

Congrats on testing into level two. :woohoo:

kravmagirl91

Thank you! :wav: It was a major struggle and a major achievement. Krav has done a lot for me!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: