Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    walker

I was wondering if there is any truth to the difference between Israeli Krav, and what we do here in the U.S. I read on alot of websites, and forums, that we do this watered down version, compared to \”real\” Krav. I am very happy with my school, and in training in other martial arts, very happy with the things I have learned in Krav. So how is it different, if it is? Does anyone here train there, or have trained there that could give there experience?

Thanks

armor-all

If you’re happy with your training, then why the question?

walker

Honestly you are right. It was just a out of curiousity. Even if I was told it wasn’t the same I would still go.

dave

I’m new to Krav, so I don’t know if our version is watered down. But I do know that the Isreali military are some bad azz mo-fo’s. While we are sitting in a classroom learning about \”sexual harrassment\”, the Isreali military is learning about \”enemy harrassment\”. While we try to be politically correct and aware of our enemys feeling, they(Isreali military) are training to kill the emeny quicker and harder.

I know that our troops kick azz and we do have the worlds best special forces, but the Isreali military is extremely efficient with the limited number of soldiers that they have. I have great respect for anyone in uniform, American or Isreali. But the Isreali military has earned my respect through shear \”politically correct\” defiance and brute force.

abeast

I have to say that just because Walker is happy with his/her training does not make his/her question invalid. I think this is an major issue for Krav as it moves forward into popular culture.

justdoit

I am also love krav but agree that we train a watered down system!
    I keep learning myself any reality system I can!
    I just got the 2 DVDs of combat survival (by Israeli name moni aizik)and they are the best I ever seen!!!!!
    I also want to check another system by Jim wagner but I am not so sure about him!

ryan

Moni Aizik. 🙄 You people have ruined his name for me. The guy could have the greatest material on earth, and I wouldn’t buy it because of the people that are obviously associated with him.

Regarding \”Israeli vs. American\”, I say who cares? My students don’t have the same concerns as those in Israel (it’s even different, to a degree, than those in NY or Chicago.) Why would I teach them the same way? I have trained with several Israelis, and they have a much different mindset than most Americans with regards to self protection issues–as well they should.

At high levels of KM, students are taught how to deal with hand grenades and SMGs. How many of my students in the suburbs of Charlotte, NC, want to spend their training time on something that they will likely never face? In Netanya, it makes much more sense.

To each his own. Everything has or needs context, and gross generalizations are rarely accurate (especially when the information is from second or third hand and biased sources.)

I hear this \”watered down\” argument a lot. According to who? Relative to what?

armor-all

abeast,
    I was not invalidating Walker’s question. The point is, if a particular self defense system is meeting your needs, who cares if it is taught slightly different in another country. Ryan has covered some of the more salient points better than I could.

The funny thing is you see the same questions and combative attitudes in other martial arts. Kickboxing should only be taught by the Dutch, Jiu Jitsu by Brazilians, Sombo by Russians, Tae Kwon Do by Koreans, Judo by Japanese, etc. If that were the case, then maybe immigrants should come in and make money off of their super-secret moves. Oh wait a second, guys like Moni already have that covered.

kurtuan

As Ryan and Armor All have said, it’s probably more about needs than being \”watered down.\” The needs of civilians and military personel are different. Civilians need to survive an attack, soldiers need to kill the enemy. Krav wouldn’t be such an effective self defense system if it’s civilian practitioners were taught to kill their assailants.

yuri

Israeli Krav

There is no difference between Israeli Krav and American Krav. I have been teaching in Israel for 10 years (both civilian and military personal) and teach in Orange County (kravmagaoc.com) for over 3 years now with American instructors. All of us (4 instructors) have the same level of expertise with more than 15 years of experience per each instructor.

yaniv

It is very similar

I agree with Yuri. I am an Israeli who trained in Israel for my job and currently train in the U.S. I have to say that the methods are the same. The difference is in the focus. In Israel the goal was to kill as fast as you can (terrorists) and move on to the next perpetrator. Here the focus is on self defense (as it should be). But the methods are very similar.

dalamar

Thank you Yuri and Yaniv for answering the real question.

walker

Yes thank you Yuri and Yaniv. I just wanted to know from people with actual experience in both. I figured that some of the training would be a little different do to different needs. But when kept hearing this watered down version, I was wondering if our training just wasnt even close. Thanks again for clearing it up.

yuri

Israeli Krav

Yaniv,
    were are you training?. Are you in Orange county area?

yaniv

Unfortunately I live in Detroit MI 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: