Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Jeff Gordon’s MMA in Gaithersburg MD

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    gas-can

Hi guys,
    First post, so if this is in the wrong place, my apologies! :chair:

I’m planning on traveling to some rather strange countries in a couple of years and need to learn a practical self defense system to prepare for the trip (no martial arts/fighting experience at all so far).

The schools I’ve narrowed it down to so far have been a Hapkido school near my house and Jeff Gordon’s MMA in Gaithersberg MD.

I’m assuming that Krav Maga would probably be the most suitable for me at the moment, b/c Hapkido, while effective, seems to take a longer amount of time to get down well. [Also, while the Hapkido school is really close to my house and the teacher seems to be excellent, they are rather expensive ($200/ month -month to month)]

I’ve done some research on Gordon’s school and the results so far have been primarily about the other arts they teach. I have not been able to find much info about the KM program under the current teacher Ehren Hollander. Do any of you guys have any remarks about him or the program? The school in general? Prices? Any alternative places near Silver Spring/Rockville that I’ve missed?

I will visit the school and hopefully get to see a class in action next week, but any info you can give me would most appreciated.

Thanks!
    S

gas-can

Re: Jeff Gordon’s MMA in Gaithersburg MD

No one from MD? Awww : (

If no one knows about this particular location, anyone else have any tips on identifying a good krav teacher? I’m a complete newbie so even basic tips would be helpful. I’m going to take a few trial classes with them next week so I’m going to keep my eyes open for the obvious mcdojo signs, but I’m not sure if there are any krav specific things I should be aware of.

Thanks,
    -S

don

What/which are “strange countries” and why will you be traveling to them? Are you fluent in the language(s) there?

IMO, kinda hard to give you tips if/when you have no prior training/experience – I would recommend bringing someone with decent KM experience with you when checking a school.

mara-jade

Welcome to the forum,

I’m with Don-hard to know what you’re looking for when you haven’t done KM.

gas-can

Thanks for the replies/welcome Don and Mara. :beer:

The countries will be certain parts of Europe and perhaps even some former Soviet republics. I’ve planned on traveling through these countries for a while (kinda like a backpacking trip I suppose) and have heard some interesting stories so I wanted to prep for the trip. I speak a bit of the languages in question and will also know people in some of the countries so that shouldn’t be too much of a prob.

I’ve always wanted to learn a practical self defense system but never had the time for it before (or the money- college=Broke!) so it would be a way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I’ve been reading the entries in the forum from the other guys that started km -I just wanted to see if anyone had any info about this particular school.

Does the fact that they are listed in the main site (kravmaga.com) as a worldwide training center given them any validity/credence?

Thanks,
    -sam

don

Every time I hear about backpacking throughout Europe, I think of:

😀

I think knowing something about where you’re going (including being able to communicate) is hugely important. Being able to protect yourself IS critical but IMO, being able to avoid physical altercations, including just giving up property upon being robbed, is a better bet, especially in foreign countries. If you’ve got a year or two before you journey, you’ve definitely got time to learn some things and get good! Sorry, no feedback from me on that school but, all else being equal, I would consider it a definite plus that it’s listed on this website.

unstpabl1

@ Don LOL

kmky

[quote=Don;54834]Every time I hear about backpacking throughout Europe, I think of:

😀

rofl2

kmyoshi

Not to scare the OP but any time I hear the term “backpacking” and “Europe” (Eastern) in one sentence, I think of that terrible film series Hostel 🙁

gas-can

Haha thanks for the laugh Don. Now I got another thing to worry about :D:

I actually got a chance to visit both schools (km and the hapkido school) and I’ve decided to go with the Hapkido class, at least for the time being. It’s closer to my house (~10mins) and I really loved the people/teacher.

The people at the km place seemed friendly and competent but there were some pressure selling points that I didn’t really appreciate- plus it’s 30 mins away, so it’s more likely that I will visit the Hapkido place after a long hard day.

Again, many thanks for the replies. I’ll also definitely keep that advice in mind Don.

Thanks again,
    gas-can
    :beer:

gas-can

Just a little addendum b/c I realized that a person reading this thread could get a bad impression of the school from my previous post: it’s a nice school and the people are nice- It’s just the sales tactics include things like having to join right there on the spot or face a 170 registration charge later. I just don’t like things like that. Makes me feel like I’m trying to buy a used car…

As always, please take this opinion on the internet with a grain of salt…Try the school yourself before you make up your mind.

-gc

don

All else being equal, IMO, KM is going to be better at preparing you for protecting/defending yourself than HKD but, like you pointed out, sometimes you have to weigh all the factors and decide from a broader standpoint.

kmyoshi

I wish you the best in your training! I wish I lived closer to my training center. I have to drive about 30 minutes away to train and sometimes it’s a real PITA because of traffic and gas expenses.

sicpuppy

quote KMyoshi:

I wish you the best in your training! I wish I lived closer to my training center. I have to drive about 30 minutes away to train and sometimes it’s a real PITA because of traffic and gas expenses.

I know how you feel re: driving to classes. I drive about an hour to class 4x/week!

As far as the high pressure sales tactics, keep in mind that is not Krav, that is that individual instructor/school. Personally, I would have told him to ”F” off!

My instructor let’s everyone have the first well for free- as many level 1 classes as he puts on- which is usually 4-5 /week. Then you can decide, but there is zero pressure! And there is no BS ”registration” fee- which is nothing but greed trying to take more money!

I think Krav would be the better system to take, but good luck! Enjoy Europe.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: