Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    leftie79

I was curious if anyone jump ropes while not in class but on your own time? I bought one today and was going to use it on my off days or when I wanted to get a 10 min workout in. I know boxers jump rope and there are many advantages for this exercise.

jjbklb

Since starting Krav Maga classes,I have added jump-rope & step running to my exercise regimen.I do this once a week.I think that it will help me in my running endurance also,especially on hills.

I’m up to 20 minutes on the rope.No,I’m not co-ordinated enough to do it non-stop;so its really off & on for 20 minutes.

I then run up the cellar steps.I’m up to 14 times this week.Then I finish with some plyometrics.

la-revancha

Learning to jump rope will substantially improve your conditioning and coordination.

I first started jump roping in high school to cut weight during wrestling. Then I moved on to leather \”boxing style\” ropes in college, but those would snap after long use. Now I use moderately thick rubber tubes.

It takes perseverance and a certain element of masochism (I whip myself all the time). I never attempted maximum duration, but I routinely go for 30-40 minutes when the Bas tapes seem unappealing. Matter of fact, jump roping is how I conditioned myself for Phase A back in the day; (40mx3)/week for a month.

Good luck. If you are really into punishment, purchase a heavy rope (3-4 lbs.)

armor-all

La Revancha is quite the expert on jumping rope having seen him a couple of times in action. (where’s a good place to get one of those heavy ropes, BTW?)

I personally like jumping rope for the timing and footwork aspects. One good workout that will really help out your fighting involves 2 minutes of rope then 2 minutes of shadow boxing with the rope handles still in your hands. Then 2 rope/2 sb and keep flipping back and forth until exhaustion. If you have a rope with weighted handles it even adds more to the exercise.

susannah

Do recall, however that jumping rope is an excellent way to aggravate your achilles tendons, if you have tendency for such problems. So any pain that isn’t \”good pain\” should be listened to.

la-revancha

Gracias for the kind words, compadre. The check’s in the mail 😉

I’m sure there were people ready to string me up with that damn rope during Phase.

Asics brand heavy ropes are all the rage amongst the West Coast wrestlers (http://www.asics.com). They came with nice, foamy-knuckled handles. They don’t advertise this particular brand online, so you might want to try emailing them. You can periodically find some spin-offs on Ebay. They have been hard to find on the East Coast, IMO. Ask your Big Ten/Grapplers Quest buddy. I’m sure he knows where to get them.

I can’t tell you the difference b/w the 2 lb rope and the 4 lb. All I remember is that your deltoids will feel like they’re full of battery acid after a minute or two.

I like your JR drill. Think I’ll do that b/w Bas rounds next time.

BTW, are you going to Ryan’s seminar next week? Drop him a line if you need info.

armor-all

I occasionally JR between Bas boxing rounds. It keeps your motivation high since you’re maintaining your energy level instead of resting between rounds. Then again, there’s always the good ole’ \”…if you are not tired, jump up with your knees to your chest 10, 15 times…\” 😈

I’m probably not going to be able to make it down to Ryan’s next weekend, the way my schedule looks. We’ll have to catch up soon, though. Send me an e-mail when you get a chance.

jaeroo

I jumprope occassionally, which lasts about 10 min. Usually, it is my first workout after 10 min. of warmup shadowboxing. After I jump rope, I work the speedbag (10 min. hands/10 min. feet) and then the double-end bag (10 min.). This is a good session for me to maintain my footwork, reflexes, handspeed, timing, and precision when I have to train on my own. And it sure works the heart as well.

leftie79

Armor All…I like your jump rope routine..makes jumproping not so boring. Also, speaking of weights do you think you could just jump rope with at least a 3-5 lb. weight in your hand?

Since it seems that most of you do jump rope, have you noticed you have more endurance during drills and fighting (keep up and not get tired as fast?) Also, have you noticed your kicks and punches are stronger and have you noticed more tone in your legs, arms and abs?

armor-all

Leftie79,
    Jumping rope with some extra weight sounds like a great workout, although I personally haven’t tried it. I have shadowboxed the Bas Rutten boxing workout with 3 lb weights in my hands, and it seems to give me a different workout than hitting the thai pads or heavy bag. If you do decide to workout with the weight, it may be a good idea to ease into it rather then go 20 minutes with 5 lb weights from the get go.

To address your second question, jumping rope is one of the best fat burners out there. A 175-lb person can burn 660 calories over 30 minutes jumping rope versus 481 while running for the same length of time. And the timing and coordination benefits gained can really improve your overall fighting.

leftie79

Armor–Thankyou for the info. I will definetly do the 2 min. jumping then shadowboxing. After I get used to jump roping again I will then go for adding the weights. 🙂

jaeroo

For the double-end bag as well as shadowboxing, I go 5 min. as a right-hander, then switch to southpaw for the next 5 min. I’ve shadowboxed with 5 lb. weights to work my handspeed but I have not yet tried jumping rope using weighted handles.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: