Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Just back from Israel and KM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ffdo

OK, I just got back from training in Israel and promised yaíll a post when I got back.

First, this is not an advertisement for one federation vs. another. From what I understand the Summer camp in LA is set up very similarly so much of what I post here will apply to that as well. The class consisted of a wide range of experience, ages and fitness levels. There were people there with no KM or other MA experience and moderate fitness levels and those staying for the instructor class afterwards. Ages were from 19 to 60. Do not let your lack of prior experience keep you from attending one of these type programs. Of the 29 people attending there were people from 10 countries including as far away as New Zealand. We worked with a number of instructors but the primary for each session was either Eyal Yanilov or Gabi.

There were ten straight days of KM most with five to six hours of training per day. It started basic and rapidly advanced. The entire time was not designed to make you an expert level death machine but to introduce you to the wide range of what KM is and what it isnít. A lot of weapons defense was taught and practiced. KM was taught/ practiced in some rather unique environments including; parked and MOVING cars, a bus, gun range, the beach, after hiking up a 2000í mountain fortress during the heat of the day in front the walls of Jerusalem and in the Golan heights. We were also allowed to attend any of the local Israeli classes that we felt like. The techniques for the most part were the same as being taught in the US. A few things I canít imagine doing in the very litigious US of A were done though. Like, slamming your car to a stop, throwing the hijacker into the dash then disarming him or her and holding the pistol on the range in a disarm position then having it fired so you know what it feels like. (Nothing to it by the way.)

I could almost write a book about the whole thing but will start the post with the above.

JC

anonymous

I really wished you’d write that book. I’m getting excited just thinking about this!! 😀

Krav Maga in buses and moving cars? Throwing hijackers into a ditch? Firing guns? Where do I sign up? 😉

So, what exactly did you do in the moving cars? Was it like a car jacking situation? How exactly did you extract the hijacker from the vehicle after slamming on the brakes? Was it assumed that he would hurt himself (fly against the wind shield) after you slammed on the brakes? What if you (or he) was wearing a seat belt?

What about the bus? Was that a hijacking situation also? Did you get to try my favorite, the hand granade defense? I think a guy threatening people with a granade could happen on a bus.

How much of the time you had was spent on technique? How much on combatives (punching and kicking etc)?

What did it feel like when the gun was fired? Was it very loud? Did it startle you? Hurt your hand? What kind of gun was it?

As you can tell, I’m all excited, so keep those infos coming…. 😀

ffdo

OK, we started car day with Gabiís car, a couple of IDF instructorís cars and three rentals. We start with car jackings in a parked car, ie, getting in, sitting through the window. Then Gabi starts his car and demos what happens when you slam on the brakes with a gun to your head, then, we all took turns being the jacker and the driver. Limited to 10 km/hour to avoid injury. You basically disable the jacker, take the weapon and get out. They also showed how to get the car back and remove the bad guy from the car then leave him lying on the side of the road. Hopefully if done with enough braking the jacker would be hurt but they didnít assume it. Yes, they also taught how to do things with the jacker in then back seat. (To include a belt around your neck.) Let me take a moment to praise Gabi, the IKMF Chief Instructor in Israel. Not many instructors would let you drive their own car down the road while he attacked it with a paintball gun to teach you how to drive in an attack from the outside.) More on him in further posts.

The bus was not moving but they did demonstrate how to do the techniques in an isle, not much room for the grenade technique on that bus but I have tried it in an airlineís mock up and it worked well on a first class isle. It would also work from a seated position IF you were in the right seat. One thing on a bus or plane, you WILL end up pointing the gun at someone, but better to hurt one than to lose a whole plane load. Also of note, sit in an ISLE seat.

MUCH more time was spent on technique but every KM technique involves combatives so they were worked on there.

The gun was some eastern block knock off of a browning high power 9mm. No surpise and really, felt like nothing. I am sure the noise would have been surprising in real life, but knowing it was coming with the mouse ears on it was not. No pain in the hand and I mean it was NOTHING. Felt like maybe someone pulling a stick from your hand?

Gabi is the IKMF chief instructor for Israel. He is always smiling until he goes into a combative where his face changes to a maniacal death machine look. (Even in slow demos) He has been studying KM for 26 years and is a fourth level expert. Even with limited English skills he is the best instructor I have ever seen in anything, not just MA. (No problem for you here, this no good for you, this ok this okÖ.. etc etc) The thing that amazed me about him most is he still just loved to teach. I skipped one of the tour days to train an extra three hours with him and sit in on the kids classes. Yes, he taught the 4-6 and 6-8 groups himself. Six year olds defending against rubber knives, was WORTH watching. Of course Eyal is a fabulous instructor as well, but we all know his rep from the DVDs and the book.

JC

anonymous

FFDO,

I have spent many days with Gabi, when he came with others for a LE 17 days instructor seminar to Budapest. He is amazing and filled such a level of spirit and entusiasm, almost hard to describe. And yes, best guy till fighting mode.

Althogh my other favourite guy is Amnon. He is just as tough, beleive me…:)

ffdo

I have heard great things about Amnon as well. Hopefully I will meet him as well when I attend the LE instructors course.

anonymous

Wow, this is getting better and better. Instructors shooting up their own car with paint guns? Airplane mock ups? Man, I envy you. How much did they charge for all of that?

Were you and the attacker wearing a seat belt during the car jacking stuff?

ffdo

Driver should always wear a seat belt, if you don’t now, think of it as KM tyraining as very few car jacker/ bad guys will take the time to do that. In the training driver wore it attacker did not. (Yes, even KM how to get out of the shoulder harness while attacking technique was taught.)

The airline mock up was someplace else.

The ten days was 1200 US dollars including hotel. Of course travel to Israel and to Netanya from the airport were not included in that nor was lunch, and dinner and of course Mccabee. (Israeli beer) You also really need about two weeks of vacation to get there train and get back.

JC

johnwhitman

I’ve always considered Gabi to be one of the best people involved in KM anywhere.

h2h

cool stuff.

John, when are we hijacking your car in the parking lot at the KMNTC ? 😆

anonymous

FFDO,

Last LE instructor seminar was in Budapest. It was VERY good. 17 days hard work with Eyal, Gabi, Amnon, Zevik…wow

anonymous

1200$ for ten days plus hotel sounds like a good price for all of that fun. Did you do different kinds of exercises during each of those days? Did you also do other techniques (gun, knife) on the bus, or just the hand granade one? Damn, I’m all excited about this. We should do something similar at the NTC sometime.

And yes, H2H, I’d love to hear John say something like: \”Giantkiller, why don’t you go start up my car, while I’m getting the paint gun ready.\”

Oh, well, he did let us sit in his car for car jacking exercises once, so I guess that’s a start…. 😆

rob-s

Has anyone got a website for this? Where can i find out more info?

anonymous
    anonymous

Man, this looks good. I hope I’ll be able to go one day. 😀

ffdo

The tour and train course is done twice a year and Kman gave the web site of course. 1200 US was an EXCELLENT price for what you got. On a side note, it was such a good deal that the security folks at the airport had a hard time believing that I flew all the way there from the states to train with Gabi and Eyal. Two hours into the interogation I finally brought out the picture disk I had, and you could actually see the look of disbelief on their face as the looked at pictures of us gun training on Messada and knife training on the beach and yes Gabi paintballing his own car…….

Another thing to note is how much fun it was to train with people of all different levels from all over the world. Everyone came out bruised and battered. Trying the KM techniques against a Russian wresstler one minute then a guy that is training to fight pro the next was interesting.

I am sure the summer camp at the NTC will have a very simular feel to it minus the paintballs maybe…..

JC

Oh, and Kman, I think their next LE course is in Hungary next year and that is wear I will be attending unless I end up doing it at the NTC,

JC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: