Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Just had my very first sparing against another student, I need tips.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    oneness

Re: Just had my very first sparing against another student, I need tips.

You are looking to specific, but the biggest thing is reaction time.

Whatever it is you are getting hit with kicks or combinations, you then need to practice slow against those combatives or combinations. Your brain is focusing on to many other items and not what you need to recognize which is the movement.

I think the best way to put it is like this. If I put you on a basketball court and show you how to shoot a free throw for the very first time ever. Then with out shooting a practice shot, immediately have you close your eyes and then shoot, you will not make it. You have not given your brain and body enough times to recognize the given distance and body mechanics to make a shot with out seeing the basket. (hope that makes sense, it did in my brain, Ha Ha)

The whole part of sparring is to see what items you or your opponent are not immediately recognizing and then capitalize on it. This is why combatives and defenses need to be second nature. The difficult opponent is the one that constantly changes his attack.

This is why it is very difficult to fight certain professional fighters, because you have to have training partners simulate specific movements and patterns.

You are ahead of the game because you know what you are getting hit with. Now ask that student to work a little after class with you and in a short time you will be defending his attacks. But slow it down.

brewerm

Re: Just had my very first sparing against another student, I need tips.

Thanks, Oneness I does certainly feel like it is “coming at me” very fast. I will ask for more one on one time with those so I can feel more confortable.

Brewer

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: