Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums Student Lounge Karate instructor brandishes fake gun

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tinykrav

I admit I’ve only been at this a few months but I’m quite certain that MY Krav instructor would tell us NOT to purposely put ourselves (and others!) in danger like this and then DON’T point a fake gun at someone. Good grief.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/17/karate-instructor-takes-down-would-be-burglar-litt/?partner=RSS

uncleruckus

Re: Karate instructor brandishes fake gun

Nice find. I agree with what you said, but I have to disagree a little with your sentiment. I’ve only been at this since April and so far the training has all been on how to get out of sticky situations and I imagine proper detainment techniques are taught in the L/E classes only. But I have to admire somebody who takes responsibility for the safety of the people around him. I’ve always believed that a well-armed (red-tipped training guns aside) law-abiding citizen is a great ally to law enforcement. He didn’t take the law into his own hands, he caught the perp red handed and (hopefully) put him under citizen’s arrest. One thing that did make me go baroo? was

“Kowaclczik said Torres complied but after a few minutes noticed that the gun was a fake”

Common sense tells me that somebody being detained should be in a position where they can’t jump up and take you by surprise, and probably where they can’t directly see you to plan for how to incapacitate you and escape (i.e. can’t see your fake gun is fake). Thankfully I have no experience with this and am basing my common-sense on my books, Law & Order, and 24.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think crime exists because everyone thinks, “I dont want to get hurt.”

Which I think is a true tragedy of society. Imagine if everyone, or most able bodied peoples anyway, wouldnt take crap and would act whenever they could. I dont agree with vigilantism but proper detainment (Unless they are attempting to use deadly force of course) should be the goal of everyone.

It sickens me to see videos of gas stations being robbed and the other 5 people in the store running out and not even trying to help the person that could easily die.

I cant stand the line “dont be a hero”, and i am outraged that one can NOT protect another in America without fear of being sued or put in jail. I litterally day dream all day about what if someone walked in here (where ever i am) with a gun or something.

If I were in a gas station and someone robbed it at gunpoint… I would have no problem killing them. Sadly Id have to leave as not to be charged for murder JUST because I wasnt in DIRECT way of harm.

russell

while i agree with “karate man’s actions” i don’t agree with the response, what if mr bad guy had a real gun, real gun trumps rubbergun!, this could have gone from simple robbery to murder quickly, and with the 3 strike laws, criminals would take the chance to kill and get away, i would have brought a real gun to the gunfight, thanks to the wonderful state of indiana i can legally cary a fiream anywhere (but a commercial airplane,gambling riverboat,or a place that has a sign that says no firearms)

tinykrav

To clarify, I too support the notion that law abiding citizens have EVERY right to arm themselves and defend themselves to the point of death if necessary.

While I shouldn’t attempt to speak for my instructors I did have one tell me (while I was working with another female partner) he strongly recommended we not try and detain someone. I believe his words were something along the lines of “crush his knee cap, kick the sh*t out of him and then run.”

I really don’t see this as a self defense situation and more of a person chasing down someone he saw stealing a cash box from a school. If my neighbor saw someone stealing my own TV, when I wasn’t home, I wouldn’t recommend that he do something like this. If my neighbor saw me being physically assaulted then I say bring on the firepower, the bigger the better, no fake guns please.

jamesh-d30

For the record, TinyKrav trains at one of our locations and I’m often lucky enough to have her in my class. She is strong and aggressive and I congratulate her on passing her Yellow Belt Test!
    Also, I often comment and blog on subjects pertaining to crime and self defense and I did comment on this story on the local NBC affiliate news website. Here is my comment:

“There is a golden rule when it comes to weapons, if you brandish a weapon, you better be prepared to use it. This guy had noble intentions and I’m glad it turned out well, but he risked his and his fiancÈs lives without having anything to back it up with. It’s more likely that the suspect HAD a weapon than didn’t have a weapon. I am always on the side of people standing up to take back their cities and neighborhoods, but you have to be smart and not risk innocent lives in the process.

Next time you are going to defend your business, home, or loved ones with a weapon, make sure it can operate without you screaming “BANG BANG”. I’m not sure he realizes just how lucky he was.”

I fully stand by my comments, but I also recently ranted about poeple NOT standing up to help ones neighbor or even a bystander. There was the case of a subway rider getting attacked by a man with a hammer a few weeks ago. The entire attack went on for some time, and bystanders either scattered or filmed it with thier cell phones….nice.

Again, I applaud the Karate guys feeling of community service and responsibility and I’m glad the bad guy was caught. Everyone should have such feelings, just don’t let feelings get in the way of judgement.

jburtonpdx

quote tinykrav:

While I shouldn’t attempt to speak for my instructors I did have one tell me (while I was working with another female partner) he strongly recommended we not try and detain someone. I believe his words were something along the lines of “crush his knee cap, kick the sh*t out of him and then run.”

Heh heh heh

I love this stuff so much……
    This has to qualify as one of the quotes that a bunch of you keep in your sig lines….

tinykrav

quote :

This has to qualify as one of the quotes that a bunch of you keep in your sig lines….

heh. And what makes it even more fun is this particular instructor is Italian and has an accent and when I play it back in my head it still has the accent.

The funny thing is, often times something that any one of the instructors said sticks in my head pretty vividly. I carry them all around in my head,

“Go break sh*t!”

“After you pull your hand out of the goop that is now his face…”

Promise me you’ll keek the sheet out of him, okay?” I promise! I promise!

I guess that’s why it’s so much fun, eh?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: