• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 18 years ago by g-v.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    velibor

Hi, im am new to KM and I really want to find out if KM is more affective than Karate. My dad loves karate and always wanted me to join it but i really like KM and I want to know if KM is more affective in a real life fight. Thanks.

Velibor

g-v

Re: Karate vs KM

Depends on which kind of karate.

This kind would be pretty effective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjGQk-k2ZA&search=%20juku

sunnysd

damn

daki

Honest answer: it depends.

Karate /can/ be more form-based and static with focus on strikes. Krav Maga is typically an overall fighting style that, in my opinion, is more applicable to real combat.

In regards to the video: I’m dying to know what song that is playing.

njl

quote \”G.V.\:

This kind would be pretty effective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjGQk-k2ZA&search=%20juku

you’re youtube finds have been bad ass! 😀

kravjeff

With the exception of very little Karate experience as a kid, I have only trained in Krav. From what I’ve learned on this, and other forums the best system is the \”one that works for you.\” That can be a prtty vague statement for someone who hasn’t tried multiple disciplines, but it clearly has merit.

I chose Krav for a couple of reasons: One is teaching / learning style – Having no experience (with the exception of several \”sloppy\” street fights in my younger years), Krav made me a better \”fighter\” after my first week – It’s a practical, easy to use, effective system that can be learned relatively quickly as compared with other systems. That, coupled with no traditional \”kata\” etc … Krav was clearly a better choice for me. I’ve also larned on this, and other forums, as well as during discussion with people who do have other traditional martial arts backgrounds that Krav is a superior \”street fighting\” system. One person, a black belt in karate, told me that in years of being involved in altercations in nightclubs (he worked in them) he was never able to utilize his Karate training – However, had he known Krav at the time, it would have been perfectly applicable in many situations he was involved in.

$0.02
    8)

vicious

i find that it depends on which location. Your success is largely dependent on how \”good\” your instructor is no matter what the system. All the combatives and some similar techniques can be found in any striking system (obviously generalizing, but you know what i mean… an elbow is an elbow, punches, knees, low kicks, head butts are similar… its the TRAINING methods that make Krav fing awesome. The drills that make you FEEL like your in a fight. The instructors who are given tools to make you capable of fighting back, when you don’t want to, after you’ve been snuck…

with that said i find Krav Maga’s unique techniques work better for me than any other system, exspecially in the light of \”can i perform them under stress without needing to train 6 times a week\”

swornenemy

I second that great find. I had never actually seen Daido Juku before, only heard of it.

Very well rounded. This ain’t big brother’s TKD. These guys look like they get hurt a lot.

Ouch!

(was that a Haiku?)

clfmak

Excellent comments- its more about the training methods than the style. Krav has some of the most realistic training methods for self defense.

As far as karate styles go- there are two main branches- shuri and naha. Shuri is known for its development of hard linear attacks- think of breaking demonstrations. There is training on punching boards and sometimes sand bags to develop solid linear technique. The idea of \”knockdown karate\” comes from this branch. This branch split into branches like Shotokan and Kyokushin. Some of the best fighters I’ve met were kyokushin folks because of the training methods. The other branch, naha, represents the older Chinese kung fu methods in Okinawan karate- they were not altered as much as the shuri branch- there wasn’t the same emphasis on streamlining karate into developing hard knockdown strikes. There was more emphasis on combination striking, pressure points, and joint locks. There is also emphasis on sanchin kata- breathing exercise type stuff that develops the ability to have sticks and stuff broken on you. For self defense/fighting, there should be an emphasis on live training and solid fundamentals.

\”One person, a black belt in karate, told me that in years of being involved in altercations in nightclubs (he worked in them) he was never able to utilize his Karate training – However, had he known Krav at the time, it would have been perfectly applicable in many situations he was involved in.\” This is interesting. For the most part, the techniques of karate are stylized krav techniques. Often working in a nightclub wouldn’t warrant either one- something like jujutsu or chin na standup grappling fills in the gap better than a striking skill set.

clfmak

That video had some interesting headbutts in it- I don’t know if thats such a good idea without those helmets.

g-v

quote \”njl\:

quote \”G.V.\:

you’re youtube finds have been bad ass! 😀

Naw, I chalk this one up to Emil. He posted it in another thread.

anonymous

Cool video. It almost didn’t look like Karate at all, more like a regular MMA competition, except for those gis. Anyway, I had no idea Karate had the potential of being so exciting! 😉

I took about two months worth of Karate lessons before I discovered the NTC and never looked back. The first place was pretty cheesy, a mix of old, Russian ladies and six-year-old black belts.

The second place was a lot better, we learned punches and roundkicks etc, but also a very rigid fighting stance, with the arms down and to the side. I never saw any weapons defenses being done in that place. That’s what attracted me to the NTC the most, the idea of not only learning self-defense against unarmed attackers, but also against armed ones. In fact, the first thing I saw when I came to check out the place was a bunch of people doing shotgun drills. I was sold right there and then! 8)

noonian

Imagine…..

…a Judoka fighting an opponent without a Gi
    …a Karateka fighting someone who actually fights back
    …a Tae-Kwon-Doka fighting in a confined tiny room

…now THAT would be fun!! 😉

So far I think we can’t complain about Krav: The system tries to take a lot into consideration so that you should be able to deal with situations that are not advantageous for you.
    Krav-people might have a problem if the opponent knows what he is doing in terms of throws and ground work, but then: until he is close enough to throw you, you could’ve kicked him to the groin a long time ago. Or kneed him. Or punched him. 😉

PS: Now, WHO knows what the song is called in that video??? Someone?? Anyone??

anonymous

Maybe it’s a Japanese rock band or something.

emil

GV, Ya videl daido juku demo v Moskve, v ’04, na Novogodnem Baly.Popitalsa ih sprosit, no oni ne hoteli so mnoi razgovarivat.

According to a youtube poster the music is from a russian metal group Samael.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: