Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    sunstar

I would like to get opinions on something I have been trying lately to evade kicks. From the left outlet stance (left leg forward) as my opponent kicks (either round or front) I simply take a step back with my left foot so as to end up in a right outlet stance. The idea being that the distance created limits most of the contact from the round kick and causes a front kick to miss. Of course you need the reaction time to take the step.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks.:abx:

Re: Kick evasion

Can you fight (well) In the opposite stance you would land in? If not I would say getting into a stance you cannot fight in is not a good idea. Second Krav doesn’t generally advocate moving backwards out of the fight. If you’re cage fighting or sparring that’s one thing, you can play with an opponent there, but in a street fight backing out means you cannot counter-attack because if they are out of range most likely so are you.

hartez

My first instinct is that it would also limit your ability to counterattack (since by definition you’ve put yourself out of kick range). And the consequences of misjudging the distance might be a kick to the ribs/leg/groin.

I suppose you might gain an advantage if they totally whiff a round kick (you might even end up behind the attacker), but for the missed front kick I think you’d just end up even.

sunstar

Thanks for the replies. Any suggestions for defending kicks would be appreciated. My shins are going on strike otherwise 🙂

Thanks.

When fighting a kicker (or just defending against kicks) one of the best pieces of advice I got was this: if you see them lift there leg throw a cross. The concept is your hands should always be faster and if one leg is in the air even a blocked punch should knock them off there balance. Of course if they’re throwing kicks from 8 feet away and jumping in you should be able to see it coming in order to counter with either your own kick or punch.

Are you shins hurting because of checking the kicks (raising your leg to block outside round kicks), or by turning your knee in to block a low inside round kick?

sunstar

For groin kicks I have been lifting the lead leg across my centerline. For round kicks I have been lifting my lead leg straigt up (trying to get it to where my elbows are in a normal fighting stance). One problem for me is getting that knee high enough to create the “wall” for round kicks and I am worried about dropping my elbows (and thus my arms) to meet my elbow.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for the help guys.

For checking groin kicks try making your front leg movement like you’re throwing a strong left hook. Bending the knee will blade your body (protecting the groin) and after the kicker strikes your knee a time or two it will be hurting them more then you. You may want to lean into this so you don’t catch the attackers tow. I’m thinking of somebody who doesn’t know how to kick or has steel toe boots on.

For the round kicks if getting the leg up high enough is a problem keep the leg on the ground and put weight on it (flexing the hamstring) and create a strong 2 or 3 point block with your arms. If the kicker strikes the leg you should be able to absorb it and your arms should protect a rib or head shot. Remember the best time to counter a kick is while the attacker is recoiling from there kick. So block with the intension of countering.

sunstar

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

clfmak

when you spar and practice these things, do you allow kick catches? When we started doing this and getting good at the techniques, kicking became more reserved, since you could potentially get thrown. Before that, the general idea was to always redirect kicks to the outside, so they couldn’t step down with punches and you end up slightly behind them. This also works well and is a useful skill if you are interested in self defense. IMO a good kick defense puts you in a good position to counterattack, and this isn’t necessarily the case if you just step back to the opposite stance.

sunstar

I see what you are saying regarding being in a position to counter. What about simply stepping off to the dead side? That is if the kick is with the right foot, you step off to the right. A front kick would likely miss and the force of the round kick would be dispersed.

clfmak

If you’re just sidestepping without blocking, it will usually have to be sideways and also forward at the same time, and its kinda difficult to time things right to end up behind someone who kicks fast. Basically I think of moving forward and outside or backward and inside (this is how I move if I plan on countering with my front leg front kick to the midsection). Attacking the torso in sparring or the groin in self defense.

sunstar

quote CLFMak:

If you’re just sidestepping without blocking, it will usually have to be sideways and also forward at the same time, and its kinda difficult to time things right to end up behind someone who kicks fast. Basically I think of moving forward and outside or backward and inside (this is how I move if I plan on countering with my front leg front kick to the midsection). Attacking the torso in sparring or the groin in self defense.

I can’t see myself getting the footwork to move either outside and up or back and inside. I think I am sticking with lifting my leg for groin kicks. I did see something done which I have yet to try. On groin kicks, pary with front leg and once you’ve set the front leg down, groin kick using the back leg. For round kicks, defend and simultaneously use the back leg to groin kick.

clfmak

The backwards or forwards at oblique angles is pretty standard in the Filipino arts and works very well in evading weapon attacks while being in range to counterattack. I’ve done lots of repetitive drilling of developing the triangular footwork, so it’s not too much work for me to do this when defending kicks. Strategies for training and fighting with this can be seen in the Dog Brothers DVD Kali Tudo volume 1.

phlegmon27

The defense you describe works well vs a round kick. When the right round kick comes, step your left leg back like you described. Then immediately send a left medium round kick to their ribs/kidney area. Try it out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: