Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    cmetalman

In Krav sparring are you throwing kicks to the head often, and would this give you the false confidence to use high head kicks out on the street? I personally like to throw roundhouse kicks to Bob’s head but out on the street I’ll stick to kicking the groin, thighs, knees ,or ankles for a sweep .oh yeah and throwing the knees, beyound that I’ll keep my feet on the ground.

stevetuna

Re: kick in the head!

If I attempt to block any more round kicks by dropping my left arm like I did repeatedly tonight, then I’m going to find out all about the high round kick sooner or later…

Someone in Krav Maga told me that it’s fine to kick someone in the head – provided that you’d knocked them to the ground first.

It’s a high risk / high reward move. Not a great bet in a street situation, in my opinion.

guerriere

Why kick someone in the head and risk getting grabbed at the knee when you could deliver a devastating kick to the knee and cripple the person for life?

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Can I kick to the head? Sure all day long. Is it “fun” to play around with during light sparring with friends? Absolutely!

Would I teach it in fight class? Never happen.

Legs are a way to get from point A to B and close the gap as a long range tool. If I’m close enough to kick someone in the head then I have a whole bunch of mid range tools still in the box waiting to be used.

But thats JMHO, I could be wrong.

jjbklb

The days of being flexable enough to kick someone in the head are long past,unless they’re a munchkin.

A kick to the head seems sort of show boaty for Krav. Why bother, when there are so many other more devastating, and decisive, moves you can do to the lower extremities? Seems like a lot of wasted effort, IMO.

jay99

quote stevetuna:

Someone in Krav Maga told me that it’s fine to kick someone in the head – provided that you’d knocked them to the ground first.

I have heard the same thing and absolutely agree. If you just have to kick someone in the head than why make it difficult. Kick them in the groin once or twice so they are at that perfect mid to low round kick height… that way you get your kick to the head in and don’t risk pulling a muscle. Win Win in my book.

giant-killer

Kicks to the head in fight class are fine, just for variety, although I REALLY have to get close to try to reach the heads of some people. :Unsure:

In a real fight, I’d rather kick to the groin, if necessary follow up with a punch or elbow, then run. High kicks are easier to see, easier to defend and I’d be on one leg in front of this 200+ pound machine. Not good.

I think there are times that you can use a high kick effectively and SOMEWHAT safely, but only if you are dominating the fight and really want to make an impression. Then again, risk vs reward. If I’m dominating a fight enough to use any kind of high kick, I’m just going to get myself in close and start making that bastard regret the point when he even thought about thinking about messing with me.

Maybe someone with an exstensive MT background would think differently?

J-

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Asked and answered buddy. I wouldn’t do it.

But your welcome to ask Marcus, Junior or Jeanine their opinion of my MT kicks LOL.

Haha.. Sorry Sean… I totaly forgot about your background!

J-

kravmdjeff

It’s all about whether you can use them effectively. The people who have thus commented already obviously wouldn’t want to use them because the training isn’t there. However, for certain folks it can be a viable weapon. I don’t teach it in fight class b/c it’s not really a good option for most of my students, but i can throw a round kick to the head as easily as to the thigh. So, I use it, but only conditionally:

1) I have to KNOW that the distance and the timing is right
    2) I use it for intimidation purposes (to keep people away from me by showing a longer range for head shots)
    3) I’ve trained a LOT in setting it up with hands or other low kicks. I never use it in a vacuum.

Still, with this considered, I know people who would never advocate a good head kick. My opinion is that if it works, use it…but be realistic about it’s limitations.

Good points, Jeff.

cmetalman

KravMDjeff, are you talking about using head shot kicks in sparring or real life situations, you know as a self-defense tool? My thought was, “practicing high kicks in sparring” would it make you more likely to try it out on the street where it could get you really hurt or killed? I’ve never done any martial arts before Krav so I’m asking as someone with a self-defense mindset.

leejam99

i think everyone is forgetting that in order for you to truly learn how to defend your self from something, you need to know how to do it also.

would i do it in a real life situation…probably not. should everyone train how to do it and how to defend it..YES.

James

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: