Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone,

I may be opening a big can of debate here, but I need some input. Like most program KM schools, we have a kids program in which the the kids are required earn rank. I know, so far no different than most.

However, in the “self defenses” we incorporate strategies to help kids escape potential kidnappings and such – again maybe no different than most….

Nothing complicated, just basic Krav strategies of attacking any available vulnerable point so they can get away. We emphasize that they MUST not try to stay and “punish” the bad guy. [This is not the Little Ninja movies, it’s reality; do what you have to to get the bad guy to let go and then RUN! We also use simple instructions like who to run to, how to get public attention, how to delay the “bad guy” so maybe he gives up because it’s not easy enough, how to avoid some potentially bad situations and so on.] Of course we realize it may or may not be successful, but there are no guarantees either way. BUT, stats say kids who do something to try and escape are MUCH more likely to do so, duh. Kids who do nothing, have near zero chance to escape, again duh.

I’d go into more, but I think you get the point, and I am avoiding getting graphic. We have received some flack of late, and I thought I could see what others in here think for consensus.

Thanks in advance!! thumbsup

CC

kevin-mack

Re: Kids in Krav Maga

some of the KM black belt techniques are better suited for kids in my opinion

ryan

Some of the KM black belt techniques are better suited for TKD.

kevin-mack

I was refering to the punch defenses that end with osot-gari and de ashi barai. Those defenses are muc better suited for kids in the schoolyard then what we teach to adults

I guess what I am looking for is opinions of what we are doing. The flack I am getting is over the idea of kids fighting back period. We don’t promote kids to BB, so for us that isn’t an issue.

CC

kevin-mack

you can teach “black belt” techniques without promoting them to black belt. The techs I mentioned involve defending punchs and knocking your opponent to the ground which is easier for parents to stomach.Eeven the bearf hug and side choke variations are better for kids

don

quote Cottonwood-Combat:

I guess what I am looking for is opinions of what we are doing. The flack I am getting is over the idea of kids fighting back period. We don’t promote kids to BB, so for us that isn’t an issue.

CC

What is “BB”?

Sounds kind of strange that the parents would be willing to put in the time, effort, and money to have their kids learn KM if they don’t want the kids to use the KM they are learning. Why did they enroll in the first place (rhetorical)?

From a strictly business standpoint, the opinions that matter are those of your clients. To keep their business, you either have to teach what/how they would like you to teach, which may be different than what you’d like, OR you can try to change their opinions and have them “see the light” of your viewpoint (or compromise somewhere in between).

Or are you getting flak from another direction?

I am not with KMWW, but I am familiar with the curriculum. So I think I follow. We start with similar applications. Thanks for helping.

kevin-mack

I am not with KMWW either..I use the original curriculum which matches up in most places with the KMWW one.

Osoto gari and o goshi are part of our yellow belt curriculum. I am glad you mentioned it. For kids against adults, those are a bit too tough in my opinion. So we employ other methodologies.

CC

Hi Don,

Fortunately the flack is coming from outside. The parents LOVE it. I am only concerned a little as we have worked hard to develop our professional image. Sorry I missed your post earlier…. I am using my Blackberry and it’s tough seeing everything.

CC

Don,

Sorry, but I missed part or your post….by “BB” I just meant Black Belt.

Tim

stevetuna

IMNSHO, my responsibility as an instructor is to prepare those I train for reality-based self-defense, be they adults, police officers (some of whom who are adults) and children.

Anything less is unacceptable.

I talk to parents to make sure that we’re pretty much on the same page concerning their response to their child being taught that noone has the right to hurt them. I have not had any negative response to this approach.

We don’t teach or create bullies. Sure, we’ve had a few come in – they don’t last long. I believe that as long as my instructors and I stay true to a solid set of core beliefs, then we’re doing great things for our community.

Hi Steve,

I agree whole-heartedly. Thanks for your input. In a nutshell, there have just been some critics lately who think by teaching children to fight a kidnapper, we are setting them up for certain failure and increased violence from the predator. While this could happen, stats show kids who fight back generally escape. I plan to stick to my guns, but need a strategy to help overcome any potential damage to our professional image/reputation.

CC

kirsten

Tim,

You sound like you are on the right track. Don’t let them poo poo you. It is a known FACT that when a person is moved to a second location, they are as good as dead. You are doing a great thing!

Some of the techniques may be difficult for some students to perform, but they are important to know. It allows us to learn how to defend against them. Like KM’s spinning hook. While I have never seen anyone in KM actually use it and we as instructors would certainly not advocate the use of it, it is very important to learn how to defend against it. We all know CJ’sDad spinning flying ax kick, I may have to defend myself against it one day… LOL

So teach them what you feel is important and empower them to fight back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: