Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I have been talking to a TON of old friends over the last day or two. After updating them on Mom and new baby they usually want to know what I’m up to. Krav Maga seems to be the thing that interests most of them (probably because everything else, like my lack of a job after graduation, is depressing).

One friend asked, “Is that the one where they teach you how to deal with everything like knife attacks, attack dogs, and guns to the head?”

Attack Dogs?

I can imagine a world in which some special ops guys might need to know how to defeat an attack dog but most of the people I know are the ones sending the dogs to attack.

Is there any such thing in Krav or any other martial art that you know of?

vwr32

Re: KM and Dogs

Oh yeah, it’s real. Once you’ve trained your dog how to do krav, he’ll be much better against non-krav dogs (and people). You can’t really learn how to defend against dog attacks unless you have them go thru drills with you.

To illustrate, here’s my dog doing a “double front leg takedown” against a non-krav trained dog. In the dog world you have to differentiate between front and rear legs… it’s a slight inconvenience to make the adjustment.

Notice during the defense that my dog correctly anchors to the far leg as his momentum comes in over the attacking dog’s opposite shoulder. This results in my dog properly achieving the front mounted position (again, you have to differentiate terminology because a “rear mounted” position in the dog world means something completely different).

Hope this helps.

d-rex

Present the dog something to attack, bite and hold on to. A stick, bag, jacket or your weak arm if need be. The dog will attempt to hold on to whatever is in its mouth, it is the dog’s instinct to do this. Use your free arm to stab, hit with whatever weapon you have or crush the dog’s windpipe.
    D

quote vwr32:

Oh yeah, it’s real. Once you’ve trained your dog how to do krav, he’ll be much better against non-krav dogs (and people).

Hmmm… This presents another question…

In Krav Maga we do a whole lot of kicking, punching, etc, to the nutz… What do we do about those dogs who have been neutered?

And is there a whole other world of tail vs. no tail defensive techniques?

russell

didn’t you read the last chapter of the jumping flying spinning axe kick to the head book? you are supposed to carry some uncooked steak coated in poison with you at all times! just in case!

giant-killer

There was anotheer thread about fighting dogs a while back. Had some good advise.

mara-jade

quote russell:

didn’t you read the last chapter of the jumping flying spinning axe kick to the head book? you are supposed to carry some uncooked steak coated in poison with you at all times! just in case!

Kill a puppy!??? NNOOOOO..

ryan

Are we talking about a random stray or a dog trained to attack?

vwr32

quote DirtyHippieUte:

Hmmm… This presents another question…

In Krav Maga we do a whole lot of kicking, punching, etc, to the nutz… What do we do about those dogs who have been neutered?

And is there a whole other world of tail vs. no tail defensive techniques?

They teach a lot of that kind of stuff in CKM (canine krav maga).

I’m addressing the scenario where the dog is attacking, but isn’t being used as a weapon by an attacker who is standing there. IE, someone’s dog gets out and you happen to be walking by the house.

So much has to to with the number of dogs, size, and what’s at your disposal. I think the biggest mistake people make when a dog comes at you is to turn and try to run. You’ll never make it.

If there is only one dog, I’ve had good luck in not turning my back and keeping something between me and the dog. Preferably something it can bite and feel like it’s doing some damage to you. If you’re quick enough and nothing is around, maybe your shoe would work long enough where you could enter a nearby doorway or safe location. It’s instinct to hold your arm out to block the dog, having something in my hand has saved me from being bit on a number of occasions.

Then there are times where I simply didn’t have time to react. I had one latch onto my arm (big dog, retriever/pit mix). The heavy winter bomber jacket I was wearing at the time did nothing to stop the teeth. Luckily for me, the owner of the dog was present when all that happened and was able to get the dog off me before any real damage (other than a few punctures) happened.

Then I had two come at me another time. I was doing good in keeping something between me and the dogs, but it was too much. I couldn’t keep both of them in front of me and one snuck in and took a bite out of the back of my leg. The saving grace here was probably that they weren’t truly trained attack dogs. In this case, it pissed me off once I was bit and I went from defensive to offensive. They responded by retreating when I advanced, so I used that to make it to safety.

Dogs are more dangerous than people think imo. I always had this idea I could do this, or do that, punch it or kick it, hurt it mid-flight as it was lunging at me etc. But it just didn’t happen that way. Ouch, dog bites hurt too lol. If it’s me, treat them like any other attacker. If there’s one, there might be another. One bite is better than two, two is better than three etc. But standing there fighting it is probably not the best option. They’re more resilient than people assume. I’ve heard stories of people beating pitbulls with 2×4’s when trying to get them to let go of something… and not succeeding. Get to safety.

Edit: Just saw your post. This has been my experience exactly.

quote D-Rex:

Present the dog something to attack, bite and hold on to. A stick, bag, jacket or your weak arm if need be. The dog will attempt to hold on to whatever is in its mouth, it is the dog’s instinct to do this.
    kmcat

There was an article in Black Belt magazine within the last 6 months that talked about just this subject. They talked to some police dog trainers and had some interesting discussions about techniques.

Against one dog there were some strategies and techinques that looked like they could help. Against more than one dog your chances are pretty grim.

bradm

“They teach a lot of that kind of stuff in CKM (canine krav maga).”

There you go slamming CKM again. Can’t you guys give it a rest? Defending against dog attacks is a good topic, let’s keep it on track.

vwr32

quote BradM:

There you go slamming CKM again. Can’t you guys give it a rest? Defending against dog attacks is a good topic, let’s keep it on track.

I have yet to “slam” CKM. It was just a play on words given the topic and in response to the post before it. Sorry if it didn’t set well with you. Hopefully the rest of my response was ok.

gp

quote BradM:

You mean you haven’t seen this thread? http://kmforum.kravmaga.com/showthread.php?t=2674

There is a sense of humor on this forum which makes it fun to read even when the topic is a serious one.

bradm

“Hopefully the rest of my response was ok.”

It was. And very interesting and informative. Thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: