Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics KM and the older (and smaller) student

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    magpie

I enjoy my KM classes, but am wondering if it’s the right self-defense training for me. I am 49 and only 5’3″, 110 lbs. I think I do pretty well for my age and size in class, but frequently get knocked around a bit because it seems most of my training partners are younger, bigger and stronger.

I realize that out on the streets, the chances that an attacker will be younger, bigger and stronger than me are very high, so maybe it’s a good thing to train with people like this, but I’ve listened to friends who train in other MA styles and it seems like most of them don’t endure the physical abuse that I do.

OK, I’m done whining. But perhaps some of my fellow Kravists can reality-check me on this???:Surprised:

don

Re: KM and the older (and smaller) student

IMO, depends on Why you’re training – what are your goals? Are you trying to accomplish something or prepare for something or ?

IF your (you in general) training is supposed to help you survive an attacker out on the streets (or something else realistic self-defense related), then IMO you SHOULD be getting “knocked around a bit”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWjcIIzdlqg (at 1:01, the male cop gets cracked in the face/jaw – how he reacts is definitely NOT a good trained response)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAZhAWi6zSI (primarily from 1:10 on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0da6MFNRhCs (fight starts at 4:00)

Even if you’re training for SPORT – the first time you endure “physical abuse” had better NOT be after you step into the ring against someone who is really trying to put you to sleep (one way or another). You should have already experienced it during training…

Could be worse, it could be raining…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CELN-DQI5qc

kmyoshi

If you’re training for self defense purposes, it is best to train from a position of disadvantage, and this would be training with bigger, stronger, faster people. It’s possible that someone smaller than you could attack you, but the chances of someone much bigger than you attacking you are much higher, because they’re usually looking for an easier target/someone they can beat up on. You need to train with those types of people so you can get use to how it feels like taking hits from them. As Don said, you don’t want the first time experiencing that to be on the street, in a real confrontation. I am usually the smallest male in class. I’m 5’6″, 120 lbs just for reference…

magpie

Excellent points, guys. Thanks for the reality check.

jjbklb

Certain things I won’t do in fitness component.Specifically,running from one end of the room to the other with a partner on my back.

I’m prone to lower back strain.The gain in fitness that I’d get from that exercise,I’d lose three fold by getting laid up for 1 1/2 weeks till I can function again.

Train as hard and seriously and aggressively as you can while also being as smart as you can. The point is not to get hurt, on the streets or in the gym. I spent a pretty frustrating fall nursing a torn calf (Grade 2 strain). I was supposed to be out a month and it’s been more like 2-3 with setbacks and building the muscle back up. What I learned is that if you get hurt, don’t expect to come back 100% after the doctor’s estimated recovery time elapses, especially if you’re not 25 anymore. But I digress.

Point is, be proactive about your training. Don’t malinger or mentally take yourself out of the game, just be smart. If you’re smaller/older/injured, be a little more careful and pick your spots in terms of being physically relentless. Be up front with yourself and your training partners and your instructors about what’s going on with your body and you’ll be fine.

Trust you’ll be able to find the proper balance between your fears/limits/mental obstacles and actual physical considerations.

ntng

56 yo. Had most of a lung removed 5 yrs ago due to cancer. Started attending Krav classes a little over a year ago. Sure, I get winded easier than other, but I push on. I just recently passed my yellow belt test. I agree with Metta, “train smart, let your partner and instructors know whats going on. Trust you’ll be able to find the proper balance between your fears/limits/mental obstacles and actual physical considerations is the best advice you could get! “

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: