Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hi Guys,

I am very interested in starting Krav Maga but I have some concerns I would like to raise and a few questions:

1. I’m 24 weigh about 15 stone (Fat not muscle mainly) I am trying to loose weight (without success)

2. I have a terrible diet I know this and am trying to change but I am finding it very difficult.

I have tried “weight watchers and other diets” but I don’t have the time or the dedication really to make a note of every single thing I eat and add up points etc drives me insane.

3. I want to do KM 2x per week I currently to next to no other exercise.

I also don’t have the time/money to join a gym and exercise 6 day a week.

So my question are really am I too unfit to start KM?

What else can I do to improve weight loss and general fitness?

I like riding my bike (MTB) so perhaps riding on the days I don’t go to KM would be enough ?

Do you know of a easy diet/eating plan to follow would prefer eat X this X that day than as I say having to make notes about everything etc.

I know from this I probably sound like a lazy slob and tbh I am and that’s what I am trying to change.

pinkgloves

Re: KM and Weight loss

LV,

It’s great that you want to start training Krav Maga and getting yourself in better shape. You asked for dieting advice, but I’m afraid I cannot give this to you. Rather than try a diet plan, why not just eat healthier? I have an incredibly large sweet tooth, and I do love my junk food. There is no way I’d give it up, but I do eat it in moderation. The age old rule of eating right and exercising serve you better than hoping from diet plan to diet plan.

I firmly believe that no one is too unfit to start changing their habits. Will you tire faster than someone who is already in shape? Probably so. Will you need to take breaks or work at a slower pace? Probably so. However, with time and consistent training (be it in Krav or anything else) your stamina will improve.

Best of luck to you both with your training and your quest to become healthier. :):

bear34

http://gizmodo.com/5709913/4+hour-body-+-the-slow+carb-diet

I lost over 10% of my body weight(almost all belly fat) in just under 3 months. The lost weight has lowered my cholestrol and stopped most of my snoring. Having the splurge day makes it pretty easy. Several of my friends liked my results and ended up doing well on it themselves.

Some good choices and a little determination will get you there.

Good luck.thumbsup

t-krav

There is no point NOT starting right away. Congratulations on seriously considering doing it – now just go ahead and jump in.

Everyone has to begin at their own baseline and you’ll probably find plenty of folks in your clases that where in a simliar situation to yours.

Regarding nutrition. Do you have a smartphone? If you do checkout the free app called myfitnesspal . Its the absolute easiest way to monitor your food intake. It uses the camera to scan bar codes and instantly add the details to your food journal. Its as fast as the scanner at a grocery store.

My simplistic advice is this:
    1. Jump into class ASAP.
    2. Start monitoring your food intake and macro nutrient profile with more calories coming from Protein than Carbs and Fat. Limite sugar as much as possible by replacing sugary foods w/alternates (sugar free jellow, stevia instead of sugar, etc.)
    3. To loose weight you have to get to a caloric deficit. Burn more calories than you take in. myfitness pal or thedailyplate.com can help you with that.
    4. Try this for 14 days and see how you feel and look.

Thanks for your advice guys I will try the slow carb diet you suggested bear.

Defo going to the class next week! Got to start somewhere!

That smart phone app sounds good I can deal with scanning an items just not algebraic equations of protien x1.5 vitamins = fat burn haha

Will let you know how I get on 🙂

I try to stick with a relaxed version of paleo. 1/3 of your plate is vegetable, another 1/3 is vegetable 2, and the last is either a fruit or lean meat.

unstpabl1

Though when your 24 diet is easier but this is the ultimate truth…losing weight is caused by creating a calorie deficit. Exercise helps create a deficit by burning calories. However, if you restrict calories you will lose weight whether you exercise or not. So the ultimate truth is you caN’T OUTWORK A BAD DIET

I think if you type that last phrase on youtube there is a dempo of that concept. I’m too lazy to look it up but if you don’t find the vid with a guy eatind pizza while a guy runs on a treadmill i’ll find it for ya

seraphs-coal

Diet – Essentially less Calories in = weight loss, the most a male burns during a day is 3000-3500 cals per day. Keep your intake under that and you will lose weight. One KG of Fat = 3000 Calories, One Pound is around 1500 Calories, that is how much less you have to consume in a week to lose a Kg or a Pound to lose a kg or a pound of fat each week.

Eat Three square meals a day, cut the high calorie stuff like high fat and sugar, I use a breakfast drink made by Sanitarium called “Up and Go” which works very well for a low calorie but filling breakfast. I snack on Air Popped Popcorn and Diet Coke. The Air Popper is around $30 and the popcorn kernals a $1 or so and I lose between 1-2kg per week.

Excersize on a budget, – hit eBay or the Library and get yourself a Billy Blanks Tae-Bo workout DVD. Do the Tae-Bo as it is and it will strip away no shortage of weight and train you at the same intensity as Krav. Once you have some understanding of the standard Krav stances and moves, adapt the Krav stances to the Tae-Bo workouts accordingly. Its brutally effective and has several areas in common with the stances and kicks, blocks and punches we do at Krav and is easily modified to suit a Krav workout and training practice.

Your advantage is that you have admitted where the problems lie, give Krav a go and you wont be disappointed, its one heck of a motivation tool!

eilson

Diet and exercise both are important tools for losing weight. It is important to do exercise daily and eat well and balanced diet food. Water helps in fat burning so we should drink maximum quantity of water in a day. There are lot of exercises but running is best for weight lose.

mofofunk

Hi,

Just thought I’d throw my 10 pence worth in here. I am in a similar situation LondonVillan. I am 28 and 18+ stone, do no regular exercise and eat way too much junk. I went for my Krav induction on Saturday, the really unfortunate thing was, i twisted my ankle after 10 mins. I have ALWAYS had trouble with my ankles, so it was no surprise. Carried on regardless as the adrenalin numbed the pain, but i felt it once I got outside lol. So i am going along to class tonight, even if its just to sit and take it in, I am determined and really want to get on with it.

I too had doubts about joining because of my current lack of physical fitness, I thought I’d be right out of place, but there was another lad on the induction a bit overweight too. I think people in our position deserve a bit of credit for having the balls to get down there and at least have a go at doing something about it….?

My reason for taking up Krav is because I too want to loose weight and gain more confidence; a gym was never going to work for me, nor am i capable of sticking to diets! My wife is also a bit out of shape, so i have joined with her. Granted, by the time the induction was over i looked like I’d just had a shower, was as red as a beetroot and i’m aching still today…..but this is a real incentive for me, i feel like i got something out of doing Krav. We was really buzzing when we came out and couldn’t stop talking about how much we enjoyed it 🙂 I’m going to check my weight tonight and then see how I’m doing after a couple of months, i expect to see some improvements.

I just can’t wait to get there tonight to see if I can do anything on my bad ankle, even if its static strikes! I just can’t wait to get going full force with it.

Jump right in mate, I think It’ll be a blast!

Cheers

Mofo

bradmm

quote Eilson:

Diet and exercise both are important tools for losing weight. It is important to do exercise daily and eat well and balanced diet food. Water helps in fat burning so we should drink maximum quantity of water in a day. There are lot of exercises but running is best for weight lose.

Not to get off topic but I would not say generically that running is best for weight loss. A lot depends on the individual. Running is certainly an efficient way to burn calories but, depending on how over weight a person is, running could be very damaging to the body, especially joints. It’s certainly one of the more SIMPLE forms of exercise… just get out and DO IT! Personally, I alternate swimming with kettlebells but both the former requires a pool and the latter equipment.

orange-age

I Had a big belly when I first started taking classes in Krav Maga. Many friends would say I looked “pregnant”. After about a month, much of the pregnant belly went away. Thanks to Krav Maga training. I have no special diet, but I try and eat plenty of green food. I feel better at my age now, I just try to keep it more balanced. Those Cross Fit and Bag Classes appear to be something that I want to try as i progress in The System. I need all the help I can get. Eat to Live and not to Die

odiosus

I am 6’3″ and about 215lbs. I was already in pretty decent shape when I started Krav Maga, but quick 4 months down the road and my cardio has increased tremendously and my body composition has changed a lot as well. Krav Maga is a great way to get in shape both mentally and physically.

One thing I have noticed, however, is the difference between level 1 classes and level 2 classes. Level 1 classes are very cardio intensive… nearly every single time. Level 2 classes seem to focus much less on the cardio workout and much more on the technique and precision of striking/movement/etc. Is this typical of all Krav Maga gyms?

garddawg

I am going to repeat something that has already been said but should be emphasized; You cannot outwork a bad diet. Body composition starts and ends with diet, so does your health.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: