Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics KM Level 1 Test Thought / Impressions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    doublestrike

Hi Everybody,

I recently took my KMWW Level #1 Test and I wanted to share my thoughts and impressions with the forum.

First and foremost, the exam was by far one of the most grueling and physically demanding things I’ve ever been through. I’ve run full marathons and and am an avid mountain climber, but this really takes the cake.

My test lasted a little over 6+ (six) hours. It started with a workshop in which we went through all of the Level #1 techniques full speed + power. My mistake (or misconception if you will) was that the workshop was the actual test – LOL. After the workshop ended, then the real exam started where we went through everything again at full speed + power. I started to get muscle spasms at hour 4 but I pressed on through it, yelling and grunting through the pain to continue w/ the technique at hand. After the exam finally finished, every muscle in my body ached.

Immediately after the test and up to today (and most likely forever), I feel a great sense of accomplishment and pride. I am glad that the KMWW tests are so difficult and demanding. Throughout my MA career, I’ve seen so many people advance simply based on either seniority, monetary promises, and/or nepotism. These McDojos churn out paper black belts that couldn’t fight their way out of a wet paper bag thus diluting a legitimate martial art, giving that particular style a bad name, and giving the person a dangerous false sense of security in their ability.

In my observation, by keeping the standards and integrity high with KMWW (at least at my school), this ensures a level of consistency and pride that is shared by the students and instructors. Simply put, you know that all of your fellow classmates also went through the grueling test(s). The closest analogy I can come up with is the USMC, where you will always have a bond w/ all other Marines.

Immediately after my exam, I honestly had doubts whether or not I passed. My reservations stemmed from the fact that I was completely gassed towards the very end, and I felt that I couldn’t deliver some techniques with full power + speed. After I few days, I received a personal phone call from the instructor or proctored the exam and said he had some bad news for me :Unsure:… he said that I will not be able to take the level one exam ever again…. wait, what? oh… HAHAHAHA.

So needless to say, I am elated that I passed my KMWW Level 1 test. My first Level 2 class is next week, which I look forward to with great zeal and anticipation.

Thanks for reading my post. Any thoughts, comments, and follow-ups will be greatly appreciated.

pinkgloves

Re: KM Level 1 Test Thought / Impressions

Congratulations!!! thumbsup

hoop

Congratulations.

I also recently took my Level 1, and I completely agree with your assessment. I have run marathons, Team Relays (Hood2Coast, Jasper to Banff, etc) and have seen a few glaciated peaks in my day….but none of those taxed me like my Level 1.

Ours started with a Kickbox/Fitness class, just to establish a baseline of exertion and exhaustion. This was followed by the clinic and finally the evaluation.

I was not prepared for the physical part of the experience. I had to fight back “bonking” about 4 hours in and, for the first time in my life, I experienced dehydration cramping in my legs (just in time for ground fighting!). Next time, I will implement a better eating/hydration strategy.

It was an amazing experience. I don’t have any results, yet. Except for the most important one….I finished and I am stronger for it.

hoop

quote DoubleStrike:

he said that I will not be able to take the level one exam ever again

Your instructor may be bluffing…..

The rest of our testing group (2,3,4,&5’s) all had to take the Level 1 test with us BEFORE taking their specific tests. So, 1-5 tested on Wednesday, 2-5 tested again on Thursday, and 4-5 finished on Sunday.

The Level 1 may be with you forever!

doublestrike

@PinkGloves
    – Thank you!

@Hoop
    – Thanks for your comments and sharing your experience(s). LOL, you have a great point in that the Level #1 test will be with me forever. But once I think about it, it would make sense for the next exams (2-5) to be cumulative. The one major point that caught me off guard was that I woefully underestimated the cardio aspect of the exam. But again, this method of testing is by far the most beneficial – your instructors need to prove / test that you can still correctly and effectively execute a technique even if you’re exhausted and under extreme duress.

I am reminded of a great saying from a past MA instructor of mine:

“When faced with and pressured by a worth adversary… rather than rise to your level of expectation, you will instead sink to your level of true ability.”

hoop

Last night, I received confirmation that I did, in fact, pass my Level 1.

I am 46, and it has been a very long time since I was this “excited about” and “proud of” a certificate. Very motivated.

pinkgloves

Congratulations to you to!! It is something to be proud of. 🙂

pdxvance42

Congratulations to both of you! I’ll never forget my Level One test and the feeling of accomplishment when I found out I passed. Be proud; you deserve it!

Train hard and stay safe!

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote hoop:

Last night, I received confirmation that I did, in fact, pass my Level 1.

I am 46, and it has been a very long time since I was this “excited about” and “proud of” a certificate. Very motivated.

Congratulations! I LOVE Lvl1 I still to this day take it all the time just to get my butt kicked. Took one earlier this week.

Not to mention I enjoy the look on the instructors face when they see me in line up to TAKE their class. Can never get enough review of the basics!

On to new challenges, enjoy Lvl2~

jacgue36

great job! Congrats!:woohoo:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: