Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    stddeviant

My intro lesson is the day after tomorrow!!

I am a 53 year old who has always wanted to learn something about self defense — well, always means since I was about 18. 35 years later, I am finally getting started by testing the waters.

I was mugged a 10 years ago in Paris…jumped by an Algerian cretin who was wielding pepper spray. Unfortunately for him, not enough of the OC got past my glasses. After a few swift kicks to the head he was done for the day.

Deep down inside I know I was very, very lucky. To say that I didn’t know what I was doing was an understatement. The cops said I was lucky to get away without getting sliced up. Apparently that’s what happens to most tourists who encounter these guys. So much for the “City of Love.”

Now a decade later I am under attack again! This time it’s a creeping waist line and rising cholesterol levels. Now 40 pounds over weight, and with a total cholesterol level that is about 40 points higher than it should be, I am looking to save myself from a silent killer.

Is Krav Maga for me? Well, I guess I’ll know in about 40 hours when I take my first lesson. I do know from my mugging in Paris, and another narrow escape in New York City, that self defense is more about escaping chaos than it is throwing a few made-for-TV moves. KM seems to recognize the realities of fending off attacks, while offering a structure that simplifies learning and provides motivation for advancement. At least that’s what I hope is the case.

I’ll know more after Thursday night. Wish me luck!!

mara-jade

Re: KM Newbie

Welcome to the forum:wav:

First off-stop worrying about not being in shape. There’s been plenty of us here who weren’t to begin with. Just be prepared to be winded, tired, etc in the beginning. Getting frustrated over it will be pointless-trust me on that one.

Only way to know if KM is ‘really for you’-let us know what you think after you take your first class:D:

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: