Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cyberidd

I’ll start with a bit of background. I’m a university student in Winnipeg, Canada where there are no Krav training facilities. Also, as a student I don’t have much in the way of disposable income, but I really want to start doing some kind of self defence/martial art. This leaves me with a couple options.

First, I have seen that there are Krav Maga video training programs (First Strike, The Best Defense, On The Edge, and Line of Fire are the ones I’ve seen available) that I may be able to convince people to give me considering the season, but my concern is that I won’t get a good enough sense of the techniques and how well/not well I’m doing them, and that it’ll be reasonably unsuccessful on the whole.

The other option is that my school offers discounts on school-run programs, so for $50 a term (about 3 months) I could train 1-2 times a week in Aikido, Judo, Kendo, Modern Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, or Wing Chun Do Gung Fu, most of which claim to have been adapted for practical self defence. My concern with these is that they may not be as effective in a real self-defence situation as KM.

So, what do you guys think, would it be more effective if I try to teach myself KM using the training videos, or is it better to just try a different system?

Thanks,
    Andrew.

hicklinc

Re: KM vids vs. other MA

i only found one location in canada regina sk

cyberidd

quote hicklinc:

i only found one location in canada regina sk

Unfortunately thats the closest location I’ve been able to find, although I’ve heard something about a location in BC as well. As much as I want to learn KM, I don’t really want to have to drive 14-16 hours a couple times a week to do it, haha. :(:

krujoe

Of those listed, I would recommend Judo. There’s nothing like being able to grab someone and place them on their ass. If they do Newaza it would be even better. My second choice would be Wing Chun Gung Fu.

maddogmean

If you’re looking for a dvd set, these feature some of the top Krav Maga instructors from different organizations. I haven’t used them, but it’s worth a look. You may want to look into doing some boxing if more practical martial arts aren’t available.

http://www.ultimatekravmaga.com/

tzrider

quote cyberidd:

So, what do you guys think, would it be more effective if I try to teach myself KM using the training videos, or is it better to just try a different system?

Andrew,

I don’t know if others will agree, but I think if you’re striving to become competent you’re probably best off training in a system that you can get instruction in. Watching DVD’s and shadow boxing seems to me a poor substitute for training with a live partner and having a real instructor make observations and corrections.

Krav is a great system, but being truly proficient in another MA probably trumps a DIY Krav program. If you’re attending university, you’ve got a lot of years ahead of you to learn Krav when you have access to a school. In the meantime, it sounds as if you have access to workable options that could leave you more fit and more capable than you are apt to become on your own.

ryan

I agree with Joe…

cyberidd

Wow, thanks for all the advice! I have been considering this problem for a few weeks now and your input is very much appreciated. I think that I’m going to go with the majority opinion on this one and try taking one of the classes, probably the Wing Chun Do Gung Fu since it appears to have the more legitimate program than the Judo being offered. From what I’ve read here and elsewhere KM seems to be spreading reasonably quickly so hopefully a place will open up here in the next couple years.

In the meantime, thanks again for your input!!
    Andrew

hicklinc

yeahi would suggest wing chun ive always been a fan

ubuwalker31

You could always try putting up a poster on campus and see if any other students would be willing to start up an unofficial club to train Krav Maga. If you can find at least one partner, split the cost and buy these books and the videos you mentioned. For drills, use the guide in the back of this book.

Additionally, you could also try contacting the campus Hillel (Jewish Student Organization) to see if they would be interested in (co)sponsoring an “Israeli Self-Defense” course in Krav Maga and importing a Krav Maga instructor for a day or two to help kickstart the program.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: