Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    ryan

Re: KM vs Jiu Jitsu

When BJJ classes start being held in parking lots, then I’ll take a harder look at the style for self defense. 😉

All kidding aside, I think BJJ is a great art and a good support system, but what Don says is quite true. The way something is trained makes all the difference in the world.

alfakrav

and if you ever had the chance to train with Ryan Hoover and Jeff Jimmo they really explain differences well of between sport fighting and street fighting. Not going to quote them, since Ryan has this thing with beating on me every time they come to the San Antonio center.

PS Ryan, Jeff can’t wait to see you two at the grand opening. Then I will be off to alaska in July/August. you two ever want to come to Alaska for hunting/fishing ( no snowmobiling…….) let me know, going to see if I can set up Krav there since doesn’t look like there is anyone out there currently teaching.

te

I have been in a streetfight before and used only BJJ. It was a one on one encounter on concrete. It was over fast and I was happy with the results. Even though it was on concrete, I didn’t feel a thing. Afterwards, I noticed my elbow was kind of cut open and bleeding, but with the adrenaline, I didn’t notice the hard surface at all.

Plus, getting scraped on the concrete or asphalt is a small price to pay to WIN, as opposed to possibly getting knocked out on any surface. Not only will you get ko’d which could be pretty damaging to your health, you could also hit your head on the way down if it’s in a parking lot and finally, if you are KO’d, who knows what can happen to you while you’re out.

You HAVE to train in KM to be ready for anything. But some of the reasons why people don’t like BJJ are more myth than truth.

nate

I don’t know about BJJ being the only defense method having “live” training. When you roll doing BJJ, it’s great training, but it’s basically just ground sparring using BJJ holds and submissions. When I spar doing stand up in a KM fight class vs rolling in a BJJ class, they’re both “live”. Obviously you don’t give 100% speed / power in either – otherwise you’d end up with more concussions, dislocated shoulders, etc.

BJJ is a great pairing for a more complete defense training – someone who knows BJJ and KM well won’t go down easy.

la-revancha

quote Lv_Chamarro:

Why would you pick KM over Jiu Jitsu?

I am leaning towards KM…But like what my cousin is learning at his BJJ classes…

Cross-pollinate. Individuals obviously have their preferences: only Krav; only BJJ; KM & BJJ; BJJ & Judo; KM & JKD; Arnis & MT; krav and horseback riding.

As mentioned by others on this thread, and as we have collectively mentioned to folks for nearly 6 years now (since the old forum), ask yourself what your intended goals are, try out all your available options, and make up your own decision.

Our subjectivity may/may not improve the final outcome.

Good luck and keep us posted.

la-revancha

quote te:

Nothing gives you the feeling of self-defense based “live” training like BJJ. It’s the only art where you give and receive 100%.

I must respectfully disagree. Coming up on six years training BJJ, and last saturday competed in my 11th? tourny of this year.

Competition indeed mimics the adrenalization, but in those six years of BJJ, which occurred both east/west coasts, I don’t recall training:
    -consistently outside.
    -in dimly lit areas.
    -in alleyways.
    -on staircases.
    -mimicking carjackings.
    -training while cars and onlookers (sometimes police) go by looking bewildered at what you’re doing.
    -hostage situations.
    -situations when you’re seated or behnind a table.
    -when you have items in your hands (starbucks, laptop, holiday gifts, groceries).
    -mimickining verbally hostile exchanges that may/may not escalate to violence.
    -when you have loved ones/people you care about to consider before or after the initial threat.

And that’s totally okay with me! I don’t go to BJJ specifically for this type of training.

Besides, I would get pretty pissed off if I messed up my mizuno gi or lucky gi because of rolling around on used condoms, motor oil, or that human femur in the back alley (thank God that femur is gone). 🙂

Don’t get me wrong-I plan to be rolling the rest of my life (even after my MCL heals), but I must conclude that you have yet to practice the KM I have seen, learned, or try to teach.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

quote La Revancha:

I must conclude that you have yet to practice the KM I have seen, learned, or try to teach.

WOW – thats strong

la-revancha

Lastly, this may go against the prevailing pedagogy, but I encourage students to use whatever other skills they may have to get out of a pinch.

During stress drills, I consistently see students pulling out judo tosses, sprawls, arnis/kali/akido? knife/gun/rifle disarms if their initial defense doesn’t work. If they make it out, then fine. If they don’t, we all have a good chuckle about it.

Perhaps it is wrong of me to encourage this, but it’s another way for students to empirically determine if what they learned previously works or not.

Oh, and te, who do you train with in Santa Cruz? I know some BJJ folks up there.

I’ll go back to lurking now.

russell

[quote=La Revancha;40844]I must respectfully disagree. Coming up on six years training BJJ, and last saturday competed in my 11th? tourny of this year. quote]

well dont leave us hanging??? how did you do?

ofsoccer7

The krav maga that I train at offers a BJJ class once a week. In this class we learn about 40 minitues of BJJ and twenty minutes of random stuff the instructor knows like judo, kali, wing chun, etc. I really enjoy this class, but i was wandering if one day a week will make me proficient in grappling?

don

quote OFsoccer7:

The krav maga that I train at offers a BJJ class once a week. In this class we learn about 40 minitues of BJJ and twenty minutes of random stuff the instructor knows like judo, kali, wing chun, etc. I really enjoy this class, but i was wandering if one day a week will make me proficient in grappling?

What is Your definition of “proficient”?

All else being equal, one day a week will make you better than the guy with No days a week but not as good as the guy who has 2 or more days a week…

phlegmon27

Good point, detective! (Sorry, bad quote from bad movie)
    Don’s right. Any training on the ground is better then none. I look at my time on the mat as adding to my overall skill-set. If/when the fight goes to the ground, I have a fair amount of confidence that I can sweep, escape, and get back up. Or, if the dude’s 250lbs and has me pinned, I can triangle-choke him (if his buddies don’t bash in my head first). Always keep in mind that these discussions are “what-ifs”, and no one technique/strike/submission is going to fit them all. The situation determines the response and the more tools you have, the better.

:soapbox:

la-revancha

quote russell:

well dont leave us hanging??? how did you do?

Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQrvG6v9cWw

stevetuna

quote La Revancha:

Wow – what a dominating performance! Way to go, Christian!

don

quote La Revancha:

damn, you dominated that poor guy! lol

(fwiw, I was in limbo and didn’t see Steve’s post before I sent mine… 🙂 )

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: