Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Lets say you are in the uneviable position of being in someones grasp. They have you bent over and leveraged and they are throwing knees to your face and side. Is there a best way to try and protect yourself from a knee to the face and and a roundhouse knee?

clfmak

Knees can be defeated with a single leg takedown, although it won’t be the best structure for it. You can also try to block with the points of the elbows against the quads.

emil

This is NOT a good position to be in. While there are tons of defenses, you really don’t want to be defending knees. One will get through. Couple that with someone also taking you off balance and swinging you by the neck like a chicken-well you get the picture. Having said that: first practice clinch fighting, so that you don’t end up here. Second, you can use your forearms or elbows like CLF mentioned. You can also try to grab and dump them. You can try to pull yourself in close to them and grab them with a bearhug and look up, that will negate some of the space they need to generate power.Or you can punch their hip back with a straight arm, so far that a knee won’t reach. Again, these are all temporary solutions, most of which fail eventually.

taikei

Theoretically, a groing kick deflection to side ways will do. This worked on a slow speed sparr. If your knee is right under your face at the moment of deflection, at least you won’t get it to your face.
    If this is a full speed situation, I don’t know. Can a human simple reflex overcome this.

However if you use this as perceptional tool, possible. If get grasped in anyway and first thing in mind is to protect groin- head centerline, at least you could place your knee over this line. How could a man knee kick someones face through a knee on its way.

One other thing. If you place your right foot outside the opponents right foot or visa versa, I don’t see a knee coming to your face at least.

Just some theory. But maybe better than using your arm.

armor-all

This can be very situationally dependent. What type of grab do they have you in?

At a seminar with Bas, he showed us an interesting defense where you do some form of the Krav stabbing groin defense, underhook the leg around the hamstring, and either finish them off with punches (with the free hand) or a sweep, while they waste their efforts trying to maintain their balance.

Throwing elbows down at their rising knees is also a great (and evil) defense, but be aware that catching a kneecap in the little spot just between your elbow and tricep can be excruciatingly painful and temporarily render that arm useless. I learned that out the hard way a couple of weeks ago… 🙁

armor-all

This can be very situationally dependent. What type of grab do they have you in?

At a seminar with Bas, he showed us an interesting defense where you do some form of the Krav stabbing groin defense, underhook the leg around the hamstring, and either finish them off with punches (with the free hand) or a sweep, while they waste their efforts trying to maintain their balance.

Throwing elbows down at their rising knees is also a great (and evil) defense, but be aware that catching a kneecap in the little spot just between your elbow and tricep can be excruciatingly painful and temporarily render that arm useless. I learned that out the hard way a couple of weeks ago… 🙁

clfmak

Because you are close, you can use your sensitivity to move with the energy and add some extra force to his motion, hopefully letting the knee go past you to the outside, leading into hip throws and such.
    Knees can be dangerous to deliver if you involve weapons. Lets say you have a knife and someone attacks you with knees. If you can grab around the knee, you can easilly attack with upward stabs or you could cut behind the knee of the standing knee.

reverend-sin

Re:

Are these knee’s being thrown from the clinch? Because I saw an interesting move recently where a guy was throwing knee’s at a guys face but every time the Controlling guy went to throw the knees his opponent used his hands and forarms to hit the guy high up on the thigh pretty hard so he couldn’t bring his leg up into contact with the guys body.

caliwt

As said above, knee their knee or use elbow-point at thigh.

but don’t forget about controlling their arms too.

The situation discribed is very bad. As discribed you have been pulled down and low, possibly with a neck grab or arm lock. Going for a takedown may not be a good idea as they have so much advantage over you allready. You need to recover your erect fighting stance with some combination of \”choke/lock escape\” and knee control.

The Bas scoop could work, but if they have a strong posture pull they can just pull you down with your arm now stuck under their leg and/or bring the other knee up into your head. And if you drop that arm to defend the leg, then they now have a free elbow shot to your head.

Excuse my ignorance but what is the Bas Scoop. And by the way I know who bas is, it is the scoop that I am wondering about. 😀

caliwt

Armorall said, \”At a seminar with Bas, he showed us an interesting defense where you do some form of the Krav stabbing groin defense, underhook the leg around the hamstring, and either finish them off with punches (with the free hand) or a sweep, while they waste their efforts trying to maintain their balance.\”

I guess I should have said \”Bas Underhook\” but to me that is a scoop…..we call this move a gwat to tok sau in WT, then we just throw the guy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: