Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Knife disarm… then what?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    piyopiyo13

After successfully defending against a knife attack and disarming the assailant, what next? What are the legal and tactical implications of stabbing (and possibly killing) the assailant with the knife you’ve just stripped? Is this recommended?

kirsten

Re: Knife disarm… then what?

quote piyopiyo13:

After successfully defending against a knife attack and disarming the assailant, what next? What are the legal and tactical implications of stabbing (and possibly killing) the assailant with the knife you’ve just stripped? Is this recommended?

No, I do not recommend stabbing the attacker if you have neutralized the threat. If they are still attacking…. Then that is another question.

Even as a citizen you are only legally allowed enough force in which to defend youself, you are not allowed under law to “punish” the attacker. The only person in our (USA) society that is permitted to use punishment on another is a Judge. However, you can use whatever force necessary to overcome the assailant. After the threat has been neutralized, you need to disengage.

Here are to hypothetical examples:

Senario #1: Now, if you have done a knife takeaway after making a 360 counter w/punch and the assailant rushes you in another attack you are justified to use that knife to defend youself. The attacker has just tried to kill you yes? YES.

Senario #2: Now you have done a knife takeaway after make that same counter and you disable your attacker, maybe a full KO- maybe you dazed them. Then you are so adrenalized you rush and stab the attacker with the knife. This is BAD. You had the opportunity to disengage. While you may find a criminal defense attorney that can use the “twinkie defense” to save your bacon, it is doubtful. Or perhaps you can articulate you were so horrified and emotionally “checked out” and under extreme stress to explain your actions. But just know you should be able to de-escalate just as rapidly as escalate, and we do practice both in KM. Your training would likely come under scrutney if you failed to de-escalate.

So, I say after a good knife disarm- use the Nike defense and get to a phone and call 911.

Hope that helps clarify.

piyopiyo13

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve always found post-disarm step of a knife disarm to be the most awkward. With a gun, you can back away, point it at the assailant and cover your retreat (in case he has another gun). With a blunt object, you can hit him a couple of times in the head and knock him out fairly easily. But with a knife you can’t really cover your retreat (unless you know how to throw knives), and the knife doesn’t help you knock the guy out (unless it has a really heavy handle).

What you say makes sense though – if you were able to strip the knife from the assailant, he’s probably pretty incapacitated.

clfmak

quote piyopiyo13:

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve always found post-disarm step of a knife disarm to be the most awkward. With a gun, you can back away, point it at the assailant and cover your retreat (in case he has another gun). With a blunt object, you can hit him a couple of times in the head and knock him out fairly easily. But with a knife you can’t really cover your retreat (unless you know how to throw knives), and the knife doesn’t help you knock the guy out (unless it has a really heavy handle).

What you say makes sense though – if you were able to strip the knife from the assailant, he’s probably pretty incapacitated.

I’d be very careful with the statement “With a blunt object, you can hit him a couple of times in the head and knock him out fairly easily”, unless you’ve done it personally a number of times.

mgothers

One thing I’d like to add to the situation where you remove a gun from an assailant…
    You certainly should treat any gun as if it is loaded…but remember you do not know anything about that gun. One of our instructors pointed out that you may just be holding a paper weight. I would not rely on that gun, get yourself to safety in case the assailant does have another weapon.
    -m

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

“I somehow accidently cut him in vital areas while doing the disarm, my intent was to simply take the weapon away from him I’m not sure how his arm got so damaged”

::wheres the smiley face with angel halo icon:::

rd672

Cya

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: