Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics knuckle protection opinions

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    hicklinc

first class i didnt use anything second class i used kmww wraps not really a fan of wraps about half way through the class they were around my feet my question is what are my options i saw that a lot of people in my class wear mma style gloves would this be a good idea also i learned the 7 elbows at last class and by the third elbow they were skinned pretty bad is there any thing i can do about this i can just deal with it but if theres anyway i can stop the skinned knuckles and elbows i would like too

stuartf

Re: knuckle protection opinions

I use Everlast 180″ wraps. Make sure you’re wrapping them properly (there are tutorials all over the internet). The only time I’ve had problems with them getting loose is when doing things like choke defense where my partner is grabbing at them.

tomo

I think stuartf is right in that you’re not wrapping them properly. Most guys in my class use them and I’ve never seen any of them have that problem.
    Myself, I favor mma gloves but that’s just because they are quicker on/off.

hicklinc

im wrapping them properly just maybe not tight enough

tomo

quote hicklinc:

im wrapping them properly just maybe not tight enough

Could be :dunno:

….but then wouldn’t too loose be improper? ;):

phlegmon27

Get someone to show you proper wrapping technique. If they are coming off 1/2 way through class, then you are doing something wrong. I’ve trained for hours on end only having to make a few adjustments to the tightness.

Typicaly elbows get “pad-burn” when the elbow is dragged across the pad instead of being recoiled quickly. Ask your instructor to take a close look at your technique to see if this is the case.

hicklinc

i wrap my hands the way that the kmww book suggests

phlegmon27

Like I said, have someone help you out with it. I read a book about heart surgery, but I don’t think I’m doing it right…

jasjotbains

If you are having problem with wraps,try tying a piece of cloth around your elbows.Tighten the cloth whenever required. 🙂

hicklinc

what

jasjotbains

Tie a piece of cloth,for example a hankerchief or a small long towel,which will give you some cushion.Tighten it up as it gets lose !! I do the same !!:box:

neilm

When I first started training, used to get cut and “burnt hitting pads. Like phlegmon says, it’s largely a technique thing. I’ve not seen anyone at my club wearing anything over their knuckles, and after a while of improving I don’t get the issue anymore. If your knuckles are sliding against the pad on impact, it’s wasting energy and and not hitting/recoiling as well as you could. I still get them doing the outward horizontal elbow “jabs”! Of course, if you mean you’re hitting actual hard targets – heavy bag etc, and you’re talking about protecting from boxer’s fracture, that’s different and ignore my advice! I’m talking about focus mitts, kick shields etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: