Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    johnny-fred

If i start boxing, will anything i learn conflict with Krav Maga, or will it compliment what I learn? Also, are their any ‘dangers’ in boxing, because i’ve heard a lot of bad (and good) stuff about it.

And, is Muay Thai and Kickboxing the same thing, and would kickboxing be better to compliment my krav skills?

Thanks,

walker

No. Boxing will not conflict with your Krav skills. If anything it will just add. Muay Thai and Kickboxing are not the same. I have had very (very) little experience in MT. But I do know a few people who have alot of training in that, and Bando which is very similar, (but good luck finding a Bando school).
    They have gone to some of my Krav classes, and said that it is very similar in the techniques. The only real difference I think is that in MT, they train for sport. ( I think it is great for street also) But when fighting in competition in MT you need alot of stamina, so they really emphasize the cardio training in that.
    And to answer your question about Kickboing and Muay Thai. Kickboxing, you can punch and kick. Muay Thai, you can Kick, Punch, Elbow, and Knee. Just like the way Krav teaches.

It is two here and I just got back from the bar ,so I am going to reread this tommorow and see how I did.

dugfoot

I have trained in straight boxing, muay thai and the Bando system mentioned in the previous post. I believe all 3 have mixed well with my Krav training. I tend to do somethings different than basic Krav because of my kickboxing, ex. the 360 degree defense, but I understand why Krav does it that way. I didn’t at first but as I trained more and saw how 2nd and 3rd level training progressed I realized a method to their \”madness\” so to speak. Bando, MT ,boxing will definitely help you with your footwork, conditioning, toughness, etc. which will compliment your Krav. And, most importantly, your defense. Ex. using your lead shoulder to pick your opponents punch, high kick. This can also be used when you are on the ground and your opponent tries to punt your head. Your roll your shoulder in front of your chin to protect it and as soon as his foot makes contact you can trap and roll. Good luck and good training.

I think boxing will absolutely compliment krav maga training.
    it will build up what was mnentioned in previous posts. you will also get a lot of sparring and other live training.

I have boxed for 11 years (minus 2 year break) and have done krav for almost a year now.

There are slight differences in punches the krav way and the boxing way.
    The main thing is that you wear gloves in boxing. In boxing I mainly hit with the biggest knuckle. In krav maga we hit with the biggest two knuckles.
    It’s a slight different way of putting your fist on the target.

In krav maga this is a problem to me cause i’m used to it the boxing way.

sometimes it differs in boxing schools how they teach you to keep your fist while hitting a target. horizontally or vertically. for example when making a hook you usually have slightly more power with a vertical fist . however in a match it can seem to a referee that you hit with the inside of your hand witch is not allowed, so a lot of schools teach horizontal fist when doing hooks. with jabs it also differs from school to school.

The fact that you do krav first means you don’t get bad habits from boxing.
    The krav maga way is allowed in boxing too.
    I think it would be best for you to box doing krav maga style so you won’t get confuced.

Don’t forget that these are just details and they are very easy to overcome when you know about it.
    To me it’s hard to change to krav style because it’s so automatic, in a fight it doesn’t make a difference to me.

johnny-fred

Also, are fingertip pushups bad for your hands?

thanks,

angryangel

I have done some boxing over the years and have found that it builds opun Krav (and vice versa). While Krav is a straight-forward no-nonsense aggressive system, boxing can help you work some of the more technical elements of using your hands. In addition the footwork (side-stepping, working angles), strategy (yes there is a lot of thinking-on-your-feet type strategy in boxing) and conditioning elements will also be of benefit.

Boxing classes are also typically pretty cheap, and on offer just about everywhere in western countries so handy if you are travelling.

My only words of warning would be in regards to the quality of instruction, some instructors like to throw people in the deep end with the more experienced boxers for practice. This is no fun. Give the gym a miss if this is the case.

Always use good headgear, 16 ounce gloves etc and ensure that any club equipment is in good order. When sparring watch peoples attitude – if they get carried away and start going ape avoid sparring with them.

Sparring should also be of varying levels of intensity and almost never 110% to the head. You want to be able to form coherent sentances in years to come so keep this in mind.

While building the power behind you punches is fun and beneficial also remember that it is important to learn to avoid getting hit, this is what I like to work on when boxing.

Further be aware that boxing, while having great hands has no clinch skills or other ranges of combat.

Hope this helps.

Re:

quote \”AngryAngel\:

My only words of warning would be in regards to the quality of instruction, some instructors like to throw people in the deep end with the more experienced boxers for practice. This is no fun. Give the gym a miss if this is the case.

What do you mean with throwing people in the deep ??
    In the boxing gym I was in until recently we set up new boxers with experient boxers both in practise and sparring.

Experient boxers can help new boxers with basics and good tips etc.
    Experienced boxers can also be very good at controlling their power and speed etc in sparring to create a safe sparring session.

If the new boxer is uncontrolled in his techniques the experient boxer can deal with it better than another new boxer so it can be dealt with in a good way.

Another thing in our gym is that most experient boxers are concerned about the future of the gym and keen on making new members feel at home.

This is why I like putting new students with eperienced boxers.

If you meant that it is wrong to let experienced boxers use new guys as a punching bag, you’re right ofcourse.
    Also just letting the new boxers punch etc. without good instruction on how to is wrong.

Basically it would be a good idea to put new students together with guys/girls who are good coaches.

anonymous

I’d probably take Muay Thai over Boxing if you also do Krav Maga. In boxing you are limited to just striking, whereas in Muay Thai you’ll also learn kicking, kneeing, elbowing, even possibly some sweeps and takedowns (but no ground fighting). So it gives you more weapons to use, which is better for street fighting.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: