Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books KRav is best suited with boxing and MT

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    lions2011

KRav is a good system, I think it works best when cross-trained with boxing or MT. Many students I see in the early levels and higher levels have medicore techique on many of the strikes such as punches, kicks, knees and elbows. This is true from even watching the level 4-5 classes. I am in level 2.

Imagine if you had time to really develop your strikes with boxing or MT along with the street survival sense of Krav you would be very dangerous indeed.

Even watching the higher level students strike many of them do not properly have good technique in punches and kicks. My take.

I am no expert but I Can tell good technique from bad. In fact I am going to take some MT classes in a few months to really improve my strikes.
    What do you think.

stevetuna

Re: KRav is best suited with boxing and MT

I think that you’re kinda / sorta on the right track, as long as you distinguish between the sporting aspects of the other arts and the purely self-defense application of Krav Maga.

You can throw wrestling and groundfighting training (BJJ) into the mix as well. Knowing how to respond in the clinch or on the ground are important skills. Of course in a pure self-defense situation, we can use elbow strikes, head butts, eye pokes, etc. to help us prevail.

My background is boxing. When pressured, I’ll punch. I teach with a guy who is a TKD blackbelt. He will generally kick. Another instructor at our studio is a BJJ brown belt. He’ll want to break your arm or choke you out. We always revert to our favorite techniques.

Almost all training is good training. Best wishes!

kmman

It’s easy to get sloppy when the instructors push for intensity. Thats the challenge. I think working on your own to clean up your techniques is helpful.

That being said, I do not think taking Boxing or MT would be bad for anything or anybody.

kevinmack

I think the problem is that some instructors and students are taught and teach the system as some sort of self defense program and not a fighting art. Krav Maga has always been about fighting AND self defense. I cring when I see these “fighting” programs which are designed to introduce “fighting” to KM schools. KM is fighting. It has its own unique techniques,tactics and strategies. I think the other problem is that if you certify instructors in one week programs you will be able to have them memorize self defense techniques and drills but their fighting skills will be lacking.

I like to think of MT and BJJ as accessory training or skill sharpening. I took Muay Thai for about 6 months and while I feel that because of the clinch and throws it is an effective means of self defense, it lacks realistically dealing with a weapon. I took a few BJJ classes and had some grappling experience from my time in the Corps under the MCMAP program; BJJ is great for skill sharpening but if you’re facing multiple opponents, taking one of them to the ground to grapple with while his or her buddies surround you does not better your situation very much. MCMAP is the only thing other than KM, in my experience, that emphasizes only going to the ground if you cannot avoid it and get back up as quickly as possible. I like to go back to my MT roots to practice kicking and punching, because that training was much more technical in those aspects, even if my training was geared towards hitting an opponent under a set of rules. I like to go back to my MCMAP experience because when I had to use it on a deployment, it worked. I look to BJJ for escapes and submissions-not for holding but to enable me to apply maximum power to a weak point in the body with minimal effort.

lions2011

To Timmy.. I am going to try out some Muay Thai next month. I am just doing it to sharpen my Krav skills.
    How long did it take you to have a solid MT Base. Was 6 months sufficient. I am not trying to be a world champion lol Just for self defense only.
    BJJ I found way to complex !!! However, some schools offer special white belt program that only teach the basics I have found and I may try it out next year. First time I did BJJ I quit after 30 classes or so. The class was way to technical and most of the moves were advanced and I learned zero.
    I did box 10 yrs ago and it has really helped me in Krav.

lions2011

Why do they make BJJ so damn complex !!!!!!!
    My god I thought Physics was hard .. sheesh..

I noticed that a few schools now offer special “core” classes that stress just the basic core moves of BJJ rather than the million other stuff.

Sounds interesting….. May try it again next year.

Still Krav is a great system and I think it will continue to grow and grow. This is no fad. Akido back in the 80’s was a big fad. Krav is real and it works.

Krav deals with weapons, multiple opponents and stand up defense against chokes and holds better than any other system for sure.

Lions,
    That time frame is really hard to gauge. I grew up with two years of TKD, followed by 6.5 years in the infantry before starting MT. I’d say with little to no experience whatsoever it will take about 3-6 months of constant training to establish a good foundation of MT. It is much more complex than just punching and kicking: checking out Master Toddy’s MT site and specifically the instructor certifications describes how many number of punches and kicks you’ll be taught to instruct upon. I went to a one day seminar w/ Master Toddy here in Va Beach and I learned 9 punches with just my lead hand, as well as four different styles of fighting and the advantages each style has over another (ex boxing vs kicking, elbows vs knee, etc) Throw in the knees, elbows, clinch, trips and throws (yes, they do exist in MT) and the whole game changes.
    After about a month of fundamentals I’d recommend taking a bag conditioning class to work on your power, distance and timing. You’ll be surprised at the improvement you get all around.

lions2011

my god!!!! I hope my MT program is not that complex or I Will not be able to handle it along with Krav. MAybe I better observe a few classes before I dish out another 120 bucks a month lol.
    I was hoping for just a few elbows, knees and kicks and some basic clinch to help my krav maga.

The basics class will be what you expect it to be. I opted to put much more into it; I intended on being a competition fighter until I took a bad concussion that caused some symptoms from a previous traumatic brain injury (suffered multiple concussions from IED blasts) to resurface. I did a bit of research and reading, watched some videos and dished out some money for a seminar or two; all well worth it in my mind because in the end, I bring that technicality with me when I train. Its just another set of tools in your self defense tool box. Since then I’ve shifted gears and gone a different route, one that is much better for me even had I not had the problems again. Generally speaking, my brain and mind are more fit now than ever.

lions2011

I must say being a competive MT fighter has to be the hardest job on Earth. Getting smashed with shin kicks and knees. Not to mention Mr. Elbow Sandwhich in the face.
    I just train for fun and self-defense.
    Glad I will never step into the ring or CAGE.

glad to hear your injury is ok….. Have your done BJJ too. How was the hand to hand combat in the army. Please describe.

I’ve done a little BJJ. Combatives in the Marine Corps are not the worst thing, but by no means the best. You’ve only got so much time to teach a very large amount of people simple moves that could be executed while wearing body armor and carrying a weapon. Many Marines see the MCMAP program as a great thing, and it is, but access to the instructors and instructor-trainers and open time in the training schedule do not match up most of the time, unless there is a reason to run a belt advancement course. From the start they learn basic punches, kicks and some takedowns and throws. At each belt level they teach several techniques in standing, ground, takedowns and concerning weapons. Some belt levels emphasize more of one of those areas more than others but they all contain a piece of each. Additionally they use tie-ins and case studies to try to get a complete package instead of just a machine that knows the techniques. They use the Spartans and the landing at Iwo Jima as examples. The intent is to build character alongside technique. They also tie-in professional military education to expand the knowledge of the Corps and of their own specialties alongside their character and fighting abilities.
    From experience, the techniques are simple enough to execute and easy enough to do while wearing a fighting load, with a weapon. They won’t make you an expert in any one area, but if practiced to the point of muscle memory they will make you a very competent fighter.
    The best training Marines could get would be the MCMAP Instructor Course or the Instructor Training Course. For more info on MCMAP you can check out http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/mace/ The website has information about the program as well as information about combat conditioning. I recommend this for info purposes only, not to be used as instructional material or a program of instruction to follow and train with.

lions2011

To T-jimmy.
    Just how long is the Martial arts training in the army. Maybe only 4 or 5 weeks probably.

Lions,
    I couldn’t speak for the Army. In the Marine Corps MCMAP requires a certain amount of hours. Some of those hours are sustainment hours to retain skills learned previously and most of them are towards new techniques. Its supposed to be done weekly, but that varies among units. During Basic Training recruits get enough to qualify for the tan belt, which is the first level. I cannot remember the exact hour requirement off the top of my head.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: