Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga and Chronic Illness

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I was diagnosed with a chronic illness (Lupus) 16 years ago and since that time have had little to no physical activity. It’s not that I don’t want incorporate more physical activity into my life; rather it is the fact that my muscles fatigue so quickly…
    That being said, prior to my diagnosis, I was involved in the traditional Japanese martial art of Karate–something that I truly enjoyed! Several years ago, I tried to get back into the dojo but found it to be quite difficult.
    Now my focus has changed a bit. Whereas my interest in the martial arts used to be focused on the tradition and formalities involved in the training, today I am much more focused on self-defense.
    I have always been a small guy and as a result have always been picked on and bullied. When I was younger I really didn’t let this bother me, as I felt confident and in control of the situation; however, with age and my current circumstances, that youthful vigor has vanished and I long to get it back.
    I am looking for a system that will allow me to end any potentially threatening situation both quickly and decisively.
    Is Krav Maga something that could work for me?

guitarded-1

Re: Krav Maga and Chronic Illness

quote chigaroogarem:

I am looking for a system that will allow me to end any potentially threatening situation both quickly and decisively.
    Is Krav Maga something that could work for me?

Well as far as ending a potentially threatening situation quickly, Krav is arguably the best system to do so. The real question is…are you medically/physically able to get through Krav classes on a regular basis? I would suggest that you first consult with a doctor and get some solid advice on where your health is now.

Assuming you get a green light from the doc, I would suggest slowly building up your exercise regiment until you can step into a Krav class and get something out of it. I say this because Krav classes, by nature, are very physically demanding. You don’t want to step into Krav too early, feel overwhelmed, and then get discouraged.

Having said all of that, if you are willing to take the time/patience to build your body back up first, then Krav Maga just may end up being one of the most rewarding pursuits you will ever decide to tackle. I can’t reccomend it enough for building mental and physical strength/confidence.

kirsten

My sister in law has lupus, and when she decided to start training for a marathon, she kicked her lupus into overdrive. She was warned by her doctor to not train so heavily as this could likley happen (or even work full time, but she is pretty tough). As you know, it can cause some very serious conditions with your body stemming from the lupus. The worst of it is the side effects from the medication that was needed to treat the symptoms resulting from the flare up… She has had a very difficult time and I think regrets the hard training now.

Like guitarded_1 said consult your doctor first, then slowly go at classes once you have a release. I would recommend not going “full tilt boogie” at first and start with just one or two classes a week to get your body used to it.

As for if its the right system, you won’t find anyone here advocating against it. Krav Maga is the “nuts and bolts” of self defense. It’s everything most of us wanted to learn when we joined traditional martial arts, then found Krav Maga.

We all are passionate about Krav Maga and will support you any way we can if you decide to begin training. You won’t be short of advice here. 🙂

I want to thank you both for your advice. I realize that due to my illness, there are limitations that I should be aware of. I plan to meet with my doctor next week and will ask their opinion on the matter.
    I’ll let you know what the verdict is!

mr-jerk

Chig,

I have diabetes, and have been insulin dependent since I was a child. The diabetes has a tendency to wear me out, make my body work harder than most, and my susceptibility to getting sick is elevated do to a improper endocrine system.

All that said, I started slow, not because of the diabetes so much, but I just was out of shape a bit, and to be honest, diabetes or not,the physical aspect of Krav (Burpies, squats, punches, kicks, sprawls, etc.) whipped me into shape. This did take over a year though.

Definitely check in with your doctor, I go every six weeks, and just check in and I’m doing the best I ever have. The one factor that I have gained, which was not presupposed on my part, was the mental toughness and fortitude that Krav has drawn out, fostered and honed. My pancreas may have quit but guess what, I’m not. I love it (in a challenging way) when I see others breathing hard, their hands go down, their kicks not as snappy… this is when I think to myself that I’m not going to quit ( I do have to listen to my body though, as low blood sugars can happen). Once again work with your doctor!

Let us know how it works out. Even if you hang out and you can give 100% (which compared to others might be 25%), but who cares. Everyone where I train encourage each other and there is not much of any attitudes or elitist demeanor.

Hang in there!

Mr. Jerk

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: