Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga and Haganah

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    waskflask

I’m trying to choose schools in Broward County, FL. That is generally the Ft. Lauderdale area. I saw a school offering haganah which is they say is a like Krav Maga if anyone knows what I am talking about if they any experience that they would like to share with that. Also I saw a school in Weston, FL that teaches Krav Maga and it is Tues, and Thurs. Can a person get good training from two days a week? Also is there a difference between Krav Maga and Haganah and If anyone has seen that movie Bourne Identity or Bourne Supremacy is that what Mat Damon used in the movie, Krav Maga? If anyone can give me some answers to these multiple questions I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

johnwhitman

Hi. As far as I know, Matt Damon didn’t train in KM for his movie (we actually have people who specialize in doing this for the movies). The guy who developed Haganah, Mike Kanarek, has KM in his background so there are similarities. You can check their website for more info. You can definitely learn enough KM by going twice a week. We offer classes every night in L.A., but we recommend people go twice a week.

wim

Re: Krav Maga and Haganah

I believe that it was Kali (or some other FMA) that was used by Matt Damon. Of course, that’s a movie. It looked cool as crap, but so does Kung Fu in the movies.

clfmak

Man, kung fu gets no respect! Well, of course its all about the teaching. That, and kung fu is a lot less directly related to combat. But hey, who else can rip phone books and break rocks and guet run over by trucks?

jaceon

I currently train in Kung-Fu and Krav Maga and would like to point out, that while Kung-Fu may look flowery and ineffective, it can actually be quite devestating.

Krav Maga was created to teach people effective techniques in a short period of time, where as Kung-Fu has a lifetime of learning. Kung-Fu practitioners who have been training for some time have a larger variety of techniques to draw on, therefore will be better able to handle themselves.

That being said, of course it depends on the way you are trained, if your instructor is soft, be it in Kung-Fu or KM, your techniques will likely be ineffective as well.

clfmak

What kind of kung fu do you study? I also train in kung fu, and try to make it to krav and other seminars and such to balance it out.
    I don’t think soft is quite the right word for ineffective, especially regarding kung fu. \”softness\” is what keeps you from getting killed when facing more powerful people. But a good instructor should be able to demonstrate hard, external force. One of the best I’ve ever met constantly did tiger claw training with these big jars of sand gripped around the lip. He probably has no trouble opening pickle jars.

jaceon

I study Choi Lay Faht and Lama Pai. When I say soft, I was referring to the instructors who will only teach the self-defense in the more traditional arts in a slow manner. They add no real-life training like in Krav Maga. Too many Kung-Fu instructors train soft, and not for reality.

That is one of the reasons I enjoy the Krav training. But Krav will never replace Kung-Fu in my opinion.

anonymous

As far as I know Matt Damon was practicing Kali…

Haganah. I have only seen a view clips. Some of the good, some of the interesting…

I always had a golden rule studying from somebody. If the person was holding 15 black belts in differents styles – OK, more than 3 enough – than the person was not the right instructor for me. Because truly getting a real black belt takes at least 5-6 years. And if you are a master of everything, you are a master of nothing, as my grandpa said….

clfmak

Jaceon- Hey, I study choy li fut as well! 😀 And from what I understand, it is very similar to lama pai (same strikes and names- kup choi, gwa choi and so on).
    In my experience, it is not so much \”softness\” that is bad in self defense training, but a lack of randomness. There is no chaos in so may traditional arts, but they can get around that by being harder and more realistic (which is rare, especially in kung fu). The best reason to train in a slow motion manner is to develop aspects of fighting that are too chaotic to learn at full speed (at least as applied to two man stuff). Speed comes later- look at tui sao and chi sao- they are first learned slow, then move really fast at master level when the sensitivity can be developed. But if they were trained as fast and hard as possible from the start, they would plateau at slap boxing level. Same with things like the wall bag- you have to build power slowly while your hands develop, or you’ll keep injuring your hands. Like you said, kung fu is a long path, but you can always improve- just as long as you don’t get overzealous and injure yourself or develop poor form.
    You may want to look into the book Attack Proof. Most of the people that praise it come from a Chinese martial art background. Its focus in the development of principles of motion- body unity, looseness, sensitivity, and balance (as it applies to fighting). If you’re interested in the combination of traditional arts with the training of random, chaotic violence (it seems like you would be, if you study kung fu and krav), check it out. There’s lots of good drills (some very slow, others very fast) you can do on your own or with partners, and it strengthens your kung fu. Its also proven, real world stuff. In choy li fut, we’re always trying to be looser and use the body more, yes? Because I don’t train krav or other combatives regularly (in a group setting) maybe once every two months, the freedom of motion drills keep me in good condition for unstructured chaotic drills like knife defenses and multiple attacker drills.

Wait, wasn’t thins about haganah?

clfmak

KMMan- anothe good rule of thumb when it comes to instructors is steering clear of ones that list one day seminars they’ve attended as credentials.

jaceon

CLF,

I did not mean to make it sound like all techniques should be practiced at full intensity right off the bat. I do believe in a progression, but from what I have seen many Kung-Fu instructors, as well as instructors of other martial arts, is they NEVER hit a high intensity training.

As for CLF and Lama being closely related, the two styles, while having some similiar strikes (as many arts do) are actually seen as opposing styles in China. Many Sifus don’t believe the 2 styles should be trained together. But they are missing by staying involved in the traditional view of martial arts is that the 2 styles are complimentary. CLF is a good combination of Northern and Southern, including long and short range techniques. As well as some good trapping and Chin Na. Lama is great at anti-grappling and has some very interesting, but hard to find, ground fighting techniques.

BTW who do you train with for Kung-Fu?

anonymous

CLFMak,

I know what are you talking about…:)

theironman

Mike Kanarek

Isn’t he the creator of that F.I.G.H.T. system? I’ve seen floating around the MA magazines? I think the uniform he wears is similar to that of Krav too.

Sounds like the same dude.

caliwt

Jeff Imada of Kali Escrima was the fight co-ordinator for B. Identity. Rent the DVD and it has some good stuff in the Extras about the fight/stunt co-ordination. It does \”look\” like KM because of the similear evolution of kali and KM. Both are derived and related to \”knife\” fighting and so the stances and counters even in empty hand look simaler.

Hey, John, what moives actually have had a KM stunt Co-ordinator? and I realize that what they did in a movie may not really be KM just wondering what to rent next time I am down at Tower Video.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: