Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    biswajit27

Hi everyone

I have been training in km for the last 2 months..however i cannot afford the classes anymore..i was wondering if i can continue training at home.I recently purchased a punching bag and couple of km instruction dvds.How much will this help me?and will it be effective if someday i face a situation where i have to defend myself or my family?

thank you.

Re: Krav maga at home

I’d say it’s better than nothing, best thing you can do is get a partner to learn with you, video yourself, put it in youtube and link it here in case anybody wants to critique you. The chances that you’re the once in a few lifetimes geniuses like Miyamoto Musashi, I doubt you’d be able to learn by watching and assimilate what you see into well executed movement. No offense intended, but dvd’s are not a substitute for an experienced teacher and numerous partners.

biswajit27

thank you for your response.yes i totally agree with you there is no way i can master km at home by watching videos and practising alone..i understand that,but compared to someone who is not trained in any form of martial arts, will my personal home training help me in defending myself and my family against untrained attackers?will it atleast make me better than untrained attackers?

kmyoshi

You will definitely need a partner when training in Krav Maga. This training is better than no training and yes, if someone is untrained it will put you at a advantage but that doesn’t mean s#!t doesn’t happen (trained or untrained in KM).

quote biswajit27:

thank you for your response.yes i totally agree with you there is no way i can master km at home by watching videos and practising alone..i understand that,but compared to someone who is not trained in any form of martial arts, will my personal home training help me in defending myself and my family against untrained attackers?will it atleast make me better than untrained attackers?

On paper, yes. In reality, find a weapon of opportunity. Fair fights are scored, self defense isn’t.
    :chair:

I am not sure if you considered this but it may be worth a try. Many martial arts masters trained their students in exchange for some service. Have you considered approching your instructor or school owner and asked if they would consider allowing you to reduce your tuition in exchange for maybe cleaning the gym or something to that effect. I know it’s not the topic you were asking about but you never know. I know if someone really wanted to train and really made the commitment I would be willing to work something out.

As far as training my opinion is similar to the others, something is better than nothing, but nothing beats a quality instructor or at least some feedback from a partner.

Train hard and be safe my friend.

eilson

Well you can get this training at home but for this purpose you need a partner and trainer from that you can get instructions and training information. Its a fantastic training and everyone should get this training.

thestudent

I am also looking for sufficient DVD’s and Books for self instruction since the nearest training facility is 2 hours away. I would appreciate detailed feedback from people about who’s teaching materials have been recommended from instructors.
    Has anyone tried a few DVD’s to figure out which is most comprehensive and full of pointers, cautions, tips, etc? (Are any of these people’s videos comprehensive? Alain Cohen’s 6 disk series, Christophe Diez’s DVD “Krav Maga: Real life Situation Techniques, or Ran Nakash’s Bootcamp)
    Is there a book that thoroughly describes techniques, key focal points and exercises?
    (The Everything Krav Maga for Fitness Book;ISBN-13: 9781440524257, Physical Preparation for Krav Maga Vol 1; UPC: 874482003626)

kevinmack

This is the order I would get the dvd’s if you were looking for that:
    1. Darren Levines video set. Its about 12 years olf but a great learning tool.
    2. Eyal Yanilov’s KMG curriculum DVD’s. They are prety new,well done and detailed.
    3. David Kahns DVD set.
    4. IKMF’s curriculum set. I have only seen the old ones and not the more recent ones. The old ones were made as a reference for IKMF students so it was only visuals and no teaching. I havent seen the new ones yet.
    5. Kevin Mack’s DVDs (wait…did I just say that?)
    Thats it.

Since there are only a few KM books there is no excuse not to have them all.
    – Darren and Johns books.
    – Imi and Eyals book
    – David Kahns books (3)
    – Boaz Avirams book
    – Fighting Fit by David Ben Asher

not to be a dick but I see no reason to buy the Krav Maga for Fitness book.

esquire32

add ultimate krav maga set…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: