Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga beginner courses

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tj25779

Hi everyone, I have a specific question or two regarding the Krav Maga beginner courses that I am aiming to take up very soon, and one of my questions is do you get psychically fit during the training? I know that sounds dumb, but I’m currently a heavy smoker and drinker and am trying to stop and I believe a challenging workout while learning to adequately defend yourself and your loved ones would provide massive needed motivation to quit.

My second question is, in the beginner courses, say you train 3-4 days a week, what’s the standard amount of time in that training routine, in which you will become proficient at the basics and such?

Thanks for anyone in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

kmman

Re: Krav Maga beginner courses

You will become better conditioned for sure. Go at your own pace initially. You will see a huge difference pretty quickly.

3x a week is fine in my opinion. You will be come pretty proficient at the basics quickly.

tj25779

quote KMMAN:

You will become better conditioned for sure. Go at your own pace initially. You will see a huge difference pretty quickly.

3x a week is fine in my opinion. You will be come pretty proficient at the basics quickly.

Thank you for clarifying this for me, because I’m used to other styles of fighting like boxing and that typically takes around 6 months or so into practice for most to get a mantle on it, I’m glad to know this is all practical and I assume some kind of resistance training is in the sessions as well, for real life feel in the sparring and whatnot.

Idk if it depends on where I will be training for specifics, but I’m aiming to go to the Cherry Hill Israel Krav Maga location, where David teaches and I did a lot of research, and I know for sure he is legit and certified, so I’m guessing things are slightly different depending on the school the person attends, or is it very minimal in difference if you or anyone knows?

tzrider

quote TJ25779:

Idk if it depends on where I will be training for specifics, but I’m aiming to go to the Cherry Hill Israel Krav Maga location, where David teaches and I did a lot of research, and I know for sure he is legit and certified, so I’m guessing things are slightly different depending on the school the person attends, or is it very minimal in difference if you or anyone knows?

I train at a KMWW school and have not trained with David. I do have his books and video series, which are good. Based on my experience training with KMWW and the observations I can make from David’s videos, I’d say there are some definite differences, but also a great deal of similarity to the techniques. I’d say generally the principles align, but the differences appear in some specific techniques. A couple of examples:

The KMWW fighting stance differs from what David teaches. The KMWW stance has the hips and torso square to the attacker while David shows a more bladed stance — about 45 degrees, IIRC. KMWW’s rationale is having equal reaction time and distance on both sides with a squared stance. David mentioned protecting your centerline and groin as being advantages to the bladed stance. As you might imagine, there will be some necessary differences in certain defenses and attacks when the starting point of a stance is different.

Another specific is in the defenses against an overhead stick attack and a baseball bat type stick attack. For the overhead attack, the KMWW version and David’s look quite similar, at least up to the disarm. David presents one disarm; KMWW has two, both of which are different than David’s.

To defend against a baseball bat type swing, David employs a very similar (nearly identical) defense and strip to what he shows for the overhead swing. The KMWW defense against the baseball swing has little in common with their overhead defense.

It seems that David takes the idea of very broadly applicable techniques that fit a wide variety of scenarios quite seriously, seeking to minimize the number of choices the defender must may when presented with a surprise attack.

As far as getting fit for training goes, just go and train. As others have said, your body will respond.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: