Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums General KM Related Topics Krav Maga for a 16 year old

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    nicknitro

I am thinking about taking Krav Maga.. mainly becuase I heard it is the best type of martial art to defend your self and it is quick to learn. Do you think it would be good if a kid my age starts doing it? Also I heard this is one of the most brutal martial arts around(meaning you can really learn to kill somebody doing it) so what do you fellow Krav Magalers think? 😀

also… do you any of you have any stories where you were actually in a street fight and you felt you really used krav maga

topitbull

I think it would benefit you alot, no question.

You will learn to defend yourself properly and effectively and yes you will learn it quick.

I just hope you aren’t doing to it be able to \”kill somebobdy\”

This is not the army they are not going to teach you how to go out and kill people.

They are going to teach you to be able to neutralize a threatening attacker.

Whether that means killing him depends on the situation and most of the time is not necessary.

Its not some special art you have never seen before, it is merely many strikes, holds and techniques drawn from other MA’s that are street effective. (muay thai, boxing, wrestling, judo and others)

Also the aggressive philosophy of the system is what really makes it so effective.

Hope that helps.

rethel

Young Blood,
    Go for it man. I started when I was sixteen too and had the opportunity to work with some very talented guys. At the lower levels, you will see a lot of younger people, people that might even be about your size. I has been my experience that younger guys get fewer and farther between, leaving me to contend with guys who’s upper bodies way more than I do (I am a little on the light side 😳 )

I love the stuff and wouldn’t have it any other way, and as one of the guys said, \”Once you are used to training with guys twice your size, you know you’ll be able to tear apart anybody smaller.\”

It is a fairly rough and tumble system, but truth be told, the instructors keep it at a managable level, you won’t get hurt too bad.

If you happen to wear glasses, take them off before training 8) . You’re young, you’re small, and you’ll get smacked upside the head more than most. But in the end, its more than worth it.

michael

I say go for it. My 13 y/o joined under some special circumstances and actually looks forward to working out…..actually I think it’s more like he enjoys hitting me… 😀

binagaki

16 is usually the youngest a student can be that I will train. The most important skill they need is maturity because some of the content is more adult. Drills can be stressful, class is fast paced, and it can be very easy for someone younger than 16 to get overwhelmed. For the most part I can trust my students to NOT use what they learn to show off because they understand the ramifications. A 13 year old may not be able to make that distinction, and he would benefit more from a structured martial arts class that teaches life skills along with the techniques.

michael

Hi Bryan,

As I stated in my reply, it was under very special circumstances. He met with the instructor privately, too. He also understands that he is NOT to show his friends any of the techniques, is only allowed to train with me, etc.

I’ve been studying the \”arts\” for 20+ years and understand your point.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: