Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jay123

I know this person that says they won’t work. What are some point to say that they will and are their any recorded cases of them being used and working. Thanks.

kravmdjeff

Sorry, the website was messed up when I posted originally, and it had this listed under something relating to \”sprawl\”. Either that or I read it wrong. Anyway, in Maryland we had a student use gun from the front about a year ago. It worked just fine.

giant-killer

I remember John telling a story once about a guy who had just learned the KM gun defenses and a short time later was inside a bank during a bank robbery. The robbers got the money and fled but, apparently, one of them stayed behind harassing the customers, pointing the gun at them. When he was close enough the new KM student made the defense and got the gun.

The good thing about KM gun defenses (and really all KM defenses) is that they are based on natural instinct. In the gun defense, you make the least detectable motion to grab the gun and then get the line of fire off your body. You are not racing against the trigger pull, but against the person perceiving that you are making a defense, so this should work (if you practice with someone who knows how and when you will defend, it may be harder to do this, because he will react to any little motion you make, while the gunman will be surprised by your action).

Once he realizes that you have grabbed his weapon, he will most likely pull it back to his hip. The KM defense anticipates that and, instead of fighting that motion, goes with it and at the same time delivers a strong counter. This should stun the attacker enough for you to do the takeaway and complete the defense. If he is still strong, you can give more combatives.

I’d say KM defenses work, because we try to think one step ahead, anticipating the gunman’s reaction and then using it to our advantage.

brentw

At the Force Training Division we have a ton of thank you letters from military personnel and law enforcement officers that have used not only our handgun and rifle defenses but also stick and knife. To my knowledge I haven’t heard of a case where the gun defense failed. Keep in mind that there are a lot of factors and it is very high risk and it requires significant training.
    That being said – We have even had call from someone who learned the gun from the front defense by learning it from the videos and he snatched the weapon right out of the assailant’s hand.

I have seen the letters so saying that it won’t work is completely contrary to the evidence. What are they basing their opinion on?

jay123

It’s from a close minded guy that does modern army combatives. It’s an argument over at crossfit.com. So I can’t show the guy face to face. My Dad is an instructor so I have personal experience with the defences. Do you mind if I quote what you said about receiving letters on the effectiveness? Thanks for the replies and keep them coming 😀 . Here’s a quote from him: \”I have looked into it, in person, on video, and instructionals. So far I haven’t seen any that looked very effective. That’s why I asked if you had any you thought were particularly good.\”

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?p=203110#post203110

brentw

You can, but it will save a lot of typing to let him think what he wants. If he is happy with what he is doing then more power to him. If he is that set in his ways, a forum isn’t going to change his mind. If he wants to debate techniques, approach and methodology tell him to come here. I and others will be more than happy to oblige him.

cjs-dad
    Keymaster

Just out of curiosity did he happen to say which gun defense or was it a generalization on all of the Krav Maga defenses?

Thatís just a really vague statement is all. If you watched the Human Weapon episode there were certain techniques shown that just made me shake my head. Its not the Krav Maga Iíve seen Darren, John, Jarret, Sam teach. Who knows maybe he watched that?

Your friend needs to be a little more specific like ìI donít think the simultaneous redirection of the gun while striking will work if the attacker is standing in front of meî

Then we can show him this video a student took

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6hIOMLn8dE

Or if the attacker sticks the gun in your back we could show him this video also taken by a student in class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CaDTj0IUHE

This is Krav Maga based on the principles the founder set forth addressing the immediate danger redirecting the line of fire and incapacitating your attacker so ultimately you go home safe.

Theres a reason why Krav Maga Worldwideís Force Training division has over 400 Law Enforcement and Federal Agencyís it works with.

Its not because Krav Maga is a catchy name, its because the guys in the field who are constantly in a combative situation know it works.

Thats just my 2 cents that your welcome to share with your friend.

And for the record I wouldnt want to be on the recieving end of Brent doing any gun technique.

giant-killer

Looks like the skeptic on the other forum just heard from someone else that the techniques don’t work and saw a few on video. So nothing very specific, mostly hearsay. Let’s turn Brent loose on him and set him straight! 😈

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: