Home Forums Krav Maga Worldwide Forums KM Techniques & Krav Maga Books Krav Maga: How to Defend Yourself Against Physical Attack

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    markb-d6
    kior

Re: Krav Maga: How to Defend Yourself Against Physical Attack

Wow thanks for the tip, I’m very excited to get hold of this one!

ryan

Imi is the co-author, huh? :-/

oneness

With Imi as co-author – its odd, but …

It could be very similar to me with material from the BRMMA system. I have lots of video, notes and emails from my discussions with Bas on techniques and moves in the system.

Could easily do another 7 DVD’s or another couple of books, especially since we have updated lots of the techniques and also with the new MMA workout coming out. But since he is around, the two of us are working on this now.

at least that’s my take on it.

ryan

Yes, but Bas is alive and well and has a working relationship with you. I highly doubt you’d decide to write sequels to the Big Books of Combat based on your notes, without a blessing from Bas (and likely collaboration.) The implication here is that Imi would have wanted this book published, in whatever form it will be, and was active in it’s production. He’s been dead 10 years (which leads to questions of evolution, but that’s another story.)

kior

As I understand it there was always supposed to be a follow up to the first book focusing on unarmed combat but it never got published for whatever reason so I’m guessing a lot of the material has been around in some form or another for a while but it’s only now that Eyal’s got round to putting it together.

ryan

I understand that is the history. Look, the FACT is, Imi has been dead 10 years. I simply think it is a bit questionable to put his name on a book now. Just my opinion.

kirsten

quote Kior:

As I understand it there was always supposed to be a follow up to the first book focusing on unarmed combat but it never got published for whatever reason.

I am thinking because Imi passed away…

quote Kior:

…so I’m guessing a lot of the material has been around in some form or another for a while but it’s only now that Eyal’s got round to putting it together.

I am thinking there is some other motivation behind it… Put Imi’s name on a book and it may sell better? Oh well, its a book… Buy it or not I say it’s all good, so long as your learning and having fun! 😉

kior

Well I disagree, no point arguing about it really though as you say but I’ll definitely be getting a copy anyway when it comes out.

sdkraver

quote Ryan:

I understand that is the history. Look, the FACT is, Imi has been dead 10 years. I simply think it is a bit questionable to put his name on a book now. Just my opinion.

Yeah, I agree it’s a bit suspect to put Imi’s name on it. I’m willing to accept that the book was in progress during Imi’s life, and is based on material he and Eyal committed to writing over a period of several years.

I will for sure get this book.

relli-kant

Hmmm, technically one could make the same objection to the first book, which was published three years after Imi’s death, but is often referred to as “Imi’s book”. If the fact that that one was published after his death doesn’t generally bother people, I don’t know why it would suddenly be a problem for the second one. I suppose both were based on material Imi had written over the years, but were put into their final book form by others. Either way, it should be an interesting read.

ryan

Was it written three years after his death or published then? Why do you assume some people don’t have a problem with that book, too?

Look, I’m certain many of the things in the book are from Imi’s teachings. Guess what? Many of the things in other KM books are from Imi’s teachings. Does that mean he was a co-author? I’m sorry, it is just very suspect to me.

Buy it, don’t buy it, it doesn’t matter to me…just offering my thoughts.

relli-kant

I know some people have a problem with the first book, basically for the same reasons and I can understand their concerns, as putting Imi’s name on the book implies that he actually wrote and approved the final version, which was put together after his death.

But that’s really the same argument for both books. I’m not sure why one would see a problem only with the second one, but not with the first as well? Or is it because Eyal is publishing the second one on his own, while Darren collaborated on the English language version of the first?

ryan

Again, I never said I didn’t have a problem with the first. Regardless, I don’t think they are the same. One was being worked on while Imi was alive and was published three years after his death. The other is due out almost 11 years after his death. There was not much perceived “value” in using Imi’s name when the first book was published…few knew the difference. There is perceived value now, and the implications are clear.

Anyway, not much else to say here. I’ll agree to disagree.

kevin-mack

Bruce Lee’s book The Tao of Jeet Kune Do wasnt written by him. It was a collection of his notes,sketches and ideas collected by a third party with the input of his widow and top students. Yet many people have found value in this volume whether or not it is the book Bruce himself would have written. Most even agree that it is very close to what he would have written. Many unfinished books have been published or collected by people other than the authors years after the author has died.
    If anyone is qualified to do this with Imi’s notes it would be Eyal Yanilov.
    Eyal was entrusted by Imi to organize the first international instructors course in 1981 and to compile the syllabus for said course.Eyal was the one put in charge of educating the first wave of American instructors. Eyal was the one Imi worked with to co-author the first volume.
    A lot of bull**** politics can be brought up between all of the different KM groups but Eyals ability to organize and structure the teachings of Imi Lichtenfeld and the trust that Imi put in him to do so cannot be questioned.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Get Training!

EXPERIENCE KMW TODAY!

For more information call now at

or fill out the form below: